If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Monty Python's Flying... Mafia - It's... (Day 4) MAFIA WIN

Where Mafia, the party game, is played with VGF members.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Daos

Post by Daos » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Everyone did a good job.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

next time I just wanna rand town

i'll prolly be lynched but being scum sucks

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:17 pm

I lied. Roles and what I meant from them right now:

(note in advance: as is probably not a surprise to anyone, I overestimated how much people would focus on XP. I expected it'd take 1.5-ish days per ability, and the true rate was much less than that. I didn't see a fair way of changing the XP rates after the fact, however, so we ended up with an effectively almost vanilla game)

[spoiler="S1x"]
You are Brian, Town
a. I'm not the Messiah! - You don't want any of this, and you're not going to accept it. You cannot claim this role

b. He's a very naughty boy - Despite your best efforts, you've become famous. Your enemies know exactly where you are at all times, and there's no point in denying the crowd. Mafia actions against you cannot fail, but "I'm not the Messiah" deactivates.

c. Alright, I am the Messiah! - Saying it won't make the crowd leave, but the shock of it might wake the dead. Resurrect a player of your choice who has been dead for at least two nights.

d. Now **** off! - …But that's not important. What matters is that you can use the distraction to run away and start a new life. Immediately after using "Alright, I am the Messiah!", exit the game

You win when no mafia players remain.
[/spoiler]

(c) was probably the strongest ability in the game, but it was paired with a terrible (a) and (b). It was meant to be challenging to take far enough into the game to use its full potential, but since S1x got offed N1, none of that ended up mattering much.

[spoiler="March"]
You are King Arthur, Town

Your abilities are as follows:

a. Camelot is a silly place - No one gets anything done here. Actions targeting you are delayed until halfway through the following day

b. I am Arthur, King of the Britons - And with the crown comes the right to tax. You may take up to 2 points from any player each night.

c. I order you to be quiet! - You may invoke your Divine Right to overturn any lynch and extend the day phase by 36 hours. You must cast a new vote immediately.

d. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! - Using "I order you to be quiet!" will result in a peasant revolution following your vote. From this point on, you may continue posting, but have no abilities, cannot vote, and do not count towards the town total. The resulting anarchy prevents the mafia from winning until the next dawn, regardless of the current player count. This ability is always unlocked.
[/spoiler]

Similar idea. (c) would be extremely powerful in lylo, but it's very difficult to claim (b) as a town ability, and (a) hurts the town more than the mafia. Also similarly, March died too quickly for any of that to really come into play.

[spoiler="Shad"]
You are Mr. F. G. Superman, Town
a. This is no ordinary man - You have no need for experience. All abilities are unlocked from the start. If a town player dies and you have voted for them within the last 24 hours, you must choose one of your abilities to permanently deactivate. This ability cannot be deactivated.

b. Bicycle Repairman - In a world as dangerous as this one, a good bicycle can be the difference between life and death. Protect target against killing actions

c. Our hero! - Your presence inspires everyone around you. Target can act twice the following night. They may not use same action twice.

d. Mash the dirty Red scum! - You can't bear the thought of helping a communist, and you're pretty sure you read that the mafia are communists. Your actions fail when targeting mafia players. You are not notified.
[/spoiler]

All of the four ability roles died in a row. Shad was the doctor and was unique in not needing to care about XP. Instead, he lost abilities for taking part in mislynches. (c) could be used as a sort of cop (and Shad mentioned trying this in the dead forum), but March and Daos both had (a) abilities that would make that unreliable, and monstr's (b) would make it initially appear incorrect.

[spoiler="RU"]

You are A Man with…, Town
a. …A tape recorder up his nose - Nobody'll find it there. Leave a message of up to 20 words to be displayed on your death.

b. …A tape recorder up his brother's nose - Now in stereo! Record a message from another player to be displayed on their death.

c. And now for something completely different! - This act doesn't have much of a shelf life. If a town player you have previously used "…A tape recorder up his nose brother's nose" dies, you may opt to permanently replace this ability with that player's "a" ability.

[/spoiler]

(a) was meh, (b) was pretty strong, and (c) was secretly crap because almost all of the (a) abilities aren't very good. RU never used any of them, so it didn't end up mattering.

[spoiler="AJ"]
You are the Cheese Connoisseur, Town
a. No, no, no. Don't tell me. I'm keen to guess - There's no fun in simply being told. You're sure you can figure out the game on your own. You may guess one character each night and received a "yes" or "no" answer as to whether it is in the game.

b. Will you shut that bloody dancing up!? - When guesses can't solve a problem, the only solution is more guessing. If you guess incorrectly three nights in a row, you may guess twice on subsequent nights.

c. What a senseless waste of human life - You have no patience for liars. You also have a gun. If any player lies to you and admits it, you may daykill them. This must take place within 24 real hours of the admission and can only be used once. You may do this by posting Daykill: Player in the thread. If this power is used incorrectly, you lose it.

[/spoiler]

More information! (c) was a very strong ability that was supposed to be very hard to use - people don't usually lie that late in the game, and they're even less likely to admit it. (a) and (b) were mostly only useful for confirming claims. With a character base this broad and most of the roles being as obscure as they are, I didn't expect any natural hits.

[spoiler="SO"]
You are The old man from scene 24, Town
a. What is your favorite color? - It's not a useful question, but it's one you feel compelled to ask. Choose a player, get a color.

b. What is your name? - Well, not quite. That'd be a little too strong. Instead, you'll get the name of one of your target's unlocked abilities. This is chosen randomly.

c. What is your quest? - Everyone has one. With this question, you'll learn the exact text of your target's win condition.

[/spoiler]

The main cop. (a) was completely random. (b) could confirm the general origin of a role, and (c) was a straight alignment cop.

[spoiler="Ernie"]
You are The Bishop, Town
a. We was too late! - You have the best sources on the slowest network. You always know exactly what the mafia will do just after you could've stopped it. May send the player that will die tonight a warning. They'll have a chance to change their action, but cannot prevent their own death.

b. We'll be right over! - If there's one thing narrowly failing to save lives teaches you, it's counting. Learn the game's starting alignment count.

c. Help! Help! - When there's real trouble, you always know when and where. Just not who. You will be warned at the start of the day if there is any way that any player can win that day.

[/spoiler]

I'm not gonna lie: I had nine roles for this game and there was nothing obvious for a tenth one to do. I spent an hour watching random skits, decided I could do something with The Bishop (who I'd never heard of before) and turned it into this. It's obviously extremely limited utility, but there are a handful of situations where it could've been useful.

[spoiler="Kat"]
You are The Blancmange From Andromeda, Independent
a. Man turns into Scotsman - Once per night, you may turn a player into a Scotsman. This is permanent, but has no effect beyond causing all mod communications to take place in Scots and making that player exceedingly poor at tennis.

b. They mean to win Wimbledon! - If there are ever more Scotsmen, including yourself, than capable tennis players remaining in the game, your Wimbledon campaign will be unopposed and you will immediately win the game. You know that all players are capable at tennis except Smooth Operator and monstrman.

c. You see, that's how it starts! - Using the power of Scottish daytime TV, you may also turn a player into a Scotsman at the halfway mark of each day.
[/spoiler]

I've had the idea for this role since I originally wrote part of this game years ago, but never been able to balance it. I still couldn't, so Kat's role had some last-minute modifications. Solo cult where dead people don't count and you can't win posthumously seemed too hard, so I made the old people and non-humans not count. Their alignments were coincidental.

I'm a little sad I never got to attempt writing Scots from Wikipedia articles. :(

[spoiler="Daos"]
You are The Spanish Inquisition, Mafia
a. Our chief weapons are fear… - The Inquisition strikes fear in the hearts of its enemies. Any actions targeting your target have a 50% chance of failing. Mafia actions are excluded.

b. …Surprise - The Inquisition has no regard for your time. Your target's actions fail tonight.

c. …And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope - The Inquisition will never stops until it succeeds. No matter how many takes that requires. Can use Fear or Surprise and continue posting in the Mafia forum even after death.

You win when the mafia outnumbers the town.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler="monstr"]
You are Harold The Clever Sheep, Mafia
a. Those are sheep, aren't they? - You've mastered the art of passing the blame to the nearest human - nobody suspects a sheep. You investigate as a random town player.

b. Once they get an idea into their heads, there's no shifting it - Everyone believes what you tell them, no matter how obviously wrong you are. Choose a character. Your role will be displayed as this for all purposes until one day after your death.

c. The commercial possibilities of ovine aviation - It's very difficult to kill a person when you're a sheep. Now that you're mastered the art of flight, why bother? You can simply drop your target off where no one will ever find them. If successful, your kills do not reveal the target's role.

You win when the mafia outnumber the town.
[/spoiler]

Both of these are pretty straightforward. The town had a ton of information roles, so Daos and monstr got abilities that would make those unreliable. monstr never used any abilities and Daos' one use of (a) had no effect on the game.

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm

it was more that yall were interchangeable (ernie, daos) and we picked the wrong one, thanks monstr...

I also was suspicious of SO for a lot of the game but didn't pursue it because 1) it was largely for his pushes on me, they felt slimy; 2) I thought he was part of my space cult and I didn't want him to get lynched

x)

I did not meet my wincon. If we had lynched Daos instead I'd have targeted you and probably SO would have been the nightkill, then I'd have won.

Not actually sure whether it would have been a shared win or if I'd have stolen the victory. I just wanted to imply that it was shared because duh
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 pm

I really enjoyed the game, IAN, I just think the xp walls were too strict[DOUBLEPOST=1502148426,1502148047][/DOUBLEPOST]I wanted that janitor but I don't think it would have mattered

it was hard to come up with a good a, b, c claim that made sense

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm a little sad I never got to attempt writing Scots from Wikipedia articles. :frown:
me too tbh. I really loved my role! Great job all around on flavor. Had me cackling :3

This was fun!
Why must you leave~?

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Definitely, I feel I was a normal amount of active and I didn't even get my B.

I probably woulda voted Daos with you, Kat. By the end I was thinking monstr/Daos or SO/monstr (since he was defending him so much), but I figured that cop claim was more believable by the end.

And then...

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 pm

also I wasn't too worried about never unlocking my day cult (but again, because I thought those two were part of my space cult...)

I'm just going to keep calling it a cult. Cults are fun. Cult cult cult.[DOUBLEPOST=1502148733,1502148694][/DOUBLEPOST]DAYUM[DOUBLEPOST=1502148783][/DOUBLEPOST]actually wait now I really do want to know

[USER=34539]@I am nobody[/USER] would I have shared victory, or stolen it?
Why must you leave~?

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Yeah, my first game here was actually pretty similar to yours, Kat. I was Deadpool and had to plant bombs on everyone, but the mafia won before I could unlock enough XP to set off the bombs.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 pm

*pops up from grave* hey guys I'm still p sure SO is mafia
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:34 pm

oh yeah

I think I was scum in that game
Why must you leave~?

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 pm

vgf has some of my best played games on it tbh

Daos

Post by Daos » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 pm

^
Reminds me of the time I was the Joker and could plant bombs in people's houses that would blow up and kill them if I was lynched. Each person's house I planted a bomb in though ended up getting killed / lynched so it didn't matter. I just blew up empt houses.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 pm

I just remember Crav was mafia bus driver or something crazy.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 pm

I think i've won most of my games here

wish we had a database to track stats

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 pm

#nevertrustcrav
Why must you leave~?

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Haha Daos, like Carbomber but strategic! Sounds a lot of fun too[DOUBLEPOST=1502149074,1502149017][/DOUBLEPOST]Yeah, you're really good, monstr. I was hoping you were town this game because I feel like you're a great teammate.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Also nice bamboozle monstr, I trusted you 100% the whole time I was alive. Started thinking u were probably scum reading today but that was way too late lmao. Monstr/Daos too op
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Daos what were your other slips :o I remember people thinking you had TMI on March (which you diffused very well, so props for that) but... ?
Why must you leave~?

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 pm

if anyone wants to play a closed turbo (like we used to play on #dynastynet with role madness) a signup is up that i'm in right now[DOUBLEPOST=1502149595,1502149552][/DOUBLEPOST]you should all come playyyu

Return to “Mafia Headquarters”