Announcement - Constructive Criticism Thread

VGF related discussion.

Moderators: Heroine of the Dragon, Shane

S1x

Post by S1x » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:05 pm

rest in peace, me?

Yeah I'll go back to Misc then. I do think merging forums is the right way to go.

On a side note, I don't even know if this is possible, but I wish the appearance of "What's New?" looked like any other board, with pointers to every topic on the boards, sort of like Reddit's /r/all
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

b l a n k

Post by b l a n k » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:07 pm

I still think we should separate the visual entertainment forums. I mean, hardly anyone puts videos there, let alone leave comments, anymore with all the ones we've been putting in the Misc. section.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Hottie: Could you put the game titles in the corresponding posts in the Mafia Hall of Fame? (Zelda Mafia 1, etc etc) [strike]Didn't want to clog that thread, hehe :3[/strike] well it's locked anyway but yeah.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Overall this set of mergers/renames seems smooth & logical. Word. :)
Kinda weird seeing what's left of the NetGen set dwindling like this, though.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm all for it. Mergers are good for us, we were too subdivided.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Colonel KR wrote:I still think we should separate the visual entertainment forums. I mean, hardly anyone puts videos there, let alone leave comments, anymore with all the ones we've been putting in the Misc. section.
That would be counter-constructive. We don't really need entire forums for what amounts to one thread's worth of activity in each. Consolidating them puts the activity in one place, and encourages anyone using the index to participate in other local threads.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 pm

L33t and Questions & Suggestions merged into VGF Main Page and renamed VGF Site Discussion.

VGF Member Meet-Up closed until it's needed again.

Nameless 3 merged into Nameless 2.

I don't really see the need for any new forums. Even the relatively busy Misc. still shows topics for the past week. Anything that does not slot into a specific forum could easily be discussed in Misc., General Gaming, or the appropriate system forum. I'm not ruling out any new forums for the future, but there does not seem to be a pressing need for any at this time. For that matter, it could be argued that a couple that we kept could still be consolidated further.

I'm open to suggestions on the Life name if anyone has any.

I don't think there's much modification that can be done to What's New.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Hmm. I have this to say to you Shane. "gg wp".

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 pm

...No, I've used up my joke for this topic.

I don't mind the changes. It's mostly just shifting everything around to fit how and where we're posting.

I don't have any real ideas for "Life Forum", except for something... longer? Like "Life and Relationships"? That's my two cents.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Alas, poor L33T Forum. I knew him, Horatio.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:55 pm

nyankat wrote:Hottie: Could you put the game titles in the corresponding posts in the Mafia Hall of Fame? (Zelda Mafia 1, etc etc) [strike]Didn't want to clog that thread, hehe :3[/strike] well it's locked anyway but yeah.
Thanks, Kat... I'll add that to the list of things that needs doing... ;) *leaves marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

ZeldaGirl

Post by ZeldaGirl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 pm

No criticism, just praise. I like what's been happening, keep it up. :)

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Not enough man on man action still

refund demanded

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Okay children, since this isn't obvious logic to a portion of the members, let me walk you all through some of the Admin's work:

A thread is the repository of posts.
A forum is the repository of threads.
And the site is the repository of these forums.

When a handful of threads are active in one place, they are getting a number of individual posts. But that doesn't warrant an entire forum dedicated to those few threads. You need many active threads to constitute a forum, and many active forums to bother having the site. Allowing a forum to exist solely to cater for the three active threads it holds is irrational.

The forums which have been condensed were significantly lacking in activity. Again, having a few popular threads in the forum doesn't mean that forum was active, especially as most of the perceived activity is over the course of several months; and those threads are all still accessible since the changes were made, nothing was lost by their relocation (except perhaps some minor amount of convenience since the forum it had been in was so dead that the thread never moved on the listing and now you might have to learn to click on "Page 2" of threads somewhere more active, this is a tragedy, we will have a moment of silence). When I say significantly, I mean today is the 25th of September and those forums had five or less threads posted in during this entire month. Five, or less, in the last 25 days. Some of their front page thread listing went back more than a year.

There are still a few more forums which also fall into a questionable place for activity, but are largely safe because of their purpose. For instance, Xbox, Mario, and Metroid have all been slow of late, but they aren't currently up for review. When we're talking a category offshoot of general threads, a forum which is extremely niche and also not active over a long period of time, then you just spread out all the interest and make the overall site look far less active than it really is (see: Val's thread). Being all tightly packed into fewer forums drives people INTO the forums themselves to explore threads and participate, not just trawling the New Posts and missing all of the threads which have been made before.

So, before expressing sadness or suggesting we reopen dead forums, consider this:
How many threads were active this month?
How many threads were active this year?
How far back did the front thread listing extend?

You don't know? Didn't notice? Never really paid attention? That's okay. The Admins do, and we made the decision to cut the dead weight and keep this place healthy. Your threads do not need an ultra-specific haven to languish along with four similar ideas. There are more than enough targeted forums still here that you can choose where your threads belong. And, amazingly, if they don't seem to have another place to live, we have a forum for all other general discussions which consist of various things: Miscellaneous. Come, post, and be merry.
Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Ok guys hear me out. Ok are you ready? This is so crazy and ambitious so I wonder if it'd even work out.

What if we took every board on VGF and just combined it all into one giant board? Literally, everything under the same section. We can take that a step further by only allowing one thread on the site. Ever. Every thread will be merged into this one giant thread and from then on we can only post in that one thread? It'd eliminate off topic discussions because literally everything will be under that one thread and since there's no ability to make new threads that'd eliminate copypasta threads too!!!

Think about it. When VGF is cool and hipster enough, it'll happen. It's the future people.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:16 am

Honestly, it's kinda silly to get worked up over which forum is where. Every post belongs somewhere. Make the post where you think it goes, and if the mods disagree, they'll move it to where they think it goes, leaving behind a pointer to the right place. Easy peasy, nice and easy.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 am

Nameless 2 and 3?
HOW DEEP DOES IT GO???
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:01 am

Aye, L337 forum, fare thee well.

Good moves, Shane.
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 am

^^The deepest darkness of VGF.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:11 am

I've heard that in Nameless 5, there is actually a secret link that will take you into Nameless 6 and 7.

Nameception.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Return to “VGF Site Discussion”