If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Judge the Book by the Cover

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Judge the Book by the Cover

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:50 am

First person to respond will rate the cover of the book I post (Minimum 0 stars, through to maximum of 5 stars), and then post a cover to be rated by the next person.

Let me start with...

You can always check the ratings at goodreads afterwards to see how your rating compared to others. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Apollo the Just

Re: Judge the Book by the Cover

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 am

1 star. Provides a face to a character immediately, and dude looks pretty generic. Reads like a cover based on a movie release which is never a plus imo. Nothing glaringly awful about it but nothing really good about it either. Would absolutely walk past in a store.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 am

2 out of 5. There's a lot of unpleasant contrast going here and it has 'How to' on it twice which is really kind of unimaginative as titling goes, and despite the originalish assets it looks like a lazy mockup that someone made in 40 minutes tops and then probably spent the next day laboring over where to add the bargain-bin lens flare because it just HAD to have one. It gets a 2 because the palette is okay and at least there's no papyrus or anything that tasteless happening here.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:34 am

2/5. I get the Harry Potter part, but there isn't a whole lot about the cover that says "philosophy". In fact, the lighting and Daniel Radcliffe's penetrating gaze is more evocative of a romance novel than a philosophy book. Though if it were a Harry Potter-themed romance book, I'm aware of some even better photographs of Radcliffe they could use for the cover. Mmmm, daddy.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:42 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:34 am
2/5. I get the Harry Potter part, but there isn't a whole lot about the cover that says "philosophy". In fact, the lighting and Daniel Radcliffe's penetrating gaze is more evocative of a romance novel than a philosophy book. Though if it were a Harry Potter-themed romance book, I'm aware of some even better photographs of Radcliffe they could use for the cover. Mmmm, daddy.

This one looks a lot like it's probably about a sentient lime who wants to tell you about his idol, Max Schreck, the actor made famous by his performance as Count Orlok in the feel-good-hit of the summer, Nosferatu. I rate it Onion/10.

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 am

Not sure how I feel about setting fire to someone because you tried to take something of theirs. That's overkill. Say no to authoritarianism. On the other hand, there's something absurdly humorous about the fact that the defendant is making a dog shadow on the wall while being engulfed in flames. 1.5/5

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 am

1/5. Confusing, difficult to read, mildly irritating. The two half-guys aren't even facing the same direction. What's up with that? Would not read.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

^ 10 OUT OF 5 WHERE CAN I BUY A COPY

hello hi i am a walking Cressida Cowell advertisement have u heard of our lord and savior's upcoming book release

~~~~~~
е и ժ е я wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 am
2 out of 5. There's a lot of unpleasant contrast going here and it has 'How to' on it twice which is really kind of unimaginative as titling goes, and despite the originalish assets it looks like a lazy mockup that someone made in 40 minutes tops and then probably spent the next day laboring over where to add the bargain-bin lens flare because it just HAD to have one. It gets a 2 because the palette is okay and at least there's no papyrus or anything that tasteless happening here.
hmmmm funny because, respectfully, the objectively correct answer is 5/5, 5 stars because dragons;

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 am

Apollo the Just wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm
^ 10 OUT OF 5 WHERE CAN I BUY A COPY

hello hi i am a walking Cressida Cowell advertisement have u heard of our lord and savior's upcoming book release

~~~~~~
е и ժ е я wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 am
hmmmm funny because, respectfully, the objectively correct answer is 5/5, 5 stars because dragons;
Good cover overall, like the overall presentation a lot, although there's a crow on the cover and I honestly don't think he looks like a wizard and the crow is all like 'what who me?' like no one even told him that he is. Yer a wizard, polly.

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:36 am

3/5. It seems to include most of the guy stuff that a guy like me enjoys doing, like playing Guitar Hero or staring at my ample underarm hair. But it lacks other important guy stuff like petting dogs or taking midday naps. It's omissions like that that would make me hesitate to spend money on such a book.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm

5/5 - would buy that book solely for the cover

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”