Pokemon Anime Mafia Town and Survivor Win!!

Where Mafia, the party game, is played with VGF members.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 am

Ernie i was trying to replace kat

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:30 am

^I think it was Kail that asked that, not me. But really? I thought she was about to be lynched... 1-Up was the one who was MIA.

Also yeah, I think there's no way IAN could have been blocked, unless Panfan has a block that would bypass being blocked - though really, wouldn't the mafia be better off blocking NPR than IAN?

I was going to wait, but I really don't see a better option at this point:
Vote: IAN

If he turns up town, we'll definitely check out Panfan, but hopefully this is the end.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:50 am

Vote: Ian
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 am

She asked. Also IAN is one to lynch I'll do a proper count later.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:39 am

Poke vote count:

IAN. (3), O Pannebaum, Erniement, NPR.

With 6 alive, it takes 4 to lynch. Day ends Saturday December 21st at 10pm US Central

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:41 am

NPR is also voting for IAN

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

/had plan that made sense
/got lucky about who Ernie blocked
/claimed I got blocked anyway for some idiotic reason >_<
/saving all of you time:

Vote: Selfdestruct

Mysterious NPR

Post by Mysterious NPR » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 am

*Who NPR blocked

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Ian was cornered. There was no way out. He knew he messed up.

"I was roleblocked!" he exclaimed, "I was trying to out Panfan."

But no one believed him. As they drew near, he pulled out his trump card.

"You may have stopped us, but you'll never get me alive!"

He pulled out a detonator and destroyed the c4 on his chest, exploding him into pieces. All that was left was his blood soaked claw...

IAN WAS MEOWTH, MAFIA GOON

Town wins!

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Hooray! Well done, town!

Monstrman did a good job hosting this game, even though he had problems in real life. I hope everything's better now.

Panfan, be less scummy next game. :p
"You tried, step aside, you're denied." - Marie

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Roles are as follows

Erniewan

Ash Ketchum – Mason, Pikachu owner, duelist/rival. You Are Ash Ketchum. Pokemon Master and star of the show! You don’t really have a lot of pokemon… but you have a lot of heart.You are masoned with Pikachu (name) and may speak with them outside the game. Every other night, you may either choose to return Pikachu to his pokeball, blocking him but protecting him from any effect that would target him, or duel a person. If you win, they become roleblocked. If you lose, however, pikachu becomes roleblocked. Also, you’re rivals with Gary Oak, If at any point you duel and beat him, you win again! The loser dies, regardless of what protection they may receive. That’ll show that snot-nosed punk for thinking he’s so awesome. Clearly you are way more awesome. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

"I wanna be the very best"

I wanted Ash Ketchum to be an interesting role, but at the same time, just as in the show, he's not really that powerful. The role may be weak, but the masonry with pikachu was strong. Also pikachu was a strong role.

NPR

Ash’s Pikachu – Mason, Pikachu. You are Ash’s Pikachu and you are in a masonry with Ash (Player name) and may speak with them outside the game any way you choose. Each night, you may choose a person. That person is affected randomly by one of three effects (Roleblocking, Tracking, Watching). You are told which effect they are affected by immediately, and three times per game you may choose to change that and they will instead be randomly affected by one of the other two. Ash can put you into his poke-ball any night, blocking this action. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

"Pika pi!"

At first I had pikachu have four actions (Kill, roleblock, watch, track) and his ability would make him use one of the other three. I decided having that many killing roles in such a small game would be unbalanced, so I made it what it was. What I didn't realize at the time is that this practically gave the town two JOATs. I was afraid the mafia was too overpowered, tbh.

SK

James – Mafia Muscle/Roleblocker. You are James, a member of Team Rocket; an organization that wants to kill all the gym leaders that opposes them. Your real goal is to capture Pikachu, but taking over the world is fine too. Whatever Giovanni wants you guess. As the Muscle, whenever you perform the kill it is guaranteed to be successful, going through any form of armor, roleblock, busdrive, protect, etc. You may only perform a kill in this way every other night. If at any point you kill Pikachu with this ability, you gain the ability to use your kill every night. If you choose not to use this power, you may instead roleblock a player of your choice. You win when the mafia outnumber the town.

“And make it double”

This was a fun role. Basically unstoppable and a really powerful action considering all the towns roles. I had two watchers though, so he could be outed easily. Hence the next role.

IAN

Meowth – Mafia Goon. You are Meowth, perhaps the only talking pokemon in existence. Being that you are a part of Team Rocket, you want to kill all the gym leaders too. I guess. Really you, Jessie and James just want to capture Pikachu, but taking over the world is fine too. Whatever Giovanni wants you guess. You’re mafia with (names here). You generally take orders from Jesse and James so because of this, any kill that the mafia carries out is treated as if it were carried out by you. You also have a one-shot ability to force any action that may target Giovanni to target you instead. Other than that… I guess you could be really annoying maybe? You win when the mafia outnumber the town.

“Meowth, that’s right!”

I wanted Meowth to be as annoying as possible. I feel like I accomplished that. The original role didn't have a bodyguard effect because in the setup, Jesse was mafia doctor. Mafia doctor was unnecessary with so few killing roles, so I made a one shot bodyguard on Giovanni.

1-up Salesman

Nurse Joy – Doctor. You are Nurse Joy, and you along with your… many relatives who bear an eerie resemblance to each other are the leaders of the hospitals in the pokemon world. As such, you have access to awesome technology that can save people from dying at night. Each night, you may target a player. That player is protected from all night kills that night. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

Fun fact: my original 24 person setup had 4 Nurse Joys and 4 Officer Jennies. Each of them did something different. I wish we could have played that one I felt it was more balanced.

Kat

Giovanni – Mafia Detective/Godfather/Armor. You are Giovanni, leader of Team Rocket. You have a great deal of money and power… but it’s not enough. You want more. You want all the power. You want all the pokemon. You need to kill all those who oppose you and then you win. and your mission is to kill all the townies that stand in your way. Because of all your money and power, you simply pay off the police, making you always detect as “town.” You are protected from all night kills because of your awesome security system too. You may remove your armor once every night to learn a player's role name and alignment by paying the right people. You win when the mafia outnumber the town.

Det/armor combo is pretty strong. I feel like mafia might have had a chance if the town was active... which is a really odd thing. A lot of mislynches were lost because of inactivity.

TML

Gary Oak – Town Rival/Cheating Duelist. You are Gary Oak, (awesome) grandson of Professor Oak and (awesome) Rival of Ash Ketchum. Well at least he thinks you’re his rival. You’re so much better than him you could probably beat him with one hand behind your back. While blindfolded. And upside down. Also sharks are involved somehow. Oh, also you may target any player every other night. You enter into a duel with them, but it doesn’t matter because you’re the best and win. They die. If that player is ash, you can’t just win based on awesomeness. You have to prove to that snot nosed punk just how awesome you really are, using your pokemon’s brute strength. Loser dies, regardless of what protection they may receive. If you kill him, you win again! You get the chance to win twice because you’re so awesome. Even if you don’t, it wouldn’t subtract from your awesomeness because obviously you were just too awesome to care. Awesome, right? You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

“Smell ya later!”

I lol'd.

Panfan

Professor Oak – Town Professor. You are Professor Oak, a long time researcher of pokemon. As the professor, you are well versed in the pokemon realm, and can determine what kind of pokemon anything is! You know almost all of them after all. At night, you may target a player. You first get the result of “Pokemon” Or “Not Pokemon”. If you wish, you may spend another night researching them more closely. If you do, you learn exactly what kind of pokemon they are! You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

“To make a complete guide on all the pokemon in the world… That was my dream!”

In the original setup, I had about seven pokemon. Unfortunately, there was no other detective role I could have taken from the original setup that wouldn't unbalance the town to the point of not making it saveable. Again, wish I had my original setup ;.;

Kail

Agatha – Town Medium/Ghost. You are Agatha, a member of the Elite Four that specializes in ghost pokemon. Because of this, you are much attuned to ghosts in general. As the medium, you are constantly able to talk to dead players. Upon dying, you turn into a ghost. You then choose one person to haunt. You may continue to talk to that player outside of the game, provided I am there to moderate. You may continue to talk to dead players in your forum during this time.

Troll role is troll.

ZG

Eevee – Town Evolver. You are Eevee. You start night one with the ability to evolve into one of three pokemon; Flareon, Jolteon or Vaporeon. It takes one full night phase to evolve. As long as you are Eevee, you have the ability to roleblock a player each night. When you evolve into Flareon, you gain the ability to nightkill a player every other night. When you evolve into Jolteon, you gain the ability to detect a player every other night, learning whether that player is “Town”, “Mafia” or “Independent.” When you evolve into Vaporeon, you gain the ability to protect a player every other night. You may evolve into any one of your forms at any time, but you cannot use that form’s ability until the next night phase. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

A little bit of a spin on a JOAT to fit the flavor of Eevee. Pretty powerful role, actually. Was a little sad to see ZG die n1.

Daos

Todd Snap – Town Watcher. You are Todd Snap, an up and coming pokemon photographer. Using your handy camera, you can take pictures of anything you want. Each night, you may take a picture of a player. Using that picture, you may find out exactly who targeted that player that night, if any. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

After you all talked about Tracey, I thought to myself "Dammit he'd have made a good watcher too. Probably better." But hey, this worked for what I needed it to. The town needed a watcher to counterbalance the unstoppable kills.

X-3

Mew – Survivor/Wooden Armor. You are Mew, and no one knows quite where you came from. Perhaps among the rarest and sought after pokemon, you are very crafty. Due to this, you are passively protected from any non-killing effects at night. You are also immune to the first night kill that targets you. You just want everyone to get along, and you really don’t care to get involved in the affairs of these people… you just got caught in the middle. Because of this, you really don’t care who wins in the struggle of good versus evil. You win if you survive to the end of the game. That’s it.

The original setup also had Mewtwo as an SK. The two were set to be lynchers for each other because why not.

March

Gary's Cheerleader - Town Cheerleader. You are Gary Oak's Cheerleader, and you love Gary Oak so much you want everyone to hear it every minute of every day. Every night, you may target a player. That player is immune to roleblocks for that night, unless they are Ash Ketchum. He's a loser anyway, Gary is so much cooler. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

There were a lot of town roleblockers, and I didn't want the important town roles to miss night actions because of silly things. It also pseudo-countered James' role.[DOUBLEPOST=1387477351,1387477108][/DOUBLEPOST]Also x-3 wins as indie survivor

Kail

Post by Kail » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:32 pm

so did you like... elect to not kill a dude ian?

because that was inspired. the claiming to be roleblocked less so.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Abstaining 4 days in a row is the new surefire way to secure a town win.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I'll try to be less scummy next time heh

I guess I just tried to be a little more aggressive at times than I usually am and sometimes I made posts when I was a little too tired. Glad y'all didn't lynch me.

Big thanks to my homie Kail. Couldn't have done it without you. STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:56 pm

You guys were so close to lynching so many townies so often.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Thank you monstr and ZG and everyone for the game. It was my first time co-hosting and it was a lot of fun. Even though I didn't do much. XD

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Kail wrote:so did you like... elect to not kill a dude ian?

because that was inspired. the claiming to be roleblocked less so.
My original plan was to not kill anyone and claim I checked 1-Up as town, get the Panfan lynch, kill NPR, say I was naive, and work from there. Then I got paranoid about NPR having tracked me and claimed to be blocked, which exploded everything.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Good thing I asked NPR to hold on claiming it, and kept it ambiguous.

Honestly, I think the biggest reason that the mafia didn't win was that they never really pushed or backed any lynches besides Panfan the whole game. I gave them an opening with Squeege (I knew for sure he wasn't mafia, but I figured at least Indie for Gary, why would monstrman put two townies against each otheeeer) but no success. Also, I think the town had a tad too many confirmable roles, making it harder for them, though it looks like softclaiming actually DID help this game when it came to Kat's claim.

Also, congrats to X-3, you did a good job as well.

As for Panfan... well, you have Kail to thank for your life, haha.

ZeldaGirl

Post by ZeldaGirl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Panfan is always scummy, even when town.

It was well done, IAN. I thought you would pull it off, at least for a day.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:42 pm

i'm actually trying to get used to actually being town. I think I've only been town three times. The first time I was killed night one and then it's been the last two games.

Return to “Mafia Headquarters”