If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The Official Mafia Hosting Thread (2)

Where Mafia, the party game, is played with VGF members.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

The Official Mafia Hosting Thread (2)

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Here's where you indicate your willingness to host a game of Mafia. Please note the following:

forums/threads/the-official-mafia-hosti ... st-1574500

And, here's where I keep track of the hosts... *gives you each marshmallows*

BZZZZZT. Updating... please hold while we adjust a few details.

The active hosting queue will be as follows starting now and going into 2016:

VGF active hosting queue (effective September 2016 - updated August 2017):

Erniewan (Queen Mafia)
S1x (Ridiculous Roulette Mafia)
SmoothOperator (Hot Potato Mafia)
monstrman (untitled experimental cross-community game) - TBC

:D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 pm

So... of these remaining people whom signed up to host, I wonder who's going to ACTUALLY PLAY A GAME HERE IN THE FUTURE???

Me? Ernie is going to be forced into the current game, Ian has already signed up and I'm merely hoping Thanous and S1x will join the next one (I Bet 5 souls of :D ).
Also, I think half of this list will be PURGED because many of the hosts are probably gone forever.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:25 pm

[QUOTE="Microphone_Kirby, post: 1566843, member: 26554"]Me? Ernie is going to be forced into the current game, Ian and Bel have already signed up.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me for not seeing this, but where does it say I signed up (assuming Bel = me)? O_o

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:07 pm

[QUOTE="Ringabelfry, post: 1566844, member: 19313"]Forgive me for not seeing this, but where does it say I signed up (assuming Bel = me)? O_o[/QUOTE]

*Looks at the current game's sign-ups*

...My mistake. Looks like you're not on that list. Ahahahahaha... ha...... :sweatdrop:
Fixing...

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:49 am

[USER=22385]@Heroine of the Dragon[/USER] [USER=22447]@S1x[/USER] Thanous reached out to me and said has not been able to load or log in on VGF for a week. Mind looking into that?
"You tried, step aside, you're denied." - Marie

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Thank you, Soft!! *gives you marshmallows* :D

ETA: [USER=37690]@Softguitar[/USER] we had a few server issues last week, but Thanous' account seems unaffected. Maybe clear cookies, restart browser??? :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:29 am

[USER=22385]@Heroine of the Dragon[/USER] He said he'd already tried that, but it didn't work :(

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm

[USER=37690]@Softguitar[/USER]: (I'm not HotD or S1x but maybe I can help?) Is Thanous on mobile or on a PC? If mobile, he might have to turn his phone off and then back on.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:03 pm

And to play the obvious card, if he's not the network or computer admin, it's possible VGF is getting filtered at one of those levels.

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:58 pm

[USER=19313]@StarryPeach[/USER] He already tried that. Phone, iPad, computer... nothing works for him.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Then maybe it might be an ISP thing or what Ian said above.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Dear Hosts (future, present and past),

[USER=37587]@Erniewan[/USER]
[USER=22447]@S1x[/USER]
[USER=19345]@Tazy Ten[/USER]
[USER=24674]@Daos[/USER]
[USER=37214]@Darth_Pokey[/USER]
[USER=39999]@Quads[/USER]
[USER=37191]@CaptainPlanet[/USER]
[USER=34539]@I am nobody[/USER]
[USER=37253]@monstrman[/USER]
[USER=19313]@StarryPeach[/USER]
[USER=38553]@Shaggy[/USER]
[USER=21510]@Cravdraa[/USER]
[USER=19860]@The Missing Link[/USER]
[USER=37446]@Scarecrow[/USER]
[USER=37204]@Squeege[/USER]
[USER=37303]@Pie Kat[/USER]
[USER=17429]@Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds[/USER]
[USER=1]@Shane[/USER]

Did I miss any VGF Hosts? How many players? [USER=21628]@ZeldaGirl[/USER] :lol:

Anyway.

Following recent discussions with experienced Hosts after a request for the queue to be reviewed, VGF will be adopting "VGF's Host Policy" which is complementary with many other online Mafia communities.

This does result in some changes, and I appreciate your disappointment if you are one of the Hosts to be affected. Please contact me via PM if you wish to clarify anything.

VGF's Host Policy

Effective immediately.

All Hosts must have played a minimum of two Mafia games before they will be considered as a Host. There are exceptions to this... if a 'new' Host can link to other games they have already hosted, or link to two other games they have played in, these games will be reviewed and taken into account. (This should be obvious, but Day1 lynches and Night1 death will not be considered as enough 'experience' to count as having played a game, therefore, activity and participation will be monitored.)

All new Hosts* are required to submit their game/roles/ideas to an experienced VGF-Host to review and offer advice regarding their set-up at least one game prior to their game coming up. This can be done via PM, private forum (if one is available at the time) or as agreed to by the new Host and the experienced reviewing Host.

All new Hosts are encouraged to ask an experienced Host to assist them with their first game (ie. a co-Host).

All Hosts will comply with 'Time for Sign-Ups'. This means that sign-up threads will be 'open' for a maximum of three weeks. At the end of this period, the numbers will be locked in. If a Host needs more players before the deadline, they can 'draft' other players to join. (I will set new member's accounts so they can participate immediately with PMs). Once numbers are locked in, the Host will adjust their game accordingly, if needed, and start their game within a week of sign-ups being closed.

All Hosts can only have their name in the active hosting queue once. To get your name on the queue again, you must have played in two or more games in the meantime.

All Hosts are encouraged to have their set ups ready prior to creating a sign-up thread. If a Host would like their game to be reviewed, they can ask in the Host thread for a volunteer, or PM me and I will seek out someone willing to help.

With this policy in mind, please advise if you no longer wish to be considered as a Host. The active hosting queue will be as follows starting now and going into 2016:

VGF active hosting queue:

Erniewan ('95 Games Mafia) - completed
S1x (Heart of the Cards Mafia) - completed
Reserved spot (surprise host - TML) - completed
Tazy (Super Experiment Mafia)
Daos (Nintendo Mafia)
Darth_Pokey and Quads (Majora's Mask Mafia)
CaptainPlanet (90s Nick Mafia)
I am nobody (TBA)
monstrman (c9++ Two Fold 15er)
StarryPeach(Fire Emblem Mafia)

NB: VGF's Host Policy is a work in progress, and as such, is subject to changes. All changes will be accompanied by an alert to Hosts in the active hosting queue.

*new Host is someone who is hosting their first game.

Additional information:
A "How to Host a Basic Mafia Game Guide for VGF" will be available soon(-ish).

And, I want to thank Cravdraa, Daos, I am nobody, monstrman, S1x, The Missing Link and Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds for all their advice, suggestions and support!! :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Two things.

1. So in order to run a game after this, I would need to play in two more Mafia games after the one I host? Or is that to just have two games on the list?

2. Are you going to alert hosts to put up their set-ups for review or is that on us? I'm assuming we'll get an alert.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:27 am

[USER=22385]@Heroine of the Dragon[/USER]: Would you kindly change "Ringabel" to "StarryPeach" in the queue, please? I'd greatly appreciate it.

And I, for one, am glad there are now rules in terms of hosting. Thank you!

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:33 am

Well, I'm glad there's rules, might as well say that first.

The original list was hella long and I doubt half of those games were even going to happen given how long Mafia Games tend to go on for.

S1x

Post by S1x » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:43 am

2 away :headbang:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 am

[QUOTE="Tazy Ten, post: 1574503, member: 19345"]Two things.

1. So in order to run a game after this, I would need to play in two more Mafia games after the one I host? Or is that to just have two games on the list?

2. Are you going to alert hosts to put up their set-ups for review or is that on us? I'm assuming we'll get an alert.[/QUOTE]

Yes, to host again, you need to play. If you have a particular reason you can't/don't want to, we can discuss it via PM. ;)

Only new Hosts (those who haven't hosted a game at VGF previously) need to have their set-ups reviewed. Since I consider you experienced, you will just meet me in the Host forum when it's your turn to Host. I'll be the one with marshmallows. :p

[QUOTE="StarryPeach, post: 1574523, member: 19313"][USER=22385]@Heroine of the Dragon[/USER]: Would you kindly change "Ringabel" to "StarryPeach" in the queue, please? I'd greatly appreciate it.

And I, for one, am glad there are now rules in terms of hosting. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Oops, I changed it in the first post... and well... I just changed it for you in the last post... >.> *gives you marshmallows* :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:04 am

[QUOTE="Heroine of the Dragon, post: 1574909, member: 22385"]Oops, I changed it in the first post... and well... I just changed it for you in the last post... >.> *gives you marshmallows* :D [/QUOTE]
Better late than never! <3 *takes and eats marshmallows* :thumbsup:

gameboyblue

Post by gameboyblue » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:46 pm

I can understand needing me to play mafia games here, but I am not interested.

I purposely want to not be influenced by this community so I can provide something truly new to it, I can prove I have played mafia.

I am willing to work with someone when I host and will like that and incorporate that.

[ player: smash bros mafia* ] [ host: the thing ice ]
*as USERGameBoyBlue

While I frequently host forum games off all types: rpgs, death battles, simulations, and scenarios of other kinds, my closest game to mafia has been the series I call the thing ice, which I brought here when I first entlisted in the vgf army. The Thing Ice was an expansion on my delightful first experience of Mafia, where I took the game and turned it on its head and pumped steroids in it. Its been a fun series and I am glad players were eager to follow it over from GameFaqs to play the session held here.

While I have done an FTL game in the past, I am looking to make something closer to standard mafia. It likely will be stranger than what a mafia regular would expect, but tame for what my recurring players would. :)

I would be willing to cohost one of the upcoming games.

This may sound mysterious and enigmatic, and really something claiming to be an FTL mafia should if it is what is claims. I do plan for some of that to change, soon based on some private ongoing discussions I'm having with Marshmallow.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:45 am

[QUOTE="gameboyblue, post: 1576500, member: 39967"]I can understand needing me to play mafia games here, but I am not interested.

I purposely want to not be influenced by this community so I can provide something truly new to it, I can prove I have played mafia.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's taken me this long to get back to this... *gives you marshmallows*

In response to your first sentence: this is somewhat the attitude of why the VGF's Host Policy was implemented, gameboyblue. We have lots of enthusiastic hosts but at the same time, a rapidly dwindling player base. If everyone wants to only host and very few want to play, then I can't see Mafia at VGF having a great future. It has been largely thanks to monstrman who seeks out players from other sites and invites them to join us that we have had such great support for the few games before Ernie's which just ended and only managed t attract 8 players. We cannot keep relying on monstr enticing people here (for marshmallows) for numbers... so it is important to understand that we require an even commitment from those wanting to host to also to be willing to play. ;)

Host list has been updated as of today... see you in the Hosting forum soon, [USER=22447]@S1x[/USER]!! :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Return to “Mafia Headquarters”