If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

More useless video game trivia.

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:26 pm

The squeal Dorrie makes when you ground pound her back in Super Mario 64 is Bowser's defeat growl sped up.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 pm

[QUOTE="Antisocial, post: 1629072, member: 23923"]In Super Mario World, you can control the power of your strokes by holding up or down while swimming. It's pretty much the only Mario game that has this feature.

I'm mentioning it because while I've known this since I've had the game, I've always had a feeling not a lot of others who've played it did.[/QUOTE]
This technique is actually pivotal to SMW speedrunning!
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun May 14, 2017 4:19 am

Link weighs less than nine apples.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 am

The chest behind the counter in Truce Inn in Chrono Trigger contains 57,342G. It can never be reached during normal gameplay.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 pm

[MEDIA=youtube]E6tdC1AoE40[/MEDIA]

Instead of Mario saying "Welcome to Mario Kart!", the title screen of the Japanese version of Mario Kart 64 has a group of children shouting "Mario Kart, oh!"

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue May 23, 2017 11:48 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1630395, member: 30663"]Image

Link weighs less than nine apples.[/QUOTE]
[MEDIA=youtube]JkV6sGd2mVk[/MEDIA]
Coincidence?

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 am

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1631211, member: 30663"][MEDIA=youtube]E6tdC1AoE40[/MEDIA]

Instead of Mario saying "Welcome to Mario Kart!", the title screen of the Japanese version of Mario Kart 64 has a group of children shouting "Mario Kart, oh!"[/QUOTE]
*Mario Kāto

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed May 24, 2017 2:32 am

I took a year and a half of Japanese class and dated a native speaker for even longer. I'm disappointed in myself for not realizing that.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 am

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1630651, member: 30663"]Image

The chest behind the counter in Truce Inn in Chrono Trigger contains 57,342G. It can never be reached during normal gameplay.[/QUOTE]

That's an oddly specific number.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 am

^^I feel like my life would be incomplete without Charles Martinet screaming the name of the game at the top of his lungs every title screen.
Carthago delendum est

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:37 am

The Ganondorf Battle theme from Ocarina of Time is written in 23/16 time.

[MEDIA=youtube]gKjEwQeGAEU[/MEDIA]

It's a crazy time signature, but maybe not quite as crazy as you'd think. Basically it's 12/8 minus a half beat--but you can't have 11.5/8 time, so it becomes 23/16. Regular 12/8 would be counted in 4, counting 3 + 3 + 3 + 3; but instead Koji Kondo wanted the song to be more uneven, so it has dropped beats alternating every 5th and 4th measures. You can hear the pattern if you listen to the timpani part: 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1

So, 23 beats per measure, with the 16th note as the basic beat.

muuusiiiic
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:18 pm

There are two dogs in Tales of Symphonia named "Pepe."

At the Balacruf Mausoleum, there's an NPC tourist there with his dog, and he tells you that his dog's name is Pepe and asks you to be nice to him.

In Palmacosta, there are multiple dogs (like there are all over the world) that you can name by talking to them as Colette, and one of them receives he name Pepe as well.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 am

In the Japanese version of Super Mario RPG, using Psychopath on the Axem Rangers during their second stage in battle shows them wondering why they didn't just combine at the start of the battle.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 am

Doki Doki Panic is actually a licensed game that uses the main mascot characters from Fuji TV's Dream Factory '87 event.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:41 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1630395, member: 30663"]Image

Link weighs less than nine apples.[/QUOTE]
certainly explains how the paraglider works so well
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1635908, member: 27765"]Doki Doki Panic is actually a licensed game that uses the main mascot characters from Fuji TV's Dream Factory '87 event.[/QUOTE]

It also started out as a Mario game before being rebranded.

So in a way, making it go full circle.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:43 am

Nobuo Uematsu, composer for most of the Final Fantasy series, claims to have had supernatural experiences as a child. In one such experience, he slept in bed until something grabbed him by the legs and dragged him around the room.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:11 am

In Mario Kart 64, passing through a certain part of the train tunnel with a Star active will immediately advance you one lap.

Thanks SGDQ.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 pm

In Fire Emblem Gaiden and its remake Echoes, the final boss, Duma, is required to be defeated with Falchion. To encourage this, Duma becomes immune to all weapons aside from the Falchion when his health is below a certain level.

...with one exception.

[MEDIA=youtube]oNr7G-cgdWc[/MEDIA]

Nosferatu can, due to a programming oversight, still hit Duma. What happens is a programming oversight - Nosferatu is hard-coded to have a 50% (60% in the remake) hit rate. The game reduces the accuracy of all non-falchion attacks to zero, but Nosferatu bypasses this likely due to an oversight. As you can see, the game expects Alm to be the one to finish off Duma, since it glitches Slique out.

Intelligent Systems actually is aware of this... and they left it in the remake. Instead, Duma seals off all attacks unless it is made with the Falchion... but Nosferatu can bypass this.

You can also kill Duma with an Alm Amiibo, if it has the Falchion equipped. You can also do this with Marth, who uses the Falchion, and Roy, who will use the Binding blade - which was made to fight dragons. Robin and Corrin cannot kill Duma, as they do not wield a dragon-slaying weapon, and neither does Ike. Lucina is the odd one out - as she still wields Falchion.

This actually is not the first time a glitch has been kept into a remake, or even acknowledged in other games. When creating the remake of Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, for example, Nintendo intentionally kept in all the glitches from the N64 version.

In fact... Square-Enix does this as well.

This is The Creator, arguably the first time in video game history wherein God was the final boss. In 1989, this game got a surprising amount of crap past the radar - this is one of them. Depending on how you interpret the Japanese Script... this actually predated NieR and its optional fight where you literally beat up the CEO of Square-Enix. (Hell, apparently the Ivalice Alliance did this too.)

But if you know this game... you know what a lot of people did.

...cut him in half with a chainsaw.

The Chainsaw weapon was glitched, so instead of working on enemies significantly weaker than you, it worked on enemies STRONGER than you. This is why you could cut God in half with a chainsaw.

Why is this important?

This is Orphan. The final boss of Final Fantasy XIII. You cannot even HURT him unless you stagger him. But if you stagger him... you can do one thing. You know Vanille's ability, "Death"? If you place Vanille into the lead, stagger Orphan, and cast "Death", it will work on Orphan. Seems weird... but SaGa and final Fantasy, especially the mess that was the XIII saga, were by different people. Well, guess what! As an homage to the famous glitch with The Creator, Death was programmed to work on Orphan. This has been confirmed by the developer.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 pm

In the NES version of The Adventure of Link, enemies that purport to give you 300 experience points actually give you 301. This is because the point values for various enemies were altered between the NES and FDS versions of the game, and a developer apparently made a typo when putting in the 300 value.

Thank you, SGDQ.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”