If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

More useless video game trivia.

Moderator: X-3

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1620435, member: 31048"]So I had no idea that Steven Spielberg created the Medal of Honor series and wrote the first game.[/QUOTE]

Which is weird, seeing as he doesn't think games can tell stories on the same level as other forms of entertainment...for some reason.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:22 pm

A lot of movie people think that. Roger Ebert, pretty much THE movie critic, was a staunch believer in video games not being true art. I think Christian Bale also gave a condescending response to video games.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Yeah, but seeing as he wrote Medal of Honor it's just more odd. Lucas was involved in games and thinks the same way as those guys, but I don't think any of them were as deeply involved in one as Spielberg. Why even bother? Paycheck?

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:21 am

Well Spielberg has had a history of directing/producing war films/patriotic films so maybe he just thought about introducing that to teens in a video game?
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:21 am

There are now 977 Coins in Donkey Kong 64 (or technically, there always has been).

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

^Man, that is so crazy to me. I saw that story developing on Twitter and /r/speedrun. To quote a member there:
We aren't 100% sure [why it's hidden there]]. Before this, we knew of 7 in DK Isles and then 1 in each of the other main levels (7 more) except for Aztec which has a 2nd. So other than DK Isles and Aztec, no level had 2 coins so this comes as a bit of a surprise. There are some ideas floating around that this extra RC brings our total banana coins count to 999 but that's merely conjecture and hoping for a simple answer. We surmise that the coin was originally intended to be there and the tall grass textures were added later in development and it was forgotten about. We've confirmed that none of the strategy guides we have access to make mention of it.
Carthago delendum est

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:48 pm

I didn't know it was even possible to have a secret like that hidden for so long in plain sight, I kinda figured the modern day's tools and data-mining could expose anything that could possibly exist
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:58 pm

^
DarkZero, post: 1620605, member: 34654 wrote:I didn't know it was even possible to have a secret like that hidden for so long in plain sight, I kinda figured the modern day's tools and data-mining could expose anything that could possibly exist
One Reddit comment to explain
For the record, the person who found it was Isotarge, who only found it because he was doing some flag collecting in an emulator in Fungi Forest, and when he warped to the dirt patch object, it took him to the hidden rainbow coin instead of the one by the beanstalk.

I went back and watched an All Collectables run that Connor75 did (not an official category) and you can clearly see him walk over the hidden dirtpatch here, which is pretty hilarious
Another Reddit comment to elaborate
Members of the community (Pretty much entirely Isotarge, but others have assisted with his efforts) have made tools which can analyse the areas of the game. That being said, the game is incredibly large, and there are several several objects in each map.

Also take into account that what we see is this. The list on the right shows the objects (Model 2) in the map. There are nearly 500 of them, and it's quite a long process to go through all of them (and baring in mind there are also over 200 maps in the game. Some of them with around 50 objects, some of them with over 400)

The script which shows this data also has several other parts to it that are being worked on. Flags, Enemy Data, assigning a map code to every flag etc.

So it's easy to overlook the rainbow coin
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Missile Command was originally going to be titled "Armageddon", but the management thought nobody would know what the name meant or would be able to spell it, and had them change it.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:19 am

There's a 1-Up Mushroom hidden in a breakable wall on the tower atop Whomp's Fortress in Super Mario 64.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 am

Not sure how they expected anyone to find that.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:39 pm

That's not even the most obscure 1-up in the game: there's one in the basement area of the castle that involves touching two random corners in the drained pool
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:25 am

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/sta ... 5568557056

There's an official image of Mario yelling "sh*t!". It's in the booklet for the Super Mario Bros anime movie soundtrack.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 am

On top of the cheats given by Cheato and Bottles to be entered in Treasure Trove Cove's sandcastle in Banjo-Kazooie, there are numerous codes (possibly for debug purposes) that are never mentioned nor hinted at in game, but can be used at any time. They can offer infinite items, infinite air while swimming, teach you moves, open levels and note doors, remove obstacles in Grunty's Lair, and do other things. However, entering two in a row will prompt a warning from Grunty that further cheating will lead to your save data being erased; entering a third cheat will result in her following through on her threat. The next time you restart, you'll find the save file you were playing on has been wiped clean.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:05 pm

The theme for Funky's Flights in Donkey Kong Country was originally composed by Robin Beanland for the arcade version of Killer Instinct.

[MEDIA=youtube]FtTC1sRlB1c[/MEDIA]
(about 50 seconds in)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:33 am

The Commodore 64 takes its name from its 64 kilobytes of RAM.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Before Charles Martinet was brought in to voice Mario in Super Mario 64, the developers used stock Looney Toons sound effects as placeholders.

[MEDIA=youtube]zxsn5iqfkRg[/MEDIA]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 am

Also from the video above, Bowser's growl was initially just a stock recording of a jaguar snarling. The final version of the game uses a slowed-down version of the same clip.

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 am

Not sure how I'd feel about Mario screaming "YAHAAA!" at me on the title screen.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:38 pm

While playing Super Mario Bros. 2, if you pause the game, hold up+B+A on the second controller, and unpause, the character you're playing as will immediately die.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”