If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Things in video games that always unnerve/scare you.

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Things in video games that always unnerve/scare you.

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:12 am

One thing that's always made me uneasy (though not as much now as it did when I was young) was deep, underwater sections. There's something about being in dark, boundless water, far beneath the surface, that I found incredibly unnerving. It was even worse in games that featured the thread of drowning. The Titanic stage from Gex 64 (pictured above) was a notable example, made all the worse by the game's horrendously-close draw distance that made the undersea look suffocatingly dark, and the fact that the stage used the same creepy music that plays in the horror-themed levels. Jolly Roger's Lagoon in Banjo-Tooie was another underwater stage that creeped me out.

Things that can crush you are another thing that always got me, particularly in games where crushing is an instant kill regardless of any health or protection you may have. The compressors in the Mecha Castle of Yoshi's Story were a memorable example from my childhood, as were the numerous crushers that appeared throughout the Genesis-era Sonic the Hedgehog games. Knowing I'd have to pass through them would always put me in a panic.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Re: Things in video games that always unnerve/scare you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:35 am

When the game credits are starting up, and a phantom screams 'SEGA' at you. That's pretty much the worst jump scare ever. Especially since you know you're playing a game made by Sega. :.(
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”