The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: The Art... of Spritedude

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 am

Glanced back at the first page in this thread. I gotta say, I'm really impressed with how good you've gotten at your art over the years. You should definitely be proud.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:33 pm

You know you've improved if you cringe at your old art. Yeah, I've come a long way, you guys have definitely helped.

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Oh wow, I decided to take a look now that it's been brought up, and yeah, your art's come miles. I love it dude.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 pm

And here I am, back only to post in my art thread again.

Yet another character expression sheet. 5 down, 1 left to go.

Surge is kinda stoic so it was a bit of a challenge to get some good expressions out of him, but like the other sheets, this helped me cement his final design, particularly his face shape, his eyes, and his weird two colored hairstyle. I got it down, yo.

Also, I decided that Surge's powers were a little too generic, so instead of just blue electricity, he's actually able to generate electricity, plasma, and fire. And, similar to how Adam's scarf is always as long as whatever makes it look coolest in his current pose, the color of Surge's powers depends on whatever looks best with the color composition of his current environment. Selective realism and all that. In the pose to the right they're kind of a mix of red, blue, and purple, which I might just use as their default color.

WARNING: The next drawing depicts a MY LITTLE PONY character. Divert your eyes if you are not fond of such things.

Best bughorse. Thorax is like my favorite MLP character now, he's such a dork and I love him. I pretty much just drew this as a quick palette cleanser before I work on that last expression sheet.

Oh, so, cool thing about this drawing. Equestria Daily, which is pretty much the MLP fan site, featured it in one of their fanart blog posts. The creator of the site even followed me on DeviantArt. It's not a huge deal or anything but as a fan of him and the site I'm pretty psyched about it. :)

Red

Post by Red » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:22 am

Glad to see you're still trucking along with the comic, I've really fallen out of practice with my art lately. I need to get back on it.

Awesome to hear you got a feature on EQD man, I've not been keeping up with the website to avoid spoilers(I'm behind 2 episodes).

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:16 am

^I'm behind two whole seasons; what's this about a bughorse? :O
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Red

Post by Red » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 am

smol Kat wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:16 am
^I'm behind two whole seasons; what's this about a bughorse? :O
Without spoiling much, if you like Fluttershy and Twilight there's a new bughorse character for you in season 8.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:23 am

I love both of those ponies!

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:23 am

Nice work, Sprite! I don't watch the show anymore, but your rendition of the pony is very nice to look at.

I really like your character expressions as well.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 pm

*Quietly slips out of the curtains, walks up to microphone*

*tap tap* Is this on?

Uh, hey guys, hope everyone's doing alright. Last few months have been kind of rough on me so I've been a bit... reclusive, or, you know, more so than usual. Still drawing though, thankfully. Figured you guys would like to see.

As usual, click on the images for the full size.

My Little Pony alert! Divert your eyes! ...Eh, you guys seem to have been okay with it so far.

My cousin wanted a birthday present for his girlfriend so I drew her pony OC. I don't know how much pony art I'll keep doing but I'm really getting the hang of the style. Also love how the hair came out. Different than the usual straight spiky hair I give all my characters.

And now for some D&D stuff.

Well that shadow looks weird on a dark background but whatevs. I started a new D&D campaign with some friends so I'm drawing a few of the NPCs for fun. This is Beldryxyss, or Bel, an ally of the players. Compared to most dragons she's a bit awkward and ditzy, and maybe tries a little too hard to help sometimes.

I forgot how much I love drawing dragons. Anyway, here's one of the player's characters:

He's a... Lupin Warlock, I guess? I dunno he just wanted to be some kind of humanoid dog race and that's the closest we could find. I'm pretty lenient on homebrew races.

...This is the most straight up furry thing I've ever drawn.

it was kinda fun

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Oh, dude! Your artwork's been improving since I last checked in. I really like what I'm seeing.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 pm

The pony is delightfully sparkly, and the D&D art is very well done. Kudos!

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Thu May 02, 2019 3:25 am

*Claws way out of dirt*

I AM ALIVEEEEE

Yeah this isn't the first time I've given the whole speech about how inactive I've been and how I promise to start posting again before inevitably crawling back into the shadows. We'll see if this time is any different.

Anyways, I've gotten a lot of art done recently. I feel like I'm slowly starting to come out of a long art depression (maybe even a general life depression for that matter).

Starting off with some MLP fanart. Click on any of the images for a bigger size.

Gallus is definitely my favorite out of the Young Six, had to draw him. For once, I really like how the background and composition came out.

Here's Twitch from League of Legends.

This is honestly just a sketch I did for fun and decided to add colors to, hence the more rough look. But hey not everything I share has to be a polished piece with pristine lineart, right?

also Twitch is freaking adorable and you can't convince me otherwise

Here's a drawing of my co-worker. He's a dog.

He's a service dog that belongs to the security guard at the library I work at. Sometimes I just draw whatever comes to my head and for some reason he did. His name's Odin. He's a goof and is quite adorbs.

This one's just a quick fun challenge based on a video I found, featuring my character Adam.

Pretty sure I went over the time limit on all three but whatevs.

Okay this next one is kinda cool and I'll explain why in a sec.

So a guy on DeviantArt saw the drawing I did for my friend's DnD character (an Aarkocra Cleric), and asked if I'd be willing to do a commission of one of his characters. I've done commissions for friends, but never for randos online. The thought of doing so has crossed my mind, but I've always been very apprehensive about it. I don't know, part of it is the anxiety of working with clients who expect my best work for their money, and another part is the idea of locking myself into a "job" where all I do is draw things for other people, and not myself. I was very ready to say no, but something told me to just go for it. What could one time hurt?

The guy who commissioned me was very understanding and knew that this was my first time doing something like this, so he guided me through the process a bit and reassured me that there's ways to set limits if I choose to take more commissions, such as a limited number of slots, or simply opening and closing commissions based on my availability. Overall the experience was actually pretty dang cool, so cool that I think I just might open up for more commissions from people. I'm not exactly selling my soul or anything. God knows I need an excuse to get more practice in anyway, and the cash is nice too. So yeah, we'll see how it goes. I probably have to make a commission guide if I'm gonna do this.

His character reminds of like, a bird He-Man. Bird-Man. He-Bird. Bird-Man-He.

Okay, last one is just a quick experiment I did.

I've only ever drawn each of my characters from The Challengers in the same exact outfit every time, so I've been debating on whether they should actually change clothes in the comic, or if they should just be those types of characters that wear the same thing all the time. I figured I'd experiment with some alternate outfits for them.

At the same time, with them being superheroes and all, I've been a bit stumped about whether or not they make any kind of effort to protect their identity despite not wearing costumes. In the context of the story, Adam and Hector would be the only two who'd actually have to worry about such a thing (I'd explain why the others don't, but, spoilers). Hector wears goggles over his face while fighting so he'd be fine, but Adam doesn't have anything. I don't want to cover up any of their faces with masks, and I've toyed with the idea of Adam wearing glasses anyway, so I thought maybe he'd do a Clark Kent thing and wear glasses when not out fighting crime. Maybe he can even wear his scarf differently, draped over his front when he's in his casual attire, then when he's out superheroing he can unravel it a bit and let it hang behind him like a cape.

Yeah yeah I know, how would no one recognize him just cause he's not wearing his glasses? ...I don't know, how do Hulk's pants stay on? Have some suspension of disbelief dangit.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD MAN

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu May 02, 2019 9:28 pm

I LOVE THAT DOGGO AND THAT DRAGON!!!!!! Your lineart is really, really clean and you have a distinctive style, it's really awesome to see.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 am

Bird dude reminds me of Silverhawks! Good work all around, glad to see you're still at it! We should seriously do a draw chat thing to push pixels around together again sometime soon. Any days good for you?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am

Tell your coworker he's a good boy for me.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 pm

Valigarmander wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am
Will do.
е и ժ е я wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 am
Bird dude reminds me of Silverhawks! Good work all around, glad to see you're still at it! We should seriously do a draw chat thing to push pixels around together again sometime soon. Any days good for you?
I'd be super down for that. I should be free this Thursday and Friday if that works for you.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 am

Spritedude wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 pm
Valigarmander wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am
Will do.
е и ժ е я wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 am
I'd be super down for that. I should be free this Thursday and Friday if that works for you.
Can-do m8, your evening good for you?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 pm

е и ժ е я wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 am
Can-do m8, your evening good for you?
That should work fine. I guess message me here or on Facebook to work out a specific time?

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”