If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Monty Python's Flying... Mafia - It's... (Day 4) MAFIA WIN

Where Mafia, the party game, is played with VGF members.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

I am nobody

Monty Python's Flying... Mafia - It's... (Day 4) MAFIA WIN

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:53 pm

[MEDIA=youtube]zJpJbL6Pzjo[/MEDIA]
Monty Python's Flying... Mafia
Or, at least, it will be. This is check-in. Post here to confirm that you've either received you're role or that I've screwed up out of the gate.

Confirmed
Waiting
Players:
1. RU
2. Kat
3. Shad
4. monstr
5. Ernie
6. S1x
7. SmoothOperator
8. Daos
9. AJ
10. March

And now for some rules:

If you have received your role, you've probably noticed that you have multiple abilities. You will, rather. Right now you only have your 'a' ability, and you can't even use that one. The others will require XP to unlock, which is earned as follows:

1 XP: Have a vote on someone at the end of the day
1 XP: Participate in a lynch
1 XP: Participate in a lynch that benefits your team
1 XP: Post 5 times in a day (up to 7 XP per day)

Your 'b' ability unlocks at 10 XP and your 'c' ability unlocks at 20 XP. Your 'a' ability is usable after posting 10 times. Abilities are only usable at night against a single target.

Otherwise, standard rules apply. Don't quote any PMs from me, including your role. Don't post at night or while dead. The usual stuff. If anyone has doubts about what does or doesn't fall into the "usual stuff", PM me or ask in-thread. Obvious deliberate violations will result in a modkill.

If your role text contradicts anything I just said, your role is correct.

Days last 72 hours and nights 48 hours. As per usual, this may be adjusted depending on activity.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Role Get
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Erm, got it.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Shad

Post by Shad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Sup

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Post #1

March

Post by March » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Yooooooo
Every day I'm Shucklin'

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Clarification from PM questions: Both the 10 post gate and XP unlocks are one time. You don't need to re-unlock abilities, and you don't lose 10 XP from unlocking your 'b' ability.

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm here

Daos

Post by Daos » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Role confirmed.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 pm

hello everyone :) ))))

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am

All Players!!!

Since I have little idea what the site meta is here let me ask a few questions.

What is the usual town to mafia ratio?

What is the policy on negative utility claiming D1 here? (Millers, SleepWalkers, Ascetics, etc)

Random User told be offsite that D1 lynches generally don't happen here, Why is that?

---other questions for the sake of pure prank---

What is your preferred alignment?

How collaborative are you as a player on a scale form one to ten?

Are you a more intuitive/creative/tactical, or analytical/BytheBooks/Strategic as a player? (Course you can be a combination of the six, I usually see a repetition of those three or these three with low intermingling)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 am

^ to answer a couple questions:

D1 lynches generally don't happen here because more often than not it's practically random and based on nothing, which usually just results in a dead townie and someone who barely got to play the game before being offed. Sure, it can give information later on, but usually doesn't because there's hardly anything to go off of that early on.

There's no "policy" on such early claims per se but we are MUCH more interested in roleplay and trying to read people than on strategies based on meta, at least from my experience. It's like the difference between playing smash competitively versus casually - I would say this is a casual Mafia forum (which is also why there are usually no Day 1 lynches).

I wanna say ratio is usually 2:1 or 3:1 but don't quote me on that.

I used to prefer playing as townie because I was so bad at being mafia and am such a bad liar, but now I think playing as mafia - though riskier - is a lot more fun in some ways.

I like to think of myself as a team player but I'll also get stubborn if I don't like what the consensus is looking to be.

I would consider my play style to be intuitive.

What are some of your answers to your own questions?

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:25 am

Ratio is closer to 4:1 but err toward 3:1.

As AJ said, there's not really any sort of policy, but I personally am for the idea. Also echoing what he said about D1 lynching. However, it's important to note that lines do start to be drawn, there's generally at least one leading wagon, etc etc

I don't really have a preferred alignment--I would rather focus on ways to use my role/abilities optimally, regardless of alignment--but that being said, before mafia died down here I had a run where I was mafia several times in a row and I got tired of it and kind of wanted to keep playing until I was town. But then I didn't because I had way more opportunities to play IRL and that made up for it.

I'd rate myself a 7 in that I prefer to look outside of what others are doing first but then generally come to a consensus.

I'm more intuitive with occasional analysis.
Why must you leave~?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am

[QUOTE="smol Kat, post: 1637396, member: 37303"]I don't really have a preferred alignment--I would rather focus on ways to use my role/abilities optimally, regardless of alignment[/QUOTE]

*takes this out of context* SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING A MAFIOSO WOULD SAY

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:44 am

Normally I'd be way more pro-lynch, but in an even numbered role madness game of this size I can see some clear benefits from a D1 no lynch. That said, I still think we should take advantage of the day!

[USER=30977]@Apollo the Just[/USER]

I'll answer my own questions in good time. :P

When you don't like the current town mentality how do you fix it? You said you become stubborn, how does that manifest itself in the thread proper?

[USER=37303]@smol Kat[/USER]

If you like to maximize your role what do you do went your role doesn't help town? Would it not be most helpful in that situation to role claim early? (I would like to get more people on board with this now to avoid late game miller claims)

I guess What I should be asking is how common are roles that botch investigative results here?

In the role madness games I'm used to there is usually a token negative utility that messes with cops and the like.

S1x

Post by S1x » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am

Here! Kinda. Most posts will be from the phone[DOUBLEPOST=1500393196,1500392952][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm also glad someone brought up the even numbers thing.

When including a cop-type role I'm very likely to include something that makes it less accurate, but that's only my own games
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 pm

It's safe to say there's usually something thrown in to make results possibly unreliable. Being able to switch 2 people so unbeknownst to cops/murderers they hit the wrong target, a mafioso whose ability is to read as Town, etc. Expect results of nighttime actions to be largely accurate but not perfectly reliable.

And to answer your question, let's say the consensus is "lynch person X." I don't think person X is mafia. Me being stubborn usually manifests itself as "here's all the reasons I trust X and think Y is Mafia instead." Or "I don't trust how quickly this bandwagon started and I'm not gonna vote until all y'all provide good reasons for wanting to lynch this particular person." Usually if the day is drawing to a close and there's only one viable target and I'm not convinced one way or the other but it doesn't read as too suspicious I'll vote for them just so we can get information for the next day, but if I absolutely do not believe they are mafia I usually won't vote for them bc why give the mafia an extra kill.

I have my own reads and I try to cooperate with consensus or at least have a dialogue to convince me, unless I heavily distrust said consensus. One time the town almost lynched me as Town and I got so frustrated by their poor reasoning that my last post was basically "whatever bitches do what you want and look at who chased after me tomorrow" LOL

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 pm

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1637404, member: 30977"]*takes this out of context* SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING A MAFIOSO WOULD SAY[/QUOTE]
o u

[QUOTE="SmoothOperator, post: 1637409, member: 40382"]
If you like to maximize your role what do you do went your role doesn't help town? Would it not be most helpful in that situation to role claim early? (I would like to get more people on board with this now to avoid late game miller claims)

I guess What I should be asking is how common are roles that botch investigative results here?[/QUOTE]
In keeping with my being in favor of claiming such roles early, yes, I would claim such a role early. ;)

Those kinds of roles aren't necessarily a given, but they aren't that uncommon either.
Why must you leave~?

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm

I am 8/10 collaborative player

love ranking village dayvig because it's the best role

I am a monstrman style player

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Whoa, I've never met a monsterman styled player before lol

So this game is moving a little slow. I'd think with deadlines being three days there would be more content happening then there has been.

I'll see what I can do when I get back in a few hours.

Return to “Mafia Headquarters”