If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

G3ntl3m3n's Chall3ng3 3pisod3 Thr33! (See, it gots 3's where the E's should ought to be.)

Moderator: X-3

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:15 pm

I'm getting pretty ambitious for this round. At work, I'm playing Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga as well. Maybe I will finally actually finish this game. Then I suddenly had an urge to play Turok Dinosaur Hunter at home and said "You know what? I want to finish this too."
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Entering the 3rd Act. Still have a ways to go on my job planning--Krile and Lenna are both aaaalmost done, Bartz has some work left, and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing with Faris.

Turns out that my plan for Bartz is actually, like, the most stereotypical setup for Bartz in the FFV fandom. (Dual Wield - Spell Blade - Rapid Fire). But I came up with it on my own, so, nyeeehhh.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm

^That's cool, homey.

Like so what if it's the most stereotypical setup. All that means is that you figured out how to play the game pretty well. Like, that wouldn't be Bartz's (heh) stereotypical setup if it weren't a good setup.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

You think Bartz is bad? The 90's Fan Translation was a bit more accurate to the Japanese pronunciation. And, well,

Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:46 pm

I think Bartz is funny, because back in high school I worked for a party/costume chain shop called Bartz's. It was a mom-and-pop version of those stupid Hallowe'en megastores that blow up around Hallowe'en. They sold masks, and novelties, and trickeries.

...I got a lot of my bad biz from Bartz's. I had an older co-worker who taught me how to fan a deck, and do card tricks, and run a three-card monte. Some of it's merely showoffy, and some of it's actually cheaty, but ain't none of it good.

(EDIT:...you know, just knowing how to do bad stuff isn't inherently bad. Knowing how to do a three-card monte doesn't make you a con artist, any more than knowing what would go into a murder makes you a murderer. I've been lookin at stuff wrong, man.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1637247, member: 23215"]

Turns out that my plan for Bartz is actually, like, the most stereotypical setup for Bartz in the FFV fandom. (Dual Wield - Spell Blade - Rapid Fire). But I came up with it on my own, so, nyeeehhh.[/QUOTE]

huh. interesting. I had him Dual Wield but also use Time magic. I never really used the Mystic Knight job for anybody. I had Krile use Rapid Fire. Faris was the Black Mage/Thief/Red Mage.I had Lenna master White Mage and Summoner.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 pm

never not Butz

the end
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm

They talk so much in this game. Like, the ratio of talking to playing a game is way off of what it should be so far.

Are these yes/no questions of any consequence?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 pm

The Yes/No questions rarely have effect, afaik. Just to add flavor to the dialogue, or to make characters react certain ways.

There is definitely a lot of talking in the game.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am

^^Oh yeah, I totally forgot already that I assigned you Golden Sun.

They do talk a lot now that I think about it. It didn't annoy me though.

You know a game where people talk a bunch? Project X Zone 2.

What the **** is that, you ask?

I have no idea. But I bought it because it was on sale for like $15 and it was some massive cross-over game of many characters. The cutscenes are so heavy with dialogue.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm

The game has lightened up on cutscenes a few hours in. Kinda getting fun, but I'm not always sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 am

FFV really opens up in the 3rd act. You get to that world and suddenly it's just "Hey, yeah, go wherever."
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Uh, ****. When is the deadline again? It's soon, right?

I got super sidetracked by Turok Dinosaur Hunter and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Crap, I spent like 4 hours of game time grinding. When are we supposed to finish?
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:10 pm

28th of July. Slow your roll, guys-----------this is meant to be fun. We're meanna be havin fun, here, ain'a. Like, get me----------think I'm worried about playing the stupid 'Boo's game' game while the kids are in town? Nosir.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Got through the first lighthouse. Think I may have done something out of the intended order.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am

^Hey Deku, you might be interested to know that the Golden Sun speedrunning community has basically all decided to run the game with save files that start immediately after the intro, which is 39 minutes of gameplay even in a speedrun. lel. Either way, I hope you're enjoying the game now. It's a childhood favorite of mine.

I'm in the final castle of FFV.I also did a thing along the way. ([USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] will appreciate this)
Carthago delendum est

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 am

It is much better now. I'm sort of amazed they make you get through all that before you really get to take the wheel and play. Like, it was the first game in the series, it didn't have built-in goodwill to ask for that kind of patience. Maybe it was a GBA era problem, because I owned Sword of Mana once and quit that game forever after the opening cutscene.

Golden Sun progress is I just beat some water monsters in a mine.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1638532, member: 23215"]

I'm in the final castle of FFV.I also did a thing along the way. ([USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] will appreciate this)[/QUOTE]

Oh snap, son.

That was like the one thing I didn't do. I remember facing it and being like "LMAO na bro, screw this. I'll do this later."
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 pm

I did the thing!

Great game. A little sad it took me so long to get to it.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”