If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

G3ntl3m3n's Chall3ng3 3pisod3 Thr33! (See, it gots 3's where the E's should ought to be.)

Moderator: X-3

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Hah. No worries, I have a friend who had a spare one he ended up giving me.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:02 pm

That's cool.

You been in a Gamestop recently? Because it is a frankly embarrassingly long wait time sometimes. We were waitin for like fifteen minutes while they were doing some dang dingdong nonsense with one customer. Like, it's video games, not dialysis, for Cliff's sake. Get a move on, some us got lives to live, here. (And then same damn thing happened at Best Buy. Two registers open, both of em occupied by morons signing up for somethin they'll never ever use. I drank the entirety of the one VitWater I got and went back for a second, I was waitin that long. Cheese and bread, dude.)
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:14 pm

To be fair, Gamestop basically forces their employees to do that nonsense.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Fair or not, it's happened to me more than once, and I don't like it for beans. I mean, I'm not a child, here---------------I'm fine with waiting my turn. But, like, I don't get this kind thing at Barnes & Noble, or Half-Price Books, or Exclusive Company. Waiting in line for fifteen minutes behind one person feels worse than waiting for twenty behind twenty, you know? It shouldn't, but it does.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 am

oh hey I'm supposed to be playing a game
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 pm

^Wuff. So'm I.

...and it's specifically the 'appeals to Boo the 'lowest common denominator' guy' game, to boot. C'mon, now, Boo (*self-administered wake-the-hell-up-already slaps to the face*), it's a game all about boobie ladies hackin zombies up with katanas. This is our jam. It can't not be.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 pm

I've managed to figure out what my problem with this Nuts and Bolts is, I think.

Not disappointment necessarily. Nor is it the fact that the game has some iffy design decisions (and there is a lot, don't get me wrong). I think it's the fact that Rare itself seemed to have no faith in this game and it spews out in every other quip. Grunty making fun of the change in design, Mumbo says that the game will sink at market, Bottles saying there's a lot of elements that got cut as a punchline to one of the missions, the constant references to Killer Instinct 3 and whatever part of their glory days they can attach to. Seeing where they went after this game, it sounds more like disgruntled employees knowing this game is going to flop then they probably intended it to sound. I get this feeling of unease, or maybe its the fact that I'm never immersed in what the game is offering and it bothers me more than I realize. Eh. I have a bit more of the game to go through. We'll see what comes of it all.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 pm

^That's fair.

One could also interpret it as Rare's employees taking the piss out their own game just because that's what Rare does. They love self-deprecating humour. They've incorporated it into their games as far back as I can remember.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Yeah, but usually it was more vague and centered on the sorts of cliches you expect in games. In Nuts and Bolts it's centered on its own shortcomings and it unnerves me a little how often it happens. Maybe it's because Nuts and Bolts dropped all pretense and flat out said "THIS IS A VIDEO GAME WORLD" and threw out the fourth wall in its entirety.

Ech, I have a headache so it's hard to spell out my thoughts. It's weirder in Nuts and Bolts than in any other Rare title. More details later.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:40 pm

just died in FFV. Unfortunately, I knew it was coming because I looked up playable character details, but it was a good scene. And I think that means I'm almost 2/3 through the game.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 pm

^^Once again, an entirely fair assessment.

Rare broke the fourth wall often enough in BK and BT, but if you think they went too far in N&B, that's totally fine, man.

I hope you're still able to enjoy the game for what it is. Like, having fun making ridiculous vehicles, trying them out. Seeing how well you can game the systems in place. I love that kind thing, man. Few games will just let you go bananas the way N&B does. Myself, I must've had a couple hundred blueprints to hand by endgame. I kept them all. Even the mediocrities and failures. The diamond-shaped car would always, always, always flip when cornering at high speed (boo the 'jeremy clarkson rolls his eyes' guy), yet still I kept it. Even the failures you can learn from, and are thus worth holding on to.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm starting my game today I promise.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:13 pm

I have started my game. It hasn't grabbed me yet. Might have to power through and hope I get into it.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 pm

[QUOTE="Deku Tree, post: 1636692, member: 18320"]I have started my game. It hasn't grabbed me yet. Might have to power through and hope I get into it.[/QUOTE]
How far are you? I love the heck out of Golden Sun, but I'll admit that it doesn't start the fastest.
Carthago delendum est

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Really only made it a bit past the prologue so far.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:13 am

Ok. The game opens up a bit when you get the 3rd party member, and then even more with the 4th. And when you get more Djinni, battles become a lot more interesting.
Carthago delendum est

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:13 am

Ok. The game opens up a bit when you get the 3rd party member, and then even more with the 4th. And when you get more Djinni, battles become a lot more interesting.
Carthago delendum est

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Only got up to the Eastern Palace before I had to go to work yesterday, but so far so good. I tried beating the Endless Cucco Dodge a couple times and didn't even really get close. I know that will be the bane of my existence when I get to the point where I have to deal with it.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Oh no. I put off playing my game a little, and now the kids are here. I don't play games more when the kids are here!

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Just got out of the Vale. That cutscene went on for like half an hour. What the hell?

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”