31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested In 2018!

Moderator: X-3

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: 31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested In 2018!

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:06 am

Obviously i'm not talking about AAA titles. 'Shovel Knight', 'Castle Crashers' and 'Slaps and Beans' were all indie as hell.

Does Dynasty Warriors not count as a beat-em-up? It certainly has all the earmarks (aka a third-person game in which one beats em up). It's been very successful.
boo---------------that ole yaller-eye fork-tongue conspirator

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 am

I never thought about it, but I guess Dynasty Warriors does count. Based on the trillion sequels it is also very successful indeed. Idk, I just kinda thought of it as its own thing but you're right.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 am

I can be a little hyperbolic with these sometimes. It's what passes for humor in my posts.

On the 18th day of December, this crashed right through my window...

14 Floors A Burning: Elevator Action Returns/Elevator Action 2

Perfect For:
- Those of you that believe Die Hard is the quintessential Christmas movie.
- If you've always wanted to try Hotel Mario, but are scared off by the fact that the game itself is boring.
- Pyromaniacs

What You Need- Arcade, Sega Saturn, Playstation 2, a PC or Xbox.

Elevator Action was one of those basic arcade games made during the arcade boom in the US. Back when just about anything was considered complex enough for one of these games, you scaled a thirty floor building dodging an endless wave of enemies as you looked for secret documents. Naturally, it was really hard and you probably had to either use a bunch of quarters or get the inferior home ports. You would think this one went the way of Polaris and disappeared into nothing, but then where did this sequel come from? It seems someone had other plans for action based around elevators.

In Elevator Action Returns, you can pay as either Kart Bradfield, Edie Burret, or Jad the Taff as part of a special task force. Together they must foil the plot of a terrorist group that loves to put bombs everywhere. In order to disarm these bombs, you need secret data found in the building to disarm them. Basically, each stage has red doors you have to enter before you can beat the stage. With this sequel also comes a health bar, larger buildings, new weapons and the ability to attack close range among other techniques. And of course you can use objects in the building to kill your enemies causing quite a bit of chaos that will protect you on your way around. But no matter how you play, you'll get your taste of burning action and killing tons and tons of people. Like way more than any conflict would really be worth. You better hope victor's justice applies at the end of this.
Last edited by New! Tazy Ten on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 am

'die hard' is a good christmas movie

not the quintessential christmas movie

...clearly 'the lion in winter' is the quintessential christmas movie

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 am

On the 19th day of December, I drove out of town for...

13 Puzzle Pieces: Rolo to the Rescue

Perfect For:
- Your Niece that really liked movies about animals taking on humans.
- If your favorite part of Kirby games was solving puzzles to get the three items.
- Smug Elephants.

What You Need- Genesis/Mega Drive

Remember that point in game history when everyone scoured the animal kingdom for mascots to use? We had hedgehogs, possums, bats, bobcats, pencils, squirrels, dogs, cats... the Jersey Devil...? But it was nothing more than a trend and faded eventually. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't something of note in the pile, and I'm going to let you know of another game with that title where you played... as an elephant! Hold on, hold on. Don't everyone buy it at once because there's more to say, obviously.

Rolo's mother has been taken by the circus, and seeing as this was made in the 90's that means she's in for a rough time. Our young elephant must now scour the world looking for her and his other animal friends to reach the end of a level. Rolo's game is more or less a platforming puzzle game as the animals you rescue can then be used to explore the stages you're in. There's a high jumping rabbit, a climbing squirrel, digging mole, and a swimming beaver on top of Rolo who can take objects into his trunk and spit them back out. The stages are all small, but in order to complete them you have to save every animal, and also collect the puzzle pieces that expand the world out. There's points, but like all games they're just here to give you lives and the like, but there are bonus stages dedicated to them. It's got the length and the puzzles to go the distance, so if you've ever got that nostalgia trip going then by all accounts this game will tide you over. Or you could play that game about the Jersey Devil, whatever that one is about.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 am

At a glance I literally thought Elevator Action was a 9/11 themed retro styled indie game based on the art.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 am

That's off by about seven years and I'm fairly certain the Twin Towers do not factor into the plot.

That's like the first title art I could find that's not really big.

But, here is what the Saturn box art looks like, for further reference.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 am

On the 20th day of December, I dug up from my yard...

12 Jotaros Ora-Oraing: JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: The 7th Stand User

Perfect For:
- Anyone who's seen all the manga for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and needs more
- Anyone who's played all the games for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure including that weird one based off Phantom Blood and needs more
- Hirohiko Araki, creator of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

What You Need- A Computer, or Computer like device.

Fanfiction has always been more than a little contentious. On one hand, it's a great way to experiment with one's writing style and flesh out characters in ways one never will in official media. In most cases however, it's more of a case to show the inner machinations of a bad writer. Sexual fantasies, spiteful rewrites of canon, murdering characters with certain flaws, and far more that make such things unreadable. But the best ones manage to tie canon with the writer's strengths. Self-inserts aren't easy to make work though... However, a video game fan fiction... that is certainly new.

You are a student attending the very school Stardust Crusaders starts in. One day, a boombox starts speaking to you and it teaches you about your own Stand Power. From here it links you up to Jotaro Kujo and you get tied in with the plot of the manga itself: Dio Brando is back from the dead, he's brought Stands into existence and to save Jotaro's mother from death you have to find Dio in Egypt and stomp him good. What follows is a recreation of Stardust Crusaders right down to the lines repeated and the ways you progress the story... if you want. It's a more complex version of the RPG Maker battle system it's using. There are different ways of healing which can be limited depending on how you go about things. Range is also important as short range attacks do no damage to someone in long range, while using a long range attack at a short range distance consumes way more energy than a short range attack would. There is also Friendship Points to consider, and depending on who you get the most points from, the way the game plays out might change a lot. There's a lot of variation, the plots of past and future chapters are referenced, and original content is brought in too. Yeah, it's an RPG Maker game, but it's also free and with the amount of content provided you can't go wrong with it. There IS a sequel also, but I had no time to check it out, but if you really like this one, go ahead and check out the second game too... Wait, we might be going overboard with recommendations. QUICK ABORT!

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:15 am

On the 21st day of December, my iguana sent me...

11 Witches Stealing: Marisa and Alice: Trap Tower

Perfect For:
- If colors are a big draw.
- If you can multitask.
- If you're looking to bother Patchouli, zee.

What You Need- A computer and PS4

For a time, Touhou was the breeding ground franchise for fan games, thanks in part to it being colorful, full of characters, and ZUN being an alright guy. He didn't really care what you did with his characters, possibly because he was trying and failing to draw an adult. That's not a joke by the way. When it comes to gameplay and music, ZUN is an expert. But drawing? He's still learning. At least he hasn't given up. So! Fan game. Here's one. It's good... Or at least it's competent. If you don't like hard games, then turn around I guess.

Marisa has arrived at the Scarlet Devil Mansion with Alice to... "borrow" more of Patchouli's books. Patchouli, who's had enough of getting her stuff stolen DOESN'T make a Dr. Wily-esque fortress to keep Marisa out, but instead works with inventor Nitori to create a trap tower to hide her books in. In order to conquer it, Marisa and Alice will have to work together or go home without books, I guess. So, the game. You have to get Marisa and Alice to the exit on their halves of the tower, while collecting books and avoiding obstacles. There are some caveats, of course. You have to switch between the two in order to solve puzzles, and most of the time you have to manually make the tower go up in order to progress. There are ways to ensure an easier time, like having your partner make simple commands while you do another action somewhere else. Both characters have unique actions as well with Marisa able to ride her broom and Alive being able to send a doll out to flip switches and the like. It's a really hard game thanks to this need to multitask and the challenges ahead, but the music is upbeat, the style is cute, and the gameplay is unique. It's a great puzzle game to spend the rest of your life on. Or that's how long it will take if you g i v e u p. KEEP BEATING THOSE STAGES AND GETTING MORE BOOKS HYUK HYUK HYUK HYUK HYUK HYUK!

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am

On the 22nd day of December, the UPS gave me...

10 Temple Puzzles: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Perfect For:
- Understandably, fans of the Indiana Jones films.
- If you need a co-op multiplayer game before someone comes over tonight.
- Capturing the feeling of being a grave robber, but not the part where you dig up graves in your neighborhood while dodging occaisional police cars.

What You Need- PC, PS4, and the XBone.

God, it's about time we got back to titles you actually buy with money. And what better way to enjoy these holidays then with a game that everyone can play... Put Smash Brothers down for a second. It's time for Tomb Raider! You know one of those franchises that has made
M I S T A K E S, so it's open to public ridicule now and forever. It's pretty great. But, understandably, that means we're open to a bit of experimentation and after the success of Guardian of Light, a sequel was made that is even better than the original.

Lara Croft is in Egypt as a temple has recently been discovered and she's hoping the Staff of Osiris is there seeing as Set killed his ass. Instead she finds Carter Bell, a friendly rival, and he's messed things up. By taking the staff he's released Horus and Isis, cursed himself and Lara, and Set is also out and about. Now Lara, Carter, Horus, and Isis must work together to revive Osiris so he can solve all their problems in life. Temple of Osiris is an isometric action game where four players can fight monsters as they work together. Each character has unique skills and weapons with Lara having her dual handguns and a grappling hook as an example. You will have to use all of them in order to overcome the challenges set before you, whether it's alone or with a group of friends. So, if you're lacking in titles you can play with your friends, you can take this one and it won't set you wrong. Who doesn't love adventures where you get cursed? ...What do you mean "everyone"?!

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 am

On the 23rd day of December, I found in my cereal box...

9 Stolen Aircraft: Boogie Wings

Perfect For:
- Your uncle pining for those days at the circus even though he never went to one.
- If you were playing a SHUMP and at some point you complained that the pilot of your ship doesn't just steal another one when his explodes. Get a parachute!
- That one guy that robbed an airplane and jumped out with a parachute never to be seen again.

What You Need- An way to play arcade machines (hmmmm...)

Welcome to the greatest show on earth! Feast your eyes on the bearded iguana, the world's strongest termite, and the four armed cat! Yes, there was a time when arcades were the king of the midway! Pong! Pac-Man! Pac-Land- Oh god, Pac-Land. But eventually the industry evolved and few cultures want to go OUTSIDE for stuff when they can stay INSIDE instead. It's why Netflix is popular, at least. But that doesn't mean they aren't worth playing today. Just bring it to your home. You don't even lose your quarters. It's your machine you just take them back out when you're finished.

It's the era of World War 1 and it seems someone is messing with you. That doesn't really matter though because now you have to go around to various places and shoot up everyone wanting you dead. Apparently, this attack was preemptive because you are incredibly destructive. First of all, your plane has a hook on it allowing you to grab bombs and other planes for all kinds of damage to everyone. Second of all, even without the plane you're a force to be reckoned with as you can not only lift objects five times your size, but you can also command any vehicle without a pilot in it, and also animals if they're around. It gives a LOT of power to the player, and almost none to the enemy, making your a destructive force most of the time. It's also fun in that respect, though by no means is it the easiest game on earth either as you'll have to deal with various trials as your make your way through. It's decently sized for an arcade title but short enough to clear on one day if your diligent. Just don't give up and you too can be a star on the GREAT RAGTIME SHOW! *loud cheers*

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20 am

On the 24th Day of Christmas, I stuffed my stocking with...

8 Starscreams Screaming: Transformers Devastation

Perfect For:
- After a day spent reading the Transformer Wiki
- When you realize that there are very few if any good Transformers Games out there.
- After taking Abraham Lincoln's spot at the Lincoln Memorial.

What You Need- Your computer, or any Sony/Microsoft console of the past two generations

Transformers! More than meets the eye! Transformers! THE series of the 80's... I'm pretty sure. It had everything needed to succeed including laser battles and annoying humans that act as avatars for the audience. For decades the Autobots and the Decepticons have fought and refought their war on earth with more and more dangerous foes getting involved over time. However, in terms of games, very few of them managed to make the series work thanks to them becoming more or less cash grabs for whatever series is out at the time. So trust in Platinum Games to make a good Transformers Game. I'm sure there are other good ones that were made recently, but hell if I'm going to check that right now.

Like an episode of the show, there is an issue caused by the evil Decepticons that the Autobots are looking to take care of. This time, Megatron's forces have seized an Autobot ship, the Proudstar and are going to have it start turning Earth into their own Cybertron. Naturally, the Autobots don't like that, so they take steps to stop the Decepticons from accomplishing their goal. In this game you have five playable characters: Optimus Prime, Sideswipe, Bumblebee, Wheeljack, and Grimlock. As for gameplay, it's sort of a Bayonetta-lite with the ability to dodge and slow down time, use melee attacks, and some additional emphasis on long range. Each Autobot also has a unique ability and Overdrive attack they can perform. The game isn't very long but each character gets weapon drops and credits from both main missions and side missions. You can also synthesize weapons and items to make them stronger than ever before allowing you an extra step up. The style perfectly encapsulates the 80's tv show and it wastes no time keeping to that world either. Like most Platinum games, you're meant to play this one multiple times to get the full package, but even if you don't this game was sold at a lower price than most games of its ilk. It may not be the easiest game to find in that respect but if you do get a copy, you won't be disappointed in the slightest. So transform and roll out already!

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Transformers Devastation is sick. Probably hard to find now unfortunately, even digitally.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:53 am

On the 25th day of...

IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!

7 Ghosts Exploding: Ghoul Panic

Perfect For:
- When somethings strange and it don't look good.
- If you really liked the Wii's minigame shovelware, but wished they actually functioned like a game at some point.
- When you are finally aware you are a cat.

What You Need- Arcade machines, or your friendly neighborhood Playstation 1.

Okay! I found a light gun game not made by Sega this time. It's also a different kind of light gun game, but let's not get into that yet because Playstation 1 had about a thousand games. Some were good, plenty were bad, but a sizable chunk were arcade ports. Not just that but they were equal in quality to the arcades now thanks to improving hardware. So, what am I getting with this? Well, I found this game and it seems fun. So here's why.

Witchina has turned all the denizens of your neighborhood into cats and when you investigate her creepy mansion she proceeds to turn you into cats as well! Luckily you still have guns which should help you through each of the challenges her house has to offer. As for the game itself, it's much like Point Blank in that it has a bunch of minigames where you shoot stuff and avoid other stuff. Success or failure depends entirely on your skills as a marksman. There are a few bosses and some tough challenges but nothing out and out impossible I think. There are also several modes including a usual arcade fair, an adventure that has you go through the entire mansion looking for a way out, a survival mode, and a party mode. The style is cartoony with a hint of spooky atmosphere that doesn't choke out the atmosphere. It's definitely a "BOO! Haunted House" kind of game. In that respect, though, everything is conveyed well and you won't get confused playing it. The music is also pretty great. So, just get a gun and take these ghosts back to the afterlife! And... watch for the guillotine.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 am

On the 26th day of Christmas, I got a ride home from...

6 Dump Trucks Drifting: Blast Corps

Perfect For:
- Your sister that really enjoys government procedurals
- Fans of the Lego games, but only to destroy everything in each level.
- When you lose your keys to your car.

What You Need- Nintendo 64 or as part of Rare Replay for the XBone.

Have you ever gotten tired of being a good person? Haven't you wanted to go crazy?! Haven't you ever thought about how great this world would be without cities and s**t? Yeah, you get what I'm saying! Destruction and death are the only constants and it is our duty to return our world to that constant. DEATH TO ALL!! DEATH- Oh, wait, I believe I have just been dishonorably discharged from the Blast Corps. Dang it.

Someone has made the most boneheaded move of their career by locking their keys outside their truck holding nuclear missiles and also left it in drive at the same time so now its driving all about the place, ready to hit a wall and render several miles of land unlivable. It's up to the Blast Corps to clear a path for the truck so that eventually it can be broken into and stopped. Until that time, however, you will be given a vehicle and thrown into a place with buildings you need to level so nothing gets in the truck's way. In that way, it's not too hard... sometimes. However, the stages are much larger than that and there are a few things you need to do in order to complete everything. It encapsulates that idea of a game you CAN speed through, but the real meat comes from completing the game itself. Who knows what you'll find? Good luck! You'll... need it!

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:08 pm

^Favourite N64 game, bar none.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:53 pm

I’ve heard so many good things about Blast Corps, but I’ve just never gotten to play it. Looks like a blast though.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:28 pm

I was a big fan of Blast Corps and Rare in general on N64.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Elevator Action Returns is a great game and a fairly easy 1CC

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:20 am

On the 27th day of December, I discovered the truth...

5! Weird Camera Shiiiiiiiiifts!: Spiritual Assassin Taromaru

Perfect For:
- Your roommate watching Sword of the Stranger on some website you've never heard of.
- Anyone you've recommended a Treasure developed game to and loved it.
- If you actually have a Sega Saturn. Like, what?!

What You Need- Sega Saturn

The game industry is always a great place for experimentation. With graphics, sound, art styles and especially gameplay styles. After all, you don't know what's going to work and what doesn't until you try it for yourself and fail? That's the proper way to do anything! Maybe I should be careful as this is actually the most sought after game on the Sega Saturn. It's rare and expensive to boot. Then again, every year I sort of nudge everyone to either buy an arcade machine or technically break the law. I guess you'll just have to deal.

Demons have kidnapped some girl, so now you're being called in to deal with it. It'd be easy if everyone didn't know where you are at all times and constantly attacked you where ever you are. Can't a Spirutal Psychic Assassin Killer Taromaru/Enki get some privacy around here? Well, I guess not. Luckily, like most protagonists, this one can dole out a ton of unfair attacks to literally everything. It's a 2.5D action game, one of quite a few around at the time. The new things start with a cursor in front of the character used to represent where you're targeting. It automatically locks on to enemies so most of the time you'll be mashing that attack button down. You should too, because all the enemies are surprisingly sponge-like when it comes to damage. This emphasizes a need to dodge even with a charge shot mechanic. You need to avoid damage to keep going. Don't worry if you target the wrong enemy though, simply tap the shoulder buttons to the right target and you'll be back on track. You can also hypnotize certain enemies to work for you or make them explode and there is a defensive move that can get some heat off you. It's a game for those willing to put in the effort, which is good because you'll likely be paying out the ass for it if you buy the thing legit. But nothing worth doing is worth cutting corners for huh?

Just... Just emulate it or something, god.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”