Why the "transgender people should use separate restrooms" argument is crap.

Moderators: I am nobody, The Deku and the Ivy

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 pm

There is no perfect solution, and I'm not really sure what the best course of action is. However, I'm positive that large public restrooms being unisex is not it.
Carthago delendum est

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm at work but couple things to address very quickly

[QUOTE="Phantom User, post: 1572603, member: 35827"]transgenders.[/QUOTE]
Not a good word to use. Like saying "blacks" or "gays" it's just not appropriate.

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE PUMPKINS!, post: 1572176, member: 18119"]^ Forgot about that but he did say "IIRC".[/QUOTE]

So secret is out: I'm a trans woman. So I prefer being referred to as traditional she/her.

Right back to my menial duties for a livable wage!

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:54 pm

LOOT, post: 1572621, member: 21459 wrote:Not a good word to use. Like saying "blacks" or "gays" it's just not appropriate.
Then what do you suggest to use when talking about either of those groups? An arbitrary "people" attached to the end? White people or whites, it's the same thing, just a useless word it dropped because clearly we're talking about people.
LOOT]So secret is out: I'm a trans woman. So I prefer being referred to as traditional she/her.[/QUOTE] I see. Understood. [QUOTE= wrote:Problem is, "at all" is too much.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
Of course. My main point was just that it's not a common occurrence in the adult world by any means for anyone to get beat down in bathrooms for being different/imperfect, and kids don't just zero in on LGBT, everyone gets it. My sister was tormented by black girls during high school, she couldn't even use the restroom or walk home in peace and nothing was even ever done about it (big surprise).[DOUBLEPOST=1447289673,1447289191][/DOUBLEPOST]
Marilink, post: 1572604, member: 23215 wrote:There is no perfect solution, and I'm not really sure what the best course of action is. However, I'm positive that large public restrooms being unisex is not it.
What problems can really come from a large unisex restroom? As long as there are locked stalls for privacy and safety (maybe alarms and/or restroom attendants for extra safety) it should be okay. If it's a matter of comfort, then yes, there is no perfect solution for everyone. It's better that we're all equally uncomfortable in a unisex restroom if no changes please everyone.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:28 pm

It's adjective vs noun. While the identity is important to a person it's never the sole characteristic of anybody. All it does is reinforce discrimination, where a person is nothing more than a target for hate.
I REALLY HATE PUMPKINS!, post: 1572635, member: 18119 wrote:Of course. My main point was just that it's not a common occurrence in the adult world by any means for anyone to get beat down in bathrooms for being different/imperfect, and kids don't just zero in on LGBT, everyone gets it. My sister was tormented by black girls during high school, she couldn't even use the restroom or walk home in peace and nothing was even ever done about it (big surprise).
Two wrongs don't make a right and two acts of discrimination don't cancel each other out.
What problems can really come from a large unisex restroom? As long as there are locked stalls for privacy and safety (maybe alarms and/or restroom attendants for extra safety) it should be okay. If it's a matter of comfort, then yes, there is no perfect solution for everyone. It's better that we're all equally uncomfortable in a unisex restroom if no changes please everyone.
There is no equal discomfort when victims of violence in public restrooms never got a respite to begin with.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:00 pm

unisex bathrooms are not the greatest idea in the world. I can easily see certain environments that would lead to situations whereby vulnerable people could be attacked/taken advantage of. I just lack faith in people to act with a god damn heart.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:13 pm

[QUOTE="spooky scary bearatons, post: 1572952, member: 30168"]unisex bathrooms are not the greatest idea in the world. I can easily see certain environments that would lead to situations whereby vulnerable people could be attacked/taken advantage of. I just lack faith in people to act with a god damn heart.[/QUOTE]
But as it stands transgendered people will still face being attacked for being in the restroom of the opposite sex. Allowing them to do so could (no, will) similarly lead to situations whereby people could be attacked/taken advantage of. I believe it is less likely for people to be attacked in a unisex bathroom. The only alternative to this that I can conceive is a third restroom, which is just not as practical.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:21 pm

uh.

I wasn't limiting my post to trans people alone. One example of many I can quite easily see. Women being taken advantage of in a unisex bathroom, especially somewhere where it's in the culture, I.E bars and clubs. Maybe you've never been to one or something but I've seen some truly repulsive people in those sorts of environments who will jump on any intoxicated woman, and people are TWISTED. My city is a student city, we have 4 universities here, loads of young and vulnerable people and there has been SPIKES of instances where women have been attacked/raped/assaulted, so I'm quite right in being concerned there.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:52 pm

I understood that you were including women in your reasoning.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:13 pm

[QUOTE="Phantom User, post: 1572953, member: 35827"] transgendered[/QUOTE]
IXNAY ON THE ED ARTPAY

Kil'jaeden

Post by Kil'jaeden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:29 pm

What about no bathrooms for anyone? Then everyone is equal and no one's feelings will be hurt.
The man who is blind, deaf,and silent lives in peace.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:31 pm

depends do i at least get a hole in the ground??

Kil'jaeden

Post by Kil'jaeden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:32 pm

That sounds fair. It is unisex, and everyone can just go **** in a trench in front of everyone else.
The man who is blind, deaf,and silent lives in peace.

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 pm

I am fine not calling them "transgenders," I understand and respect that, but if "transgendered people" is not acceptable, then what could I possibly use to describe this group? "People in which identify as transgender" is a bit unwieldy to use in a sentence.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Just "trans people" it's a good blanket term that actually includes transgender and transsexual without making the two sound the exact same. "Transgendered" makes it sound like a person was "transgendered" when they came out.

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:47 pm

Ah, all right. Thanks.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:13 am

I prefer trainsexual

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:14 am

[QUOTE="LOOT, post: 1572923, member: 21459"]It's adjective vs noun. While the identity is important to a person it's never the sole characteristic of anybody. All it does is reinforce discrimination, where a person is nothing more than a target for hate.[/quote]

I guess.

[quote="LOOT]Two wrongs don't make a right and two acts of discrimination don't cancel each other out.[/quote]

I agree but that's not really what I was going for.

[quote=LOOT]There is no equal discomfort when victims of violence in public restrooms never got a respite to begin with.[/QUOTE"]

Then what are you suggesting?

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:02 am

Go into whatever bathroom you want I say. They both get trashed equally because people are **** disgusting slobs.

Protip: If you have to use the toilet, you go in the toilet. Not on the floor, not in the sink, not in the trashcan, THE TOILET.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:58 am

The first toilet's usually the most messed up because it's the one the drunks and nutjobs head to, not because it's used the most.

There's really no need for toilets to be these massive things. Our local park which serves a very large amount of visitors has very current single-serve unisex toilets with a bin for sharps and robot doors with a maximum use time of 10 minutes. After it's used it washes itself.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”