If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Frustrating parts in good games

Moderator: X-3

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:00 pm

I got 120 in Sunshine. I agree, the blue coins are awful. It took me a few hours just to finish Noki Bay, and that was with a guide because god are they well-hidden.

No bigger indicator to me that Sunshine was rushed out.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 pm

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1631901, member: 34516"]
For me, it's that Subrosian Dance Hall part in Oracle of Seasons.[/QUOTE]

That was easy for me. The dance hall in Oracle of Ages, however....

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 pm

The UFO slider puzzle in Professor Layton and the Last Specter was particularly offensive.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Oh wait, got one

THE CABANA SLIDE PUZZLE IN WIND WAKER
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:48 am

That Germany mission in MGS4.

Although it's debatable if MGS4 qualifies as a "good game".

I'm trying to think of anything else. Not coming to me. I feel like there was definitely something that is shouting at me in my subconscious. I probably blocked it out because I hated it so much.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 pm

I had long blocked this out of my memory, but finding out about the remake of it (so zetta slow) made me remember...

Joke's End.

A frustrating ice-palace that's hard to navigate, a map that's confusing due to how convoluted the dungeon is, several parts where your party has to split up (oh and you have a party of two, btw. Suppose you die... LOL GAME OVER! Whereas every other time you revive the other one), disproportionately strong enemies... oh, and let's not forget.

[MEDIA=youtube]6Atv7UWUK_A[/MEDIA]

THE MUSIC.

OH GOD THE MUSIC.

You're going to spend at least an hour or two (and that's WITH a guide) in this dungeon. And this music is SO repetitive - it will grate on your ears! All it needs to be extra annoying is for Queen Bean slamming the ground or Prince P***s blinding you.

Follow The Buzzards

Post by Follow The Buzzards » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:07 am

The early licenses in Gran Turismo. I mean I guess they're useful if you never played the game but when you follow the series for a while and know how everything works they become a bit of a pain to do, since they're kinda mandatory for a 100% run. (Specially the A license!)

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 am

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1637839, member: 22276"]I had long blocked this out of my memory, but finding out about the remake of it (so zetta slow) made me remember...

Joke's End.

A frustrating ice-palace that's hard to navigate, a map that's confusing due to how convoluted the dungeon is, several parts where your party has to split up (oh and you have a party of two, btw. Suppose you die... LOL GAME OVER! Whereas every other time you revive the other one), disproportionately strong enemies... oh, and let's not forget.

[MEDIA=youtube]6Atv7UWUK_A[/MEDIA]

THE MUSIC.

OH GOD THE MUSIC.

You're going to spend at least an hour or two (and that's WITH a guide) in this dungeon. And this music is SO repetitive - it will grate on your ears! All it needs to be extra annoying is for Queen Bean slamming the ground or Prince P***s blinding you.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing this game now.

OH BOY - something to look forward to!!! YAY!
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:31 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1633111, member: 23215"]Oh wait, got one

THE CABANA SLIDE PUZZLE IN WIND WAKER[/QUOTE]

Man. What's with the slide puzzle hate.

Would you be offended if I offered you pointers for doing slide puzzles? I mean, I don't find them frustrating, and there's a kind of an easy way to solve them that people seem to got a blind spot for.

You're my cool homey, and I'd like to help you. Don't like the thought of you using a slide puzzle walkthrough, or playing WW whilst scowling. Ugh.
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm

^ the only justified slide puzzle hate is for the UFO one from last Specter. Trust me on that one

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Well, I mean. I haven't got to 'Last Spectre', yet, but as I recall the slidey puzzles from the Layton games are deffo diffo. Like, you need to figure out how to get things from point A to point B, innit, despite the inherent spikeyness and noncongruency. That's not really the same thing. The Cabana is all just normal square sliding tile puzzles, wall-to-wall. There's a kind of universal strategy one can apply to those, that doesn't apply elsewhere.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:58 pm

^I'm curious, legitimately.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Well, I mean, it isn't foolproof (like what is). But most sliding-tile puzzles are of a type. They show you the intended result, the missing tile is in the bottom-right-hand corner. 4-by-4 slider. So you start off by filling in the top-most row. Getting that done, and out of the way. Once you've got that into place, you've reduced the difficulty by a quarter------------you only got twelve spaces to worry about, not sixteen, right. Like, one hopes you won't need to touch those spaces no more. So, next you knock out the next row down from the top. Get that done, you're down to eight.

Like, I'll not pretend it's easy as pie from that point. You still have a lot of shuffling around to do. And you might have to give up and start over at any rate. But, like, give yourself a fightin chance, here, man. Heck of a lot fewer ways for eight tiles to be wrong than sixteen, innit.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 pm

So I'm replaying Super Paper Mario because I remember really liking it my first time around, and it's been ages.

Absolutely holding up so far. The writing is SOOOO good, and I'm appreciating the level design with the 3D mechanic so much. The soundtrack is incredible. The atmosphere of each world/level is so creative and fun. I absolutely love this game. I was afraid it was just warped memories and nostalgia talking and that I would hate it upon re-playing, but I'm enjoying and appreciating it even more than I did the first time.

But. Yo. The backtracking. Backtracking in a platformer should NOT be so prevalent, y'all. I really like the Overthere Stair conceptually, but that entire level is JUST PADDED BY BACKTRACKING. The Crag level was bad with this too but nowhere near on the same tier. Literally if you took out the backtracking this would be near the best damn game ever made, but the few levels that are bad about this just ruin good levels by making me hate them because I have to re-do platforming I've already done.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 pm

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1638058, member: 30977"] Backtracking in a platformer should NOT be so prevalent, y'all.[/QUOTE]
*furiously scribbles out piece of paper labeled "Reasons AJ Should Try Out More Metroid and Castlevania Games"*
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm

SPM is a RPG-platformer so the backtracking is kind of inevitable. It's not like the PM series is shy about that sort of thing anyway.

Speaking of which, the Fish Egg hunt in Majora's Mask is a slog.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Yeah maybe it's just a personal pet peeve. I like going back to earlier areas by choice and finding new extra secrets here and there with new power ups, but I am not a huge fan of being forced to go back to earlier levels with new abilities to progress. I know that's a thing in some series/genres but it's always bothered me. Either I get lost on the way, or I know where I'm going and get bored because it's platforming I've already done.

Some segments are fine (like backtracking in the Underwhere after getting Luigi is fun because what was a difficult puzzle on the way as Mario is now a cinch because Luigi can just jump over obstacles that Mario had to navigate), but others just feel like artificially lengthening the level by making me re-play parts of it. So I guess backtracking isn't necessarily the issue so much as bland execution of it at times.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 am

As much as I love Dragon Quest VII (I say the 3DS version is easily one of the best games in the series next to VIII and IX), Dharma TempHELL / HELLtrades Abbey is definitely a frustrating bit.

It's easily the longest of the scenarios (before the 'disc 2' content) giving you several dungeons worth of content, multiple boss fights, including a gauntlet near the end, and for awhile you don't actually get to use your abilities you already have.

Fortunately the 3DS version made it shorter and easier, but it's still a rather frustrating part. I mean, if you had Keifer with you still it would have been a LOT more bearable.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 am

I don't know how I forgot the sequence that determines whether or not you get the bad ending in Persona 4, but that. If you're ever making a game and think "should I force players into the bad end if they don't navigate a dialogue tree exactly the way I want them to, and should I put that dialogue tree at the end of a 30-45 minute sequence of unskippable cutscenes? How about have another 20 minutes after that?" The answer is no.

One time I just quit and started a new playthrough instead of going through it again. >_>

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:21 am

^ that was what caused me to rage quit persona 4 on my first playthrough and refuse to play it all the way through for at least a year[DOUBLEPOST=1500736904,1500736633][/DOUBLEPOST]DP: you know what else is frustrating? Those timed fetch quests in OoT that don't let you warp. "This medicine will spoil in __ minutes!!! But for some reason the goddesses are **** pricks so if you use any means to get there as fast as possible it spoils automatically."

They could have always made the timed thing make more sense by *allowing* you to warp. "This will spoil by the time it's transported by normal means... are you sure you can get it there on time?" Like timed fetch quests are annoying no matter what but disallowing warping for no reason was always so
frustrating to me.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”