Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Ended up finishing a ton of extremely short games I got for free last weekend:

54. Copoka (8/25) (PC)

A revolutionary government took over the country and closed all the borders and started rationing medicine because of something about a war. They've got propaganda speakers and everything, but you don't care because you're a bird. You just fly around and steal people's glasses and whatnot to put in your nest while conveniently overhearing all sorts of important conversations.

It's a neat idea that could've been something really special with a bigger budget. As it is, you don't really see anything and the world doesn't appreciably change in any of the four chapters. They set themselves up for a great, if extraordinarily pessimistic, twist, but then don't commit to it. You don't really have any meaningful interaction with the world. It feels like a tech demo for something bigger, basically.

55. Another Lost Phone (8/25) (PC)

The latest entry in a bizarre "found phone" genre of basically identical games. This one does absolutely nothing to shake up the gameplay formula, but it does tell a pretty unique (for games) story about a woman becoming trapped in and eventually escaping from an abusive relationship. It's alright.

56. Woten (8/25) (PC)

A really short and really easy puzzle platformer about collecting fruit to feed to a friendly giant bat. Some of it is cute and/or clever, but it's never anything particularly remarkable or innovative.

57. 2000:1 A Space Felony (8/26) (PC)

System Shock by way of Portal by way of Ace Attorney. You take pictures of stuff on a doomed spaceship in order to confront a possibly evil but definitely somewhat silly AI with its crimes. It over-corrects the AA problem with leaps of by color coding so aggressively that you don't really need to think about it at all, but it's still entertaining. I think they did something interesting with the final sequence, but they went a little too hard on leaving it up to player interpretation, and I'm not sure if they meant it or not.

--------------------------------------------

Wouldn't really recommend any of them unless you get them free, and even then they're not must-plays.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Abandoned:
Spoiler.
Shenmue: Stand around all day with **** all to do only to do a brief QTE and then be told you need to stand around all day again in order to wait for the next uninteresting thing to happen. The writing is subpar and the voice work is appalling even for a late '90s game. I can appreciate the role it played in inspiring great games like Yakuza and Persona, but I'll do so by playing those games instead.

Two Point Hospital: It's a solid management game that inexplicably forgoes a sandbox mode in favor of forcing you to play a repetitive campaign that introduces mechanics way too slowly and drags out each level at least twice as long as it needs to. I lost interest about halfway through.
58. Aaero (9/7) (PC)

It tries to combine music games and rail shooters and ruins both. Levels have almost nothing to do with the music, there's very little variety in the rather short tracklist, and the scoring system makes basically no sense. As a shooter, it's pointlessly easy save for the fact that you're trying to lock on to red objects with a red crosshair and red indicators, which sometimes means you haven't locked on to a threat when you think you have. That's immensely frustrating, and it's also the only thing resembling a challenge on most of the levels. It's possible that it gets better on higher difficulties, but it makes you pass all the normal levels with 5 stars before you can play those, and the hour it took me to pass the songs with any number of stars was already too much.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 am

Donut County

Donut County is a super charming puzzle game with a great sense of humor and soundtrack. It's a game where you start with a small hole and you have to eventually put every item in the stage through the hole as it gradually gets bigger. So it's very Katamari-esque. The game's super short (it'll probably take you less than 2 hours to finish it) and I wish the puzzles were a bit more challenging, but I had a great time playing through. If you have an iPhone, I'd suggest getting the iOS version of the game for $5 because I don't know if it's worth $15 on PSN or Steam. But if you're looking for a really charming time-waster during your commute or something, I highly recommend Donut County for mobile. I can't remember the last time a game has made me chuckle as much as this one.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:34 am

R-10. Dishonored (9/14) (PC)

As much as they're visually, thematically, and, at a surface level, mechanically similar, Dishonored isn't much like its sequel at all from a gameplay standpoint. When D1 gives you magic ninja powers, it forces you to take them and then emphasizes how cool they are and how much you should be using them. When D2 gives you magic ninja powers, it's with an accompanying prompt that basically says "but a real hero wouldn't depend on Steampunk Whale Satan!", and the rest of the game is set up to be doable as a regular person.

I hadn't touched D1 for five years before this week, so I came in expecting something like D2 and didn't initially have a great time with it. The game really has no answer even to the basic Blink power, so careful sneaking just isn't very satisfying. Then I got impatient and started rushing things, and in the process accidentally stumbled on where this game shines. Methodically picking the levels apart in the way you would a normal stealth game isn't fun when the enemies are so inept, but trying to keep ghost while sprinting through the levels is a blast. D2 is hands-down the better stealth game, but there aren't many other games out there that offer speed stealth in the way this does, and so I think there's still an important place for D1.

That said, it does show its age in a few places. A few characters (Piero) are appallingly badly acted, ambient conversations are very obviously just randomly picked from a set of questions and answers and often don't make any sense, and the AI is dumb as toast even without having to deal with magic powers. The static parts of the world are as amazingly well done as they are in D2, but many of the moving parts could've used another pass.

All in all, still a great game and well worth playing as long as you go in with the right expectations.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:40 am

Calamity Panfan wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 am
Donut County

Donut County is a super charming puzzle game with a great sense of humor and soundtrack. It's a game where you start with a small hole and you have to eventually put every item in the stage through the hole as it gradually gets bigger. So it's very Katamari-esque. The game's super short (it'll probably take you less than 2 hours to finish it) and I wish the puzzles were a bit more challenging, but I had a great time playing through. If you have an iPhone, I'd suggest getting the iOS version of the game for $5 because I don't know if it's worth $15 on PSN or Steam. But if you're looking for a really charming time-waster during your commute or something, I highly recommend Donut County for mobile. I can't remember the last time a game has made me chuckle as much as this one.
So you played the iPhone version and liked it? I was intrigued by the game, but everyone I heard talk about it was playing on PS4, and I wasn’t sure if the iPhone version would be worth it.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I think it is. The iOS version also comes with a fun sticker pack for iPhone as well. From what I can tell the gameplay difference is minor. Obviously you'll probably have a better time with a control stick or mouse than a touch screen, but it was fine. Only time using the touch screen really frustrated me was a time or two during the final boss. I mean the game's also obviously gonna be a battery drainer on iPhone as well so I wouldn't suggest playing it a ton if you're going a long period without charger access.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:34 am

59. Old School Musical (9/16) (PC, Switch)

Terrible title aside, OSM has what could've been a really cool idea - it sells itself as a rhythm game where you're playing parodies of Mega Man or Metal Gear in the background instead of being a rock star. With the exception of an incredibly poorly conceived section that has you talking to boring villagers with normal game controls, the parodies are pretty good and the jokes land more often than not.

But that's only relevant in the cutscenes. The core gameplay consists of pressing the arrow keys in sync to either directional falling notes or left-right drums, but it's often not at all obvious how the patterns on screen relate to the music, and even if it were, the tracks themselves are so chaotic that success depends a lot more on reading the notes than having any kind of rhythm. I maybe could've lived with that if there was at least something fun going on in the background, but each section of music is usually just the same action over and over again. Usually it's just a million enemies being swatted away by one of your heroes even if that makes no sense for the game it's referencing.

Worse, the music doesn't always have anything to do with the game it's supposedly referencing, and I've got to seriously question some of the picks. The Mega Man and one of the Zelda levels use recognizable elements from those game's famous soundtracks, but there's nothing distinctive about the level that seems to be every JRPG at once, and the level that obviously uses the Pokemon RSE tileset doesn't even have midi trumpets.

I guess the name should've been my first hint that the devs didn't put too much thought into this one, but I'm a sucker for weird rhythm games. I hope someone else picks up this idea and makes a good game with it, but OSM itself isn't worth your time.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”