What game has pissed you off the most?

Moderator: X-3

ScottyMcGee

What game has pissed you off the most?

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02 am

Any game. Anything. Even if you didn't necessarily shout something aloud - the game that aggravated you the most on the inside.

In recent memory, probably Online Solo Play in Smash Ultimate. In fact, I think that has been the #1 game that has only ever gotten me really heated.

Also recent memory - Diddy Kong Racing. I never bothered to try to finish that game until now. It never interested me as a kid because I thought it was a Mario Kart knock-off. While I do appreciate it more now as an adult, there are some things that don't feel as polished, and the boost items are trash. I was catching up with first place - literally inches away - using the highest boost item right after using a zipper. I still didn't catch up with them. I shouted at the top of my lungs "ASS WIPE!"

I feel like there's at least one other game out there that got me aggravated but it's not coming to me. Maybe someone will bring it up.

DarkZero

Re: What game has pissed you off the most?

Post by DarkZero » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am

ditto to playing smash online, specifically 1v1. idk why but no matter what the other player actually does i just hate them. i try to avoid playing with randos whenever possible.

single-player games that piss me off usually have missions that require you to play absolutely flawless to win: Sonic Riders and Simpsons Hit & Run come to mind.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:12 am

Putting PvP games aside because they're too easy, probably Bloodborne. I can already think of five instances where I was absolutely seething.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am

^^ God, Hit & Run missions are brutal.

Baba Is You is breaking my brain right now.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 pm

I was never able to 100% Lego Star Wars 2 because of glitches in Free Play mode that make a couple levels unfinishable.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Man, Golden Sun really had me pissed off sometimes. The gameplay was good enough other than being too easy, but it goes on these long stretches where it won't shut up and let you play. Each character has to have an animated emote after every line they say, and they do this thing where a character will say something, and then each party member will individually note that they agree. After all that, the game had only told half a story (that I've since mostly forgotten).

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Multiplayer:

I get more angry when I'm good at something, so Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. Part of it stems from some balance issues that I'm fully aware of and still I got angry when I encountered them--controller-breakingly angry.

Single player:

I don't really get too angry, frustration only usually reaches the level of "**** this *****y game" followed by turning it off. I do remember trying really hard to get Surfing Pikachu in Pokemon Stadium and struggling, then throwing the controller when I nearly earned it but just barely lost (after many attempts). I can't think of any notable instances aside from that right now.

Honorable mention:

Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle. This is more disappointment than anger though, saving in-game currency for months just to get **** on during summons and then seeing friend lists filled with the new cards is uniquely *****y.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:36 pm

I've occasionally been frustrated by games (trying to find all the flags in 'Assassins Creed' drove me blisteringly insane), but very seldom enraged.

Sometimes overcoming a challenge is so rewarding that even the frustration involved makes it a good memory. Taking out Grunty in BK during my first playthrough was like that, because I didn't bother to collect any extra lifebar during the game proper. Needed more than a few tries to manage it.
the eternal sneaky wriggler, twistier than god's own corkscrew, sharp as split lightning

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:48 pm

osu! could definitely get frustrating when I was still playing that actively. It's a brilliant game, but the ranking points system's idea of how well you did doesn't always line up with your own feelings, and it punishes minor mistakes very heavily. Getting an extra few 100s (the second-best score) on a song can make a huge difference even though you were probably only off by a few 10ms at most, and missing one note in a five minute, 1,000 note song makes the whole run pretty much pointless unless it's way above your level.

More generally, instant failure leading to significant repetition is what gets me. I don't necessarily get angry at games, but that's a really good way of making me quit.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Sonic Battle.

Mostly because their idea of bumping up difficulty is having every character kill you in one combo if they hit you but it's not the same for you. This means I had to throw out most of the game's mechanics for "run around, use move that bumps someone into a wall, use technique that causes me to dash up so I can be right over them when they bounce off the wall, then spike 'em". Repeat until you win. It became the main way to play story mode, and I was not willing to let it go, so I had far more frustration than I should have.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Mafia I win this was a competition and I won it

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Mario Kart Wii. Worst Mario Kart, bar none.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:57 pm

There have been countless Super Mario Maker levels that have pissed me off, either through genuine difficulty, or just assh*lish design.

Can't wait for SMM2.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:38 am

Halo 3- My rage phase. I was fairly talented at that game. Sometime's Halo would drop Hosts in the middle of an exchange and I'd come back into the game dead or lose the game as a result. Controllers were thrown, doors were slammed, even full on walking out of my house and riding my bike to my friends' houses because I was so mad.

Two Worlds (Xbox 360)- Honestly, F**K this game. It was the worst game I'd played in a long time. I got it on launch thinking it was going to be amazing. I tried for hours to like it, but it was impossible. The voice acting was SO god damn terrible it was distracting. It lagged three times worse than Destiny on launch day in Single Player Mode. I was so pissed off because the commercials and gameplay I'd seen were just a misrepresentation of the steaming dump that it actually was. GameStop being GameStop wouldn't accept my return and offered me an exchange for a preowned game for 10 dollars LESS than I had paid for it originally.

Jak II (PS2)- I love this game but man it can be so god damn cheap and difficult. I remember a dumbass minigame played inside of a bar that they literally didn't have to put inside the game, it served no purpose but was a part of the main story. I feel like there was more than one. You just die in the dumbest ways and if you've bitten the dust like 5 times and had to replay the past 6-7 minutes, you'll liable to get pissed off. Oh my god, the races also. Trying to get first place in some of those races was like a tutorial on how to make your blood boil.

GoldenEye (N64)- Protect Natalia. She could literally jump off a bridge for all I care. Great game but what a dumb level.

Super Smash Brothers (All of them)- I'm not going to explain myself. You know it goes. People get lucky. Sometime's you get your ass beat sometimes you don't.

God of War (PS4)- Anyone who said they beat it on God of War difficulty and then loaded up New Game Plus on GOW difficulty and didn't immediately want to kill someone IRL is lying to you. Some of those fights are punishingly hard. On par with any Souls game. The Valkyries fights are just impossible to say the very least. If you can beat all of them on both playthroughs then you're a psychopath and I question your life.

That's all I got. That was fun. I feel better for some reason.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am

That's it, let it all out! TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL!

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:01 am

ERAGON WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT NOT ONLY AS A GAME BUT AS A MOVIE. STORMFRONT STUDIOS I HOPE YOU'RE READING THIS. YOU SUCK AT MAKING VIDEO GAMES. LOTR2 WAS GARBAGE AS WELL. WHOEVER DIRECTED THE ERAGON MOVIE: WAY TO DROP THE BALL, YOU WERE GIVEN 100 MILLION DOLLARS. WHAT DID YOU SPEND IT ON?????? IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MADE IN NINETEEN NINETY GOD DAMN NINE. NOT EVEN POST TURN OF THE CENTURY. YOU SUCK.

yeah, the book was really good though. No complaints good job.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:31 am

I have yet to read that book. When I was younger I was, oddly enough, way more critical of other works. I couldn't finish it because I kept thinking the plot was basically Star Wars and that it was uninspired. But I'm over that now.

When I saw the first few minutes of the movie, as it unfolded in the theaters, I thought "Wow this is gonna suck." Opening a movie with a cheesy narration is a guarantee that it's going to suck.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I did not seem to grasp the Star Wars similarities.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:52 pm

^Replace every instance of the word "dragon" with "the Force". ;)

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:10 am

It starts off with a princess escaping some evil empire and leaving behind an important object (a "McGuffin" in film terms). In Star Wars it was R2-D2/Death Star Plans, in Eragon, it was the egg that would become Saphira. Main character is a farm boy who is taught by an old man who used to be a member of an ancient order of heroes that no longer exists/is fragmented because someone betrayed them. Main character's home is burned to the ground after the evil empire traces the McGuffin to him. Main character has no choice but to become a member of the ancient order of heroes. Old mentor dies. Main character meets a rough-and-tumble scoundrel who helps him on his journey. Etc, etc.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”