Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 pm

I beat Cadence of Hyrule tonight, and it’s awesome.

I may flesh those thoughts out more tomorrow. I might not. I might also replay CoH to get a faster time. But I also might not. So much uncertainty.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:50 am

Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda

When I heard that Nintendo was giving the keys to the Hyrule kingdom over to the team that made Crypt of the NecroDancer, I got ridiculously excited. While I'm not a big fan of Hyrule Warriors, I have to give it credit for opening the Zelda Spinoff floodgates so it could lead to some amazing collaborations like Cadence of Hyrule. It's all so perfect--a Zelda-based remix score by Danny Baranowsky? Yes please. Official guitar covers by FamilyJules? Of course. Beat-based combat in the Zelda universe? I'm all for it. Zelda as a playable character right out the gate? Gimme gimme. Bosses that have names like "Gleeokenspiel" and "Wizzroboe"? Just take my money already.

The caveat of this game is simply that if you didn't get into Crypt of the Necrodancer or had a hard time with its combat style, well, this is more of that. For my own part, I loved Crypt of the Necrodancer, so the patterns of the enemies in Cadence of Hyrule were familiar to me and I didn't have much trouble getting into it. If you do have trouble with the beat-based gameplay, though, you can switch to "fixed beat" mode, which almost turns the game into a strategy game, causing the enemies and elements on the screen to only move when you do. In other words, you can stand still at any moment and plan your next move while the world just freezes around you.

The way they handle the dungeons is interesting. In the original Crypt, the entire game is procedurally generated. In Cadence, they still kept some of that, which I wasn't expecting. The overworld is designed and static, which makes for fun exploration and intentional puzzle-solving, and felt truly Zelda. Once you get into a dungeon, though, it's a little different. There's a "hub" part of the dungeon that is designed, but each dungeon has 2 or 3 sections that you enter that are procedurally generated like the original Crypt. Basically, when you get into a dungeon, the slider on the "Necrodancer-Zelda" spectrum slides a bit more over to the "Necrodancer" side.

The rogue-like aspects were interesting, too. In Zelda-like fashion, you get items and weapons that carry over regardless of Game Overs. In Crypt-like fashion, your gear and equipment deteriorates and needs replacing, and does not carry across deaths. Rupees also completely go to 0 at each death, which I found very punishing until I got the hang of things.

My one complaint with the game is that the difficulty curve has a really sharp start. Having only 3-4 hearts in the early stages of the game is very difficult, especially for people who might not be familiar with CotN-style combat and strategizing. I love the gameplay style, and I still game-overed about 5 or 6 times in the early stages of the game. However, once I got more hearts and access to potions, I basically stopped dying altogether. It made for a weird difficulty curve as the game went from almost-too-hard to almost-too-easy. For instance, when I got to Bass Guitarmos Knights, I barely did the fight in the intended way--I just tanked a bunch of hits and kept going straight at them, because I knew I had enough hearts to do just that.

But overall, I loved it. It took me just under 4 hours. The final boss was excellent with a fantastic gimmick, which I won't spoil. I'm hoping to spend more time with the game, either by attempting a speedrun or 100%ing my existing file.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 am

52. Total War: Three Kingdoms (8/2) (PC)

Shogun 2 is one of my favorite strategy games ever, but Rome 2 and Thrones of Britannia didn't review well and Warhammer isn't my thing, so it's been the better part of a decade since I've played a new TW game. Fittingly, it's set in a period I honestly didn't know much about - despite reading a ton about China's recent history, I've never done much research quite that far back and I've also barely played Dynasty Warriors. Missing out on four games worth of mechanics changes and having minimal familiarity with the setting could've been a confusing mess, but the new gameplay is almost all intuitive and the character descriptors give you a pretty good idea of who you're dealing with.

The biggest change is the focus on characters. You've got a whole court to manage on top of keeping track of your generals, and each of those characters has skills and satisfaction that you've got to manage to stay effective. Certain units are only recruitable to retinues lead by specific character types, and each type provides different onuses or skills as an administrator or commander, so there's a lot to consider when placing them even before dealing with the ones who don't get along. Diplomacy is also much more about the leaders you're dealing with and their personal strategies.

The other big difference compared to the last game I played is with research and economics. Instead of filling up meters to progress down a rather linear tech and culture tree, there's now a much more interwoven (literal) reform tree that you use every five turns. Reforms are split into five broad classes that connect with their neighbors and unlock direct or indirect (through buildings or units) bonuses that change nearly every system in the game. The depth of customization on that screen alone is stunning.

Because I'm weirdly obsessed with underdog stories in grand strategy games, I did my usual thing and ignored all the famous playable factions in favor of Zheng Jiang, The Bandit Queen, who starts with no territory and already at war with two neighbors. My first to tries were, predictably, disasters caused by underestimating the aggressiveness of one of my enemies and not understanding how supplies worked. But it all clicked on my third playthrough and I was able to consolidate few commanderies and sign a peace agreement relatively quickly.

That's when the game got a lot more interesting. My particular faction starts out in mountains in the north-central part of the map, so you're surrounded by larger nations on all sides and have to play a careful diplomatic balancing game to make sure you're never in more wars than you can manage. That's made more difficult by Infamy, their unique resource, which is gained from winning battles and (especially) sacking commanderies. It provides major boosts to morale and tribute, but it also makes everyone like you less as it builds up. To add extra pressure to play aggressively, there's no food in the mountains and only a handful of unoccupied settlements nearby, each of which is extremely expensive to resettle.

They key to all of it is the Bandit Lair building chain, which greatly reduces a settlement's income in exchange for a massive universal boost to your army replenishment rate. With one of those and a a couple other bonuses picked up from elsewhere, you won't need to stop to recover from anything but the most devastating losses and can overrun vulnerable opponent's territory as quickly as your army can move. That was also where the game stopped being very hard, because the Normal AI doesn't understand how to deal with catapults and could only win battles when it had 2-3x more troops. Still, the AI leaders are much more dynamic than before and will declare surprise wars or break agreements when it suits them, so there's a lot to plan for at the map level even if they're not much of a threat in an even fight.

All told, it's a phenomenal strategy game that's easy to recommend to pretty much anyone with an interest in the genre.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:08 pm

Finished up Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I played through the first two and part of the third a few years ago and sorta vaguely remembered the outcomes of the cases but getting from Point A to Point B was still entertaining.

I'll add to this post when I complete the whole trilogy, but I really gotta say, at the end of Case 5 when the guilty party breaks down, that really belongs on a big screen. hahaha
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 am

53. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) (8/11)

Everyone is already playing this, and I've said a bunch in the thread for it, so I'll gloss over everything about the tactical gameplay here by saying: Removing the level cap made having a handful of super-units do everything by far the best option. The game is far too easy as a result, even when you're deliberately making trouble for yourself, but it's still enjoyable because the core FE experience is largely unchanged.

The school parts are bizarre. Everything is really shallow, with everyone only having one thing to say per month despite there being up to five opportunities to talk to them, quests almost always telling you exactly where to go and press A to win, and everything else openly being an interface to move skill and motivation sliders up and down. It's enjoyable for a while because stat raisers are fun, but there's really not enough here to justify something like two years of it. I was just mashing through by the end.

Speaking of bizarre, this game shares an unbelievable number of similarities with Trails of Cold Steel, including the school structure, a some broader plot themes, characters, and very specific events and plot twists. It's way beyond the normal overlap in JRPGs, and even how CS was openly a new take on Persona at first. One of the big things it tries to copy is the way that CS1 built up its world through monthly assignments to various parts of the empire to show off the different cultures and locales, and how things change in the home town from month to month. But it just whiffs both of those completely. You never see more than a battle map of any of the places you visit, and almost all of those can fit into a handful of effectively identical archetypes. Every month has an animated intro that insists the world is alive and tells you all these things are happening, but you never see any of it, and nothing ever changes in the school. The weather is always the same, any "events" are represented by reusing the standard dinner and choir activity graphics, and no one is even ever stressed about exams. FE has never been good at worldbuilding, so I can't imagine why they chose a structure that would so heavily emphasize how dire it is if they weren't going to put more effort in.

Since I already did a rant about how the story is awful in the other thread and it'd be impossible to say why without spoilers, I'll just talk about character writing here. It's a mixed bag. The dialogue is massively improved from Fates and even Awakening, but they're still leaning too heavily on one-note characters for you to be able to get invested in any of them. Overworld dialogue is stale because they never know what your relationship with any specific character is, so almost everyone just spouts generic lines that'd fit all of them and any support state. A couple of these characters have legitimately interesting setups and could've gone somewhere cool with more attention, but most of them don't end up just being a collection of sketches about whatever their one quirk is.

It's a decent enough tactics game on top of one of the bigger missed story opportunities I've seen in a while. It has a great foundation, and I think a more focused version of this game that did a few mechanics and story beats well could've been a really special, but as it is it often feels more like a collection of decent proofs of concept rather than a finished game.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 pm

IAN wrote:as it is it often feels more like a collection of decent proofs of concept rather than a finished game.
my reply here isn't about FE3H because I haven't and probably won't ever play that game, but this is one of those lines that is an absolutely, completely, wholly valid critique of a product, and yet perfectly describes a lot of my favorite games lmao.

Well, not Persona 3: FES or Tales of Symphonia, those products are flawless, but many others that I like such as Sonic Forces etc.

Like this is the most succinct way to describe Tales of Zestiria, and yet I like Tales of Zestiria better than many of the more applauded titles because I think those proofs of concept are more interesting than some of the more "finished" games. It kinda goes to show that sometimes a better product isn't necessarily more enjoyable to a person if the potential of another product is more appealing regardless.

EDIT: I guess another way to put this is even if the presentation of a game is a mess I sometimes find its content so interesting or appealing that I end up loving it even if it isn’t polished or could be vastly improved. Versus there are surely some comparable games that are much more polished and thoughtful experiences but either their message doesn’t jive with me as well or I don’t find them as fun or maybe I just don’t dig their aesthetic as much. I know I’m getting into “objective vs subjective” territory which usually turns into very pedantic and unconstructive arguments, but I’d say sometimes it’s better to have something cool to say and say it poorly than to have something kinda whatever to say and say it phenomenally. I’m rambling though and this isn’t really about the game you were talking about. Honestly based on your comments in the other thread I would probably agree with you on that one.

I have nothing else to add to this thread because the only video game I ever play is Tales of Symphonia btw

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Yeah, the key is that your proofs of concept have to be really interesting. 3H's are small improvements to the existing FE formula mixed in with a whole lot of things Persona and/or Trails already did as fully developed mechanics.

Inazuma Eleven from a few months back in this thread is a good example of something I liked mostly for being interesting. It doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but nobody else has tried most of it.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Totally fair. I haven't played 3H and probably won't, that thought just made me think about 'good' games vs 'games i like'. I definitely agree that it really only works if the game actually has something interesting to say though. :p

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm

54. When Our Journey Ends (8/11) (PC)

I had this one on my Steam wishlist forever, probably because it inexplicably reminded me of a book I had as a kid even though that book has nothing in common with it. It's about some girl who takes a train in Japan and ends up in another world. There are a lot of obvious fairy tale inspirations, but it inexplicably chooses to borrow some of its big moments from epics, and the game is 20 minutes long. I don't doubt that there's a way to make a self-discovery story work at that length, but it'd take something more clever than the usual "pass these really obvious holy trials" trope. Pretty forgettable overall, which is why I took over two weeks to get around to writing about it.

55. Supraland (8/24) (PC)

It describes itself as a mix of Portal, Zelda, and Metroid. For a game primarily made by one guy, it does a great job of combining those influences, but I don't think the puzzles are quite as "fair" as in Portal. Those games succeeded as puzzlers because they gave the player a handful of tools that operated in very simple, predictable ways and asked players to get through rooms that required thoughtful application of that limited pool of verbs. Supraland mostly gets that right, but in trying to be Metroid I think by the end it gives you too many tools with too many abilities and some of the puzzles are just messy. The game was clearly aware of part of this problem, because one puzzle about halfway through opens with a guy asking if you're ready to see if you're "part of the 90%". If you take too long on the puzzle, he then reveals that 90% of players have forgotten one use of the first item by that point in the game. That's not good game design to me.

The bigger problem, though, is that the new abilities are barely tutorialized and their interactions aren't always obvious. There's no logic to what you can or can't pick up in this game, and you're unable to pick up anything you can spawn until literally the last item in the game. The forums are filled with people saying they wasted forever trying to move those items with other tools (which works, barely) because they had no reason to believe they'd be able to just pick it up.

Still, it's a mostly fun enough puzzle game, and you can do a lot worse than not being the next Portal. Worth checking out if you're after a decently sized puzzle sandbox.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:46 pm

I finished Fire Emblem a week or two ago, and I really loved it. Don’t have the energy to write full review right now, but I thought the character work was some of the best it’s ever been in the series, and the addition of a hub area was a wonderful idea. The game was too easy, even for a strategy game imbecile like myself; but honestly, the combat was second-fiddle to how much fun I had with Teenage War Monastery Teacher Simulator 2019

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 pm

ok i wasn't expecting it to take me this long to finish Justice for All but there you go. Still a good game with some very fun cases. Case 3 in particular gives me feelings. Pearl is best character; Adrian Andrew smells

e: finished T&T and CASE 5 THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
pearly is still sweet lil bean :3
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Rocking a baby so I’ll keep it brief: the Celeste DLC is delightful and even tougher than the base game. They made wavedashing into a core mechanic instead of just s niche speedrun tech, and they had a lot of fun with it. They even taught the tech in a really cute faux-PowerPoint.

But yet again, even after its 10/10 gameplay, the star of the show was the story. Madeline is extremely real, even if everything around her is decidedly not. This crew really figured out how to deliver a wonderful narrative of a wonderful game.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:11 am

I don't usually get around to beating games, but I did finish Bonkers for SNES a few months ago (with save states, admittedly). It's really good, I usually have no interest in Disney games anymore, or anything overtly cartoony, but I was just trying it out because it was made by Capcom and kept playing. The short play time was nice, probably less than two hours.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:29 pm

56. Mothergunship (9/18) (PC)

A roguelite FPS focused on building your own guns from random parts. I think it's from the Tower of Guns dev, which would make sense because it suffers from the same problems of boring level/enemy design and being ridiculously easy to cheese. Enemies are almost all turrets, little dog things, or flying buzzsaws, and healing/shield towers are the only things that ever make you change your approach. Levels only have a few structural gimmicks to shake things up that get repetitive even though the game is two hours long, and everything just looks like a generic spaceship.

As for being easy to cheese, there are only a handful of randomly-obtained parts worth having, and you can easily get them all in the first couple levels. After that, the only good rewards are for finishing levels, and since you only need to fight enemies in the final room of each level, that means you just immediately open the door in each room and ignore everything in it. The bosses attack really slowly and don't have enough health to really threaten you as long as you have decent guns. Even if you lose, you keep all your items and restart from the same point in the campaign, so there's really no punishment for playing this way. There's no reason to do any of the side missions, so once you've blazed through the 10 campaign levels, that's it.

There are way better options out there even for a podcast game, honestly.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:14 am

I finished VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action. I'm very torn between liking it and thinking it is trash, I don't think I've ever been as divided on a game as this. The one objectively good thing is the music, it's just perfect. As for the rest...it's a roller coaster. The art somehow looks good and bad at the same time, it's got that terrible "anime but not" appearance but it's still mostly good...except for when it's not. The gameplay is literal garbage but the idea behind it is really good, very much a better "on paper" concept though--it wasn't very well realized. Being able to organically influence the dialogue instead of just picking through dialogue boxes like how many RPGs do things is just neat, though too vague and limited as-is.

Then there's the story... Is there a story? There's talking, most of it is random crap, which is probably what they were going for some of the time, but it's often very boring random crap. The in-universe expositions are just bad and uninteresting, and the cheap pseudo-philosophical bits are hit and miss. Character relationships are more shallow than would be preferred, there's a few good moments like when Jill and Dana hang out, but they're rare. The game isn't nearly as funny as it thinks it is, either. There are a couple cool mysteries, most notably the existence of Anna, but also some character background information for a few of them.

Some things that are turn-offs: there is way too much casual vulgarity which adds nothing to the game. I don't say that as a prude, it just comes off as there for lazy shock value or to be edgy, or maybe the writer was just a pervert (there's some really questionable lines). In fact, a lot of the game seems like it was written by a teenager. Also, half the cast is LGBT because of course they are. The one saving grace until the end was that while they normalized it, they didn't preach against "muh homophobia", but then they did. Then there's the racism stuff in the prologue they sloppily forced in there...the whole prologue was just not good in general actually.

There's another, similar game (maybe a sequel?) coming from the same developers, I'll probably keep an eye on it, but I expect full-on "orange man bad" to fill half the dialogue now. Anyway, I enjoyed the game enough to finish it, so there's that, but it dragged on too long for what it had to offer, it felt repetitive and droning by the end. I guess I'd give it a 5.5/10, slightly above average, and a lot of that score is coming from the music and atmosphere, otherwise it'd be, like, half of that.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:49 am

I remember liking the story a lot, but the gameplay is definitely crap. I tried to play along for the first few customers and then gave up and just used a guide for the rest of it.

The composer (Garoad) also did the music for Yuppie Psycho, which came out earlier this year. Might be worth checking that out.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:12 am

Maniac Mansion (NES)

so this is kinda cheating since I speedrun this game a lot so it is generally the last game I finished at any given time but I still wanna talk about it ok

Maniac Mansion, compared to any later SCUMM or SCUMM-type games (even its own sequels), is a much more open-ended game with multiple endings and multiple characters to choose from, each with their own skills and their own ways to progress in the game. There's also a lot of potential for screwing up and softlocking your progress (unless you know the pro strats like me :cool:) If you're used to more linear adventure games, it can be very overwhelming to get into, but imo these are the things that make the game so much fun.

Once you kind of understand how things in the game work, it's VERY fun to dick around with. Things like "what would happen if I tried this" or "what if this and this both happened at the same time" give the game so much replay value and you never know what the result could be. Either you'll see something the developers programmed into the game that makes you marvel at the detail to attention, or you find some weird edge case in the programming that makes you understand how the game ticks.

The NES version specifically is interesting because, on top of having to control a point-and-click with an NES controller, has its very own unique soundtrack! this was actually added later in development and the game had to be delayed as a result, but what ended up happening is that the game's sole sound person at the time, David Warhol, had to enlist three other composers (including George Alistair Sanger, who you might know from games like Wing Commander or Zombies Ate My Neighbors) to help with the soundtrack. The talents of these composers combined with Warhol's unique arrangement style leads to an incredibly interesting and cool-sounding soundtrack exploring a lot of different genres (albeit a bit intense for a game of this nature). Every playable character has their own track with a different genre, which really lets you get a feel for the characters, and the Edison theme fits the personality of the entire family so perfectly: it's menacing yet quirky, and the trilling chords at the beginning make their presence very known. It's absolutely one of the best American-made NES soundtracks and I'm sad it doesn't get more love. :(

This game is best described as a horror-comedy parody of B-movie horror films. The game presents some of its scarier elements up front (the "blood" in the kitchen, for instance), but as time goes on, the more comedic and silly aspects start to shine through.

Of course, the game is not perfect. Like I said, you have to control a cursor with a d-pad, and while it is implemented pretty well, its still not the ideal interface for a game originally designed for a mouse and keyboard. The select button thankfully lets you cycle between the most common commands automatically, which is highly recommended as it makes the pace go much faster.

In addition, the game does have a lot of ways to screw up your progress and you may not even realize it until its too late. In addition, the NES version only has one save slot, so you better hope you saved before your fatal misstep, otherwise you might have to start from scratch. I highly recommend newcomers start with a walkthrough their first time out; once you understand exactly what you need to complete the game, it becomes easier to avoid those kinds of mistakes.

Also worth mentioning: the NES version was very notorious for its heavy censorship compared to the original versions, with a lot of the changes made being baffling and unnecessary, though ultimately inconsequential to the overall experience. If you really want the uncensored NES version, there's a prototype ROM floating around.

Anyway uhhhhhh Maniac Mansion for NES gets a 9.6 out of 10. Spooky month is coming up, consider playing it if you haven't.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:28 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:49 am
I remember liking the story a lot, but the gameplay is definitely crap. I tried to play along for the first few customers and then gave up and just used a guide for the rest of it.

The composer (Garoad) also did the music for Yuppie Psycho, which came out earlier this year. Might be worth checking that out.
If there was more to see outside the bar, cutscenes or something, I'd have enjoyed the story more. It is hard to pull off the level of world building they shot for almost exclusively from one location--one static screen of one area of one location, to be precise. The bank part was tough to follow because of how the game is designed. For example, I couldn't feel at all involved in the drama they set up with that part because of that, so I feel like widening the scope a tad would have done wonders.

Yeah, I followed a guide too, shortly after the creepy museum guy showed up lol

I'll definitely look that game up, thanks.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 am

The Link's Awakening remake for Switch is delightful. It brings an enjoyable brand new art style to the table, and brings back the chamber-orchestra style music of Ryo Nagamatsu from Link Between Worlds.

The remake is slavishly faithful to the original. For me, that is a plus. Basically word-for-word and tile-for-tile, everything about Link's Awakening for GameBoy transfers over to the Switch game, but with an updated look. There are some new things, like a seashell sensor, that are really nice. Other new things, like the chamber dungeon feature, are not worth bothering with.

I loved it, and I'm extremely happy that more people are going to get the chance to play this treasure of a game--especially because I've seen a shocking number of people who haven't ever played it. My only big complaint is that Nintendo got away with charging an extra $20 for this game. While I'm not a developer, I really do think that, in view of this game's length and it's re-used design, this could have been a $40 game. If this had come out 4 years ago, it would have been a 3DS game and $40. But I hope it makes Nintendo a lot of money so they can do more of these updates--Zelda 2, anyone?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:10 pm

To add to the matter of price, Zelda runs somewhat poorly according to Digital Foundry. I definitely don't think Nintendo should be charging $60 for it.
Last edited by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”