If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Summer Is Coming MAFIA -THE FORCES OF WINTER AND THE SPRINGTIME MARAUDERS WIN!

Where Mafia, the party game, is played with VGF members.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:02 pm

If you ask me, faster phases is an improvement almost always

Games drag when things go on for too long[DOUBLEPOST=1464825734,1464825697][/DOUBLEPOST]Well I was softing cop d3 with a shad peek I just wanna know if that worked

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:02 pm

The General Setup
So... I was tapped by HotD to be the moderator for this game. Why? Because this was an idea that was actually hatched by Scarecrow. Scarecrow wanted to craft a game where he got to choose the Mafia team. But obviously, one cannot mod and be part of the game itself fairly. So what is one to do? Tap someone else. So Scarecrow had a Night -1 action: Choose his cohort in the Mafia. He selected S1x.

The way role selection worked was that Scarecrow was given a random role within the Mafia. Everyone else was given a random role from those remaining. Finally, when Scarecrow selected his fellow Mafioso, if that player was not already assigned the Mafioso role, that player would swap with the randomly selected Mafioso. Don't ask me who that was; I don't remember. ;)

From there, I had constructed 20 roles. I figured I wouldn't get 20, but I wanted to have a lot of variety based upon the number of signups I got. And of course, I got to that dreaded number 10. A game around 10 is difficult to balance because 9 and 11 tend to balance better for reasons of parity. So, one of the things I did was use my tenth role as a cipher; that role was Ernie's as independent. Ideally, he would kill and replace another player on N1. That, along with the Mafia kill, would restore the game to perfect parity, i.e., D2 would start with 7 players instead of 8. However, that didn't happen as Ernie and the Mafia killed the same player on N1. (Ernie sapped the doctor, and then he would further be a thorn in the Mafia's side by preventing the N2 death. GG.)

I usually don't include a lot of vanilla characters in the game, but for such a small game I wanted a lot of roles to be more passive or nonexistent. This way, the Mafia wouldn't be easily overwhelmed. As such, there were two Vanilla, an ascetic (targetable only by kills, really a town negative in this setup), and a miller (which negatively affects the cop). This, along with the fact that the doc couldn't target himself, were the town's liabilities. Offsetting this was the Spartacus role, a role that could become very powerful if played correctly. It required a bold (perhaps a joking?) role claim early in the game. It was the only daytime ability in this game because I really do enjoy daytime abilities.

The Mafia had a similar hindrance and boon as well. The Mafia didn't have a godfather; they were completely naked when it came to the cop outside of the roleblocker. They didn't have any redirection capability either. However, they did have a "Town-like" power on their side, which was the spy (or messenger, as it were). Scarecrow used this just to send random messages, though I supposed he would have sent his name to players in order to play this more closer to a friendly neighbour. As a result, if played well, they could have evaded detection fairly well.

That's the general set up. I feel it played out very well, though Erniewan I feel really changed the flow of the game with those two lucky decisions, especially given that both his lucky actions were completely opposite (a kill and a heal) both achieving the same effect.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:03 pm

I figured I was roleblocked n2 for #reasons[DOUBLEPOST=1464825837,1464825766][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for hosting [USER=24425]@TheMissingLink[/USER]

Excellent job :thumbsup:

S1x

Post by S1x » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Scarecrow suggested kill monstrman first and I wasn't strongly against it. Probably should have spoken up more Night 3 when it was clear you weren't cop or doctor[DOUBLEPOST=1464826151,1464826071][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh hey, choose your own Mafia. Thanks for that Scarecrow
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm

I was going to claim independent at the end of D4, and protect IAN when you guessed he was the doc, but I figured that was too risky and S1x seemed like a done deal. :P

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Night Actions
Night One
Scarecrow
kills Marchie
S1x blocks Monstrman
Erniewan janitors Marchie and takes his role
Shad investigates I am nobody
Marchie protects Monstrman

Night Two
Scarecrow
messages Shad: "The cold never bothered me anyway. Luv from your pal Elsa xx"
S1x kills Monstrman and blocks Daos
Shad investigate Erniewan
Erniewan protects Monstrman

Night Three
Scarecrow
kills Monstrman and messages Erniewan: "Do you wanna build a snowmaaaaan? Because Shad doesn't."
S1x blocks I am nobody
Shad investigate S1x
Erniewan protects Shad

Night Four
Scarecrow
kills Erniewan and messages I am nobody: "Some people are worth melting for"
Shad investigate Random User

Other Miscellany
I want to thank HotD for a lot of inspiration for this. She gave me tons of inspiration for possible ideas for a Mafia setup, and I adapted one of her ideas and converted it into what you see here. And a lot of these series I'm even personally unfamiliar with, but Wikipedia has really awesome lists of superheroes and characters with ice-/frost-/fire-based powers, just saying. XD

I actually had one more independent role that I had wanted to include, but 10 players gave me no room to put it in. Maybe another time!

You are The Great Pumpkin (from Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin), part of the Autumnal Society.

All you're concerned about is to make sure the people of the world find Halloween a fun holiday celebrated throughout the world. You are a moychendiser. During the night, including Night Zero, choose any player other than yourself. If successful, you will give them a piece of candy to hold onto; this candy cannot be traded or dropped, though it will disappear from the game if the player is killed.

You win the game if any player alive at the end of the game has a piece of candy.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:02 pm

That Pumpkin role sounds fun, though nothing compared to my Deadpool role in SK's game where I had to plant bombs on everyone living and could only detonate after getting like 100 activity points or something. Sheesh.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 pm

This was fun

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 pm

I concur. Thanks for hosting, TML!

Daos

Post by Daos » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:10 pm

So there wasn't a janitor, it was Ernie. :lol:

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:09 am

Threads moved!!

And again, I want to thank TML for taking on this game with little notice and accommodating Scarecrow's idea!! :king:
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Shad

Post by Shad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:37 pm

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1597508, member: 19860"]Scarecrow wanted to craft a game where he got to choose the Mafia team. But obviously, one cannot mod and be part of the game itself fairly.[/QUOTE]

Monstr and I were in a game that allowed this, and I was lucky enough to meet the D0 conditions that determined who got to do the choosing. :)

It was basically multiball with 3 1-player cults who could each recruit up to two villagers, and I got to choose the leaders and could win with any of them.[DOUBLEPOST=1464885464,1464884587][/DOUBLEPOST]Awh, monstr thought I janitored the cop and was faking. :P

To date I've never claimed anything but VT as a wolf. Not saying I won't one day, but it's generally not where my head's at. I just try to be more villagery than the village and seed a lot of misinformation for when I go down.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm

I thought it could have been anyone

If you were shot idk who I lynch next

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm

[USER=40254]@Shad[/USER] It was fun playing with you, hope you play some more games here!
I protected you when you even before you claimed Cop. :P Probably should have kept with monstr, but didn't think the mafia would be so persistent at getting rid of him. No regrets (well about that, I kinda regret not trying to fake out the mafia, I think it would have worked).

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm glad you didn't claim when I said "yo what's the deal" because I was the doctor protect :')

Sometimes my brain makes dumb ideas and I go "good idea brain let's do that" without thinking.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Out of curiosity, SC, why was the plan to give me a fake result rather than Shad?

This was the first game I've survived and enjoyed with an actionless role, I think. We don't have a lot of "everyone is weak" games, but it worked well.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:49 pm

I think you guys need to be introduced to vanilla seer cover style games tbh

Actionless roles can be fun too you can solve the game easier with cop detects

I might run a vanilla 9er at some point it would be two mafia one cop and six villagers. There's a lot more strategy involved than you'd think

Daos

Post by Daos » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 pm

So...can I have a role next game that's not a miller or something else bizarre and scummy? :P

Shad

Post by Shad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Look on the bright side Daos: you peek red and the cop never died or got blocked and we still never lynched you. :P

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:47 pm

*cough cough* but we were going to if there was a next day *cough*

Return to “Mafia Headquarters”