If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

More useless video game trivia.

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

People who know about MM speedruns probably know this one, but I thought it was cool when I first learned about it. The owl statue in South Clock Town that is visible from West Clock Town is actually a completely different, functional owl statue (since West and South Clock Town are different maps so it couldn't be the same object)... it's just not accessible without glitches.

I wonder if this also means that even when you activate the South Clock Town owl, it won't look activated from West Clock Town because you're looking at an entirely different owl? I haven't checked to see if that's something the devs accounted for or not. I never noticed in my playthroughs.

This trivia is useless for casual playthroughs, but technically has uses in speedruns because getting to it and saving at it does weird stuff. I thought it was cool though so I'm sharing.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1636924, member: 30977"]People who know about MM speedruns probably know this one, but I thought it was cool when I first learned about it. The owl statue in South Clock Town that is visible from West Clock Town is actually a completely different, functional owl statue (since West and South Clock Town are different maps so it couldn't be the same object)... it's just not accessible without glitches.

I wonder if this also means that even when you activate the South Clock Town owl, it won't look activated from West Clock Town because you're looking at an entirely different owl? I haven't checked to see if that's something the devs accounted for or not. I never noticed in my playthroughs.

This trivia is useless for casual playthroughs, but technically has uses in speedruns because getting to it and saving at it does weird stuff. I thought it was cool though so I'm sharing.[/QUOTE]
I'm almost positive that your hypothesis is correct--when you look from West Clock into South Clock, the owl statue looks unactivated. I seem to remember that.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 pm

In Paper Mario, there's a segment of Bowser's Castle with two paths - top and bottom - that you need to choose the correct path on to proceed. There are lamps on the wall before the hallway that tell you the order: up, down, down, up, down, up.

In Super Paper Mario, there's a segment where you have to ground-pound a series of yellow poles in a particular way. The order here is also up, down, down, up, down, up.

I know there's a segment in TTYD where you have to go down a hallway (like in 64) and take the path that's lit by torches. I would not be surprised if it were the same order, or if this order makes appearances in other Mario games and is in fact much more prominent and well known than I thought, but anyway.

(I only noticed this because I've played 64 so many times I have the order memorized and therefore recognized the pattern here as well.)

e: just looked it up and the sequence in TTYD is not the same. Anyway, I think it's interesting the pattern is the same here in Super as in 64. Either a very subtle throwback or maybe just a fun coincidence?

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 pm

System Shock 2 was not originally conceived as System Shock 2. The idea to make it a sequel to System Shock?

...EA Games.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 pm

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1637455, member: 30977"]In Paper Mario, there's a segment of Bowser's Castle with two paths - top and bottom - that you need to choose the correct path on to proceed. There are lamps on the wall before the hallway that tell you the order: up, down, down, up, down, up.

In Super Paper Mario, there's a segment where you have to ground-pound a series of yellow poles in a particular way. The order here is also up, down, down, up, down, up.

I know there's a segment in TTYD where you have to go down a hallway (like in 64) and take the path that's lit by torches. I would not be surprised if it were the same order, or if this order makes appearances in other Mario games and is in fact much more prominent and well known than I thought, but anyway.

(I only noticed this because I've played 64 so many times I have the order memorized and therefore recognized the pattern here as well.)

e: just looked it up and the sequence in TTYD is not the same. Anyway, I think it's interesting the pattern is the same here in Super as in 64. Either a very subtle throwback or maybe just a fun coincidence?[/QUOTE]
It's the pattern to one of the looping castles in Super Mario Bros, I think. You basically have to chose one of two paths several times, high or low. I don't do that castle on a normal speedrun so not certain what the pattern is, though.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Sick, thought it was intentional. Had no idea it was a throwback to original SMB but that's really cool.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:46 am

Pokemon Puzzle League was developed by North America-based Nintendo Software Technology, and has never been officially released in Japan.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 am

I saw this while browsing Imgur the other day and it blew my **** mind.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: More useless video game trivia.

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 am

The name of the boss Azulmagia from Final Fantasy V means "blue magic" in Spanish. He can naturally use 17 of the 30 Blue Magic spells, and if your Blue Mages cast certain Blue Magic on him, he can learn and cast up to 11 more.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:29 pm

This is a pretty well-known one for Persona fans, but the main character's first (and most iconic) persona in Persona 4, Izanagi, is a figure in Japanese mythology that has a lot of similar elements to the Western Orpheus myth. This is cool because the main character's first (and most iconic) persona in Persona 3 is Orpheus.

It's only really trivia if you haven't played both games though, because iirc if you do the games make it a point to tell you about it. Still neat though

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Valigarmander wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 am
The name of the boss Azulmagia from Final Fantasy V means "blue magic" in Spanish. He can naturally use 17 of the 30 Blue Magic spells, and if your Blue Mages cast certain Blue Magic on him, he can learn and cast up to 11 more.
Sounds like I'm gonna have a hard time with that boss.

Enkidu is not only Gilgamesh's sidekick in FFV, but in the Epic of Gilgamesh as well. After the two slay various beasts (including Humbaba, seen in FFVI!) the gods bestow a terminal illness upon him and he dies. Thus begins Gilgamesh's quest for immortality.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 am

The dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park game Trespasser were originally designed with a complex AI that featured a variety of emotions that would influence each dino's actions. In practice, however, the dinosaurs simply became paralyzed by indecision. To get around this and meet the rushed deadline, the developers set every emotion to zero, except "hunger" and "anger" which were set to max.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”