If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

It's the little things that matter.

Moderator: X-3

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:36 pm

The music player you use in Animal Crossing will impact the song it plays. Older ones will sound scratchy and cheap ones will sound tinny. Some will even have different levels of bass and treble.

Try the same song with different music players and you'll see what I mean!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:00 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1554139, member: 30663"]Speaking of Super Metroid, I love when the smaller segments of a larger world fit together cohesively. Like how in SM, all the elevators line up perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Building on this, I like in level-based games when one level leads clearly into the next one, like if the exit shows off a preview of the following level, or if the beginning of one level is the same area as the exit from the previous one, etc. This crops up a lot in Duke Nukem 3D, and it helps it feel like you're progressing from one adjacent area to the next.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:02 pm

I like how you can see the Tower of Babel slowly being constructed as you progress through Doom's second episode.

geoprimedonna

Post by geoprimedonna » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 am

I like the way MOTHER 1's melody is so simple. Or better, how all its songs is simple. Proof that good games do not need Mozart-esque soundtrack.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:33 am

[MEDIA=youtube]4VJ1rNz7bG8[/MEDIA]

I like how Luigi's Mansion has a button just to make Luigi cry out to Mario.

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:39 am

I like (but actually hate) that if you take a talent like "Smaller, Lighter, Faster" in Borderlands 2, if you get a gun with a magazine size of originally 1, it might actually just be a size of 0 after talents. You can't fire it. Enjoy your paperweight.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:07 am

[QUOTE="Hallowgarmander, post: 1566984, member: 30663"][MEDIA=youtube]4VJ1rNz7bG8[/MEDIA]

I like how Luigi's Mansion has a button just to make Luigi cry out to Mario.[/QUOTE]
On top of that, I like how Luigi's cries become more desperate and terrified as his health drops.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:22 am

I like enemy colour-speech. It promotes immersion. Noticed it a ton in COD2 on the 360, boy--------the ratzis would taunt you a lot. Actually helped a little---------hear someone shout 'ein Geschenk von dem deutschen Armee!', you knew a grenade was coming.

Also sometimes it's just weird and funny. In 'Armed and Dangerous', you'd occasionally get bizarre death-screams. First mission and first mission only, a randomised enemy, once defeated, would yell, 'there's a bullet-hole in me arse! me poor, beautiful arse!' 'Armed and Dangerous' was pretty odd, man.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:45 am

In MGS V, the more people you kill the bigger the shrapnel stuck in Big Boss's head gets, making him look more and more like a demon.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:37 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1560331, member: 30663"]Building on this, I like in level-based games when one level leads clearly into the next one, like if the exit shows off a preview of the following level, or if the beginning of one level is the same area as the exit from the previous one, etc. This crops up a lot in Duke Nukem 3D, and it helps it feel like you're progressing from one adjacent area to the next.[/QUOTE]
Bringing this up once again:

I love that you can see other parts of Isle Delfino in the distance in Super Mario Sunshine. It really makes it feel like everything's taking place on one big island, as opposed to the disconnected realms of Super Mario 64.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:41 pm

I loved this little moment when I started Yoshi's Woolly World.

During the opening cutscene when Kamek turns all the Yoshis into yarn and takes them away in his bag, somehow I think the brief act of Yoshi trying to hang on to the bag and pull it back down as Kamek was flying away added a lot.

For one, it's hilariously adorable seeing Yoshi using his little arms to hold on while doing his "HHMMHHMMM" noise, but I also like the fact that Yoshi immediately jumped to action and put all his effort in trying to stop Kamek before his adventure had even started. It shows how tenacious and unhesitating he is. Unlike whenever Bowser kidnaps Peach, and Mario just stands and watches helplessly until he gets blasted away or something.

I'm probably reading way too much into the character of the protagonist of a Nintendo sidescroller.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:24 am

I like games that have a curtain call at the end, naming all of the characters and creatures encountered in the story. Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World, Banjo-Kazooie and Cave Story are a few that come to mind.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 am

^ Mega Man and Shovel Knight do it. I feel like it is a Platformer thing for some reason.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:15 am

So, like, back on the PS2, your game saves would go on a memory card. And, like, when you were managing your game saves, they'd be represented onscreen with goony little 3D models pertinent to the game--------a logo, a character, sometimes even an animated thing.

If you went to 'delete', the model would change in some games. 'Adventures of Cookie and Cream' had a potted flower for a model; switching to delete would show the flower fallen over and dead. 'Okage' would change the demon-lord from standing up normally to bein all slumped over, arm stretched out in supplication. 'Okami's normal model was of Issun the sprite bouncing up and down-------switching to 'delete' would change Issun red and have it bounce faster, the way it did in-game when agitated. I know there were others. Cute, silly and clever.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue May 17, 2016 5:09 am

I like how Chrono Trigger has two boss themes: the regular one you hear in most boss fights, and a more tense, dramatic one you hear during major boss fights. The occurrence of the second theme makes the major boss fights feel even more special and pivotal to the plot.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue May 17, 2016 6:55 pm

I like how Colette will name all of the dogs you talk to in Tales of Symphonia. You even get a title for her if you name every single dog in both worlds.

Along the same vein, I LOVE how in Twilight Princess you can play fetch with the dogs and when Link picks up dogs and cats he holds them gently in a hug. FINALLY a game that lets me hold virtual dogs and cats the way I want to???
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 pm

In Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, there is an underwater Dive section where the camera angle changes to a more side-facing view. In that view, you see a crevice, and if you wait just a second, a bunch of Corsola will bop along in front of you through the crevice. The 4th or 5th Corsola, looks at you, bounces around a little, and then hurries off to catch up with its buddies. It was adorable, it made me smile, and it's one of those little details that makes the game come to life.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed May 18, 2016 12:16 am

^^ ORAS HAD SSSOOOOOO MUCH STUFF LIKE THAT!!!!!! Like how you can do loop de loops and dives while soaring on Latios/Latias and how the underwater overworld has luvdisc hanging out and. I really love just playing that game and diving/soaring/otherwise interacting with the overworld bc there's so much cute fun stuff about it.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed May 18, 2016 8:49 pm

DOOM SAYS "RIP AND TEAR" LITERALLY IN THE INTRO SEQUENCE WHEN YOU START A CAMPAIGN

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu May 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Speakin of Pokemon. Can we talk about Gen IV's little things?

Polishing your badges. Having a little badge case to hold them that opens up and then rubbing your stylus on them to make them sparkle. Completely pointless but so fun and makes you feel like the badges are real possessions???? I JUST APPRECIATE THAT SO MUCH

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”