If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

It's the little things that matter.

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 pm

That's really cool. I need to play CD. Although personally my favorite thing about CD is that it is used to justify "Sonic Timeline" arguments, which are as pointless to me as Zelda Timelines are, but also infinitely funnier.

--

In Tales of Symphonia, there's an NPC in Palmacosta who is just as boring and pointless as most ((BUT NOT ALL)) of the other NPCs in that game. BUT, and this is something it literally took me 10 playthroughs to even notice, but he's the dude who gets neck snap'd by Magnius in the Cacao scene - and he is ACTUALLY GONE after that cutscene. He is gone and some of the other NPCs even mention how empty the plaza feels without him.

I just appreciate that the dudes in that cutscene were actually people who live in the city. 2-dimensional RPG NPCs, sure, but I like that the events in that scene are actually reflected by the environment afterward. NPC guy died in a cutscene and actually died for real :,(
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm

^ I never would have imagined there would be "Sonic Timeline" arguments, and yet I'm not at all surprised.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:33 pm

It's also possible I've just spent too much time in the dark corners of YouTube.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am

In Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, the music changes whenever you dive into the water. It sounds as if you're actually listening to music that's playing from above the water and vibrating down.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am

Along a similar vein, I adore that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze also dynamically switches between the "normal" track and the "water" track for a level when you go underwater. The water version is muffled and much more ambient but beautiful and calming; it's awesome. It's an entirely different composition/arrangement for the same theme and the effort that went into those water themes is 100000% worth it.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 am

^I love it when games do that. It's cool when it's a completely different track with new instrumentation, but I think my favorite example is the Dire, Dire Docks music from Mario 64. The only difference between the water sections and the cave/submarine sections is a simple drum beat.

[MEDIA=youtube]uqcPSbkS9TQ[/MEDIA]

0:00-1:45 is underwater, 1:45-3:30 is on land. I love it.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:27 pm

I like that in Super Paper Mario, the design for door keys is different in each world. The Bitlands key is all pixelly, the space key is green, etc.... just minor aesthetic changes for each level for something so mundane. I appreciated it. I'm sure other games do this too but this is the first time I noticed it.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 pm

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1636925, member: 30977"]
In Tales of Symphonia, there's an NPC in Palmacosta who is just as boring and pointless as most ((BUT NOT ALL)) of the other NPCs in that game. BUT, and this is something it literally took me 10 playthroughs to even notice, but he's the dude who gets neck snap'd by Magnius in the Cacao scene - and he is ACTUALLY GONE after that cutscene. He is gone and some of the other NPCs even mention how empty the plaza feels without him.

I just appreciate that the dudes in that cutscene were actually people who live in the city. 2-dimensional RPG NPCs, sure, but I like that the events in that scene are actually reflected by the environment afterward. NPC guy died in a cutscene and actually died for real :,([/QUOTE]

Related: Remember that guy who welcomes you to Wendel in Final Fantasy Adventure?

He also dies. When you see him in a scene where a lot of people are injured in the streets, you can see him dying... and when everyone's recovered? He's not there.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:12 pm

So I know this thread was supposed to be about attention to detail, but sometimes lack of attention to detail is just as great:

[MEDIA=youtube]JGhlg4JqvQw[/MEDIA]

I've always loved Oblivion's intro both for the reasons Bethesda intended and for what they somehow missed at 1:58.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Much like in some other RPGs, Ever Oasis gives you item-gathering sidequests. Some, however, actually request items you can obtain from monster drops or item gathering. If you have them ahead of time, you can talk to them and instantly end their sidequest.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 am

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1637402, member: 30977"]Along a similar vein, I adore that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze also dynamically switches between the "normal" track and the "water" track for a level when you go underwater. The water version is muffled and much more ambient but beautiful and calming; it's awesome. It's an entirely different composition/arrangement for the same theme and the effort that went into those water themes is 100000% worth it.[/QUOTE]
When you break the sound barrier in Xtreme G 3, the whole game (including music) goes mostly silent. Similarly, in XG4 (actually called XGRA), if the track goes into open space without atmosphere, all of the sound effects go silent and the music becomes muffled and distant sounding. It's a really great touch that shows you the kind of love and thought the developers put into a game, especially back when it would've been a pretty big move for a game running on a system that didn't exactly have extra cycles to spare. It wouldn't have taken too much to put in the routines, but actually caring that much and wanting it to affect the player's perception of the game world is very significant.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Infinite

Re: It's the little things that matter.

Post by Infinite » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:25 pm

I like how in The Last Story, you can basically become a Magic Circle for awhile by diffusing it.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm

^ And how you can drop onions on the ground and cause people to slip.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:28 am

I like that in Okami little flowers appear behind you when you run and there's a button you can press to go bork and other animals say hi back!!!!!!!!!

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”