31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested In 2018!

Moderator: X-3

New! Tazy Ten

Re: 31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested In 2018!

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:14 pm

On the 9th Day of December, I found in a cardboard box...

23 Rousing Adventures!: Little Samson

Perfect For:
- Your father who still likes using his NES to this day, or at least holding it.
- If Megaman 11 made you mad and you wanted an 8 bit game with 8 bit graphics and sound
- Your golem, rat, or dragon friend.

What You Need- A Nintendo Entertainment System.

The Super Nintendo released in 1990 to 1993 depending on where you are in the world. It's a long period of time, and generational consoles were very much a newish thing, and certainly were never successful. Atari had flopped trying to make the 5200 replace the 2600 back in the day. This also meant that the NES had games coming out when the SNES was already around. Dragon Warrior 3 and 4, Kirby's Adventure, Startropics 2, Megaman 6, Battletoads, and Mighty Final Fight are some of these, but one in particular is a game by Taito that was mostly passed over which is quite the shame, really.

A dark prince gets out of his ensealment thanks to a rouge thunderstorm and begins his conquest of the world. The king catches this, and calls for four heroes to be summoned to him by carrier pigeon. Little Samson, Kikira the Dragon, Gamm the Golem, and K.O. the Mouse receive the summons to save the world. Can they do it? Well, they have a lot on their side. The big sell for this platforming game is the different characters you can call to at any time. Each has their own abilities and subsequently, their own health bar. This also means that aside from Samson, if any of them fall in the stage they don't come back until you either use a potion you find in a stage, or get to the end of the stage to revive them. You can also get health expansions in stages, but who you give them to is important and depending on the mode, you will wind up with less maximum health to go around. All the while you'll go through a bevy of difficult stages to the end and you will feel like you've earned that victory. If you need that kind of platformer in your life, well here's another. You can't go wrong with more good stuff.
Last edited by New! Tazy Ten on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm

On the 10th day of December, I found within myself...

22 Bloody Feuds: Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk

Perfect For:
- Your sister who likes mysteries and also Pride and Prejudice
- If you really like your visual novels.
- When you contract pink eye

What You Need- A PS Vita

Persecution, mystery, and the way people tend to hide their own insecurities can permeate any setting. Modern, dark age, middle age, roaring 20's, you name it there's a mystery to be had. However, that doesn't mean it will always translate well in someone else's mind. Besides, it's fiction which means you can arrange the world as you see fit, make it as secluded as you want and mess with the rules. So long as said rules are pointed out from the beginning, it will be understood well enough. So what am I getting at? ....Unga, me like solving story with brain before story does it. Show smart brain tonight at open fire to other Cro Magnon.

Jed is a general handyman in the former trade center town. It's a town where anyone with a red eye is seen as bad juju. It's also a town split into two tribes, the Wolf Tribe and the Hawk Tribe, and neither side likes the other. If anything, they're about ready to kill each other at any moment. Things only get worse when the nearby church tells our protagonist that someone has stolen an artifact of theirs and they need to find the culprit soon. On top of this is the secret the protagonist holds on her own. She is really a woman, and she has an eye that changes red on top of it all with no witch powers to help her out. This is how our story expands outward. It's up to you to collect these scenes and get the points needed to progess the story. You will also be able to change your appearance between Jed, and your real self Eiar, getting a different reaction depending on who you are. Using all these tricks, will you get to the center of the mystery and discover who you really are? Oh, and I guess you can get with any of the guys in the game if you wish. No one's telling you that you can't.
Last edited by New! Tazy Ten on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

On the 11th day of December, I found this on the street....

21 Foraged Mushrooms: Monster Hunter Stories

Perfect For:
- Fans of Ghibli's works that aren't a snob for art style.
- Your facebook friend that keeps bringing up that Pokemon Company made a rock with arms and won't shut up about it.
- You're one of THOSE people that felt bad for the dinosaurs in Monster Hunter that kill entire ecosystems when they sit down.

What You Need- 3DS and Phones

Side games are the most mainstream chance for experimentation with a franchise. If you're not someone that just changes a series' appeal because you can't make good video games, that is. However, spin-off titles are usually a Nintendo tactic tried and true. Others have dabbled in it like Capcom or Konami but even fewer can make it work well enough. We're also in a spin-off starved era so that's not helping. That is... until RIGHT NOW! IT'S YA BOI MARVELOUS BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH HANDHELD GAME SYSTEMS.

You and two of your friends accidentally hatch a baby monster, and now YOU have to care for it... or at least until this evil poison dragon appears, crushes your friend's mother and throws your baby monster off a cliff. One time skip later and you become a Monster Rider ready to defend the village and maybe get back at that monster that attacked your village. Hopefully your depressed friend that hates monsters won't do something he regrets. So, unlike in the Monster Hunter series where you kill monsters and skin them, in this one you steal monster eggs and make them yours. You can then work with them in battle and even ride them if you fill up a bar or something. You fight monsters in a style close to the Tales series in that you can move on a space of land with your opponent but attacks don't work the same. You instead use a rock-paper-scissors type of system with Power, Speed, and Technique. You're meant to remember monster strategies and counter them so they are no longer a threat to you, naturally. Of course, you also fight so be careful you're not the one to get smacked about. You can also ensure this by customizing your monster with Bond Genes that can awaken stats and abilities making each one unique to you. It's a unique experience, close to Pokemon but also its own thing, so you owe it to yourself to look at this one. Otherwise, Pokemon Company might have a monopoly on monster capture games. Is that what you want? That better not be what you want... That's strange.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 pm

On the 12th Day of December, just when I thought we were done with this song thing...

20 Deadly Techniques: Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Perfect For:
- Fist of the North Star Fans
- Yakuza Fans
- If you ever wanted to see Kenshiro in a nice suit

What You Need- Just the Playstation 4

Remember last year when I ended this whole recommendation thing with Yakuza 0 because it's part of an underrated franchise? Now its actually a really beloved franchise with a dedicated fanbase. Guess that means I have power in the industry! Haha. Well, let's do this again. Can't go around shilling the Yakuza series but I CAN shill this side game based on a well-loved anime from the 80's and one of the godfathers of the Shonen genre. It's like Mad Max and really blood martial arts movies combined: It's FIST OF THE NORTH STAR! Ai Wo Tori Modose!!

Lost Paradise plays fast and loose with the actual plot of Fist of the North Star. While the original was about Kenshiro going to small villages and killing random thugs, Lost Paraside has him arriving in a city called Eden and have the entire plot revolve around this place instead. All your favorites are here along with a few new faces that fit right in with established ones. As for the gameplay, it fits right in with the Yakuza series, with chances to beat up thugs, mini-games, and side stories that flesh out everyone involved. Naturally, the combat is tweaked to fit the series it is not licensing from with the Hokuto Shinken style making people explode in as PG a way as the series can muster. It works well and... it IS Yakuza. I'm going to recommend it on that alone. So go look for it!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 pm

That looks cool.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:38 am

^^I'm not really into 'Fist of the North Star'. I played the FOTNS game on 360 a couple years back, but that was pretty much a Dynasty Warriors game (made by Koei and all).

...I like Dynasty Warriors. Sue me.
boo---------------he has no arms and he must lift

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:56 am

Well... this one is pretty much a Yakuza game?

It's a good game series.
----
On the 13th Day of December, I slipped when I stepped on...

19 Teleport Crystals: Burning Rangers

Perfect For:
- Your cousin who's always dating firefighters
- Those looking for a new experience
- When you're setting out to lead us to the new universe.

What You Need- Sega Saturn?!

So what if the Sega Saturn wasn't popular thanks in part to Sega's poor handling of their consoles at the time and also they gave up on the system real quick? That doesn't mean there were no GOOD games for the system. Nights Into Dreams came out for it, and Panzer Dragoon was on it... Uh... Puyo Puyo Sun? Sonic Team did try to change things up, thanks to Sonic X-Treme not working out. Unfortunately, it sort of came to nothing in the grand scheme of things, but that only makes games like these perfect for a list like this.

In the near future, an elite group of fire fighters exists to face the dangers of fires in this world where they are basically the most dangerous thing in the universe, and backdraft is just a thing that happens every five seconds. You play as either a boy or girl who looks up to the Burning Rangers and work with the rest of your team to put out fires and help save people. As for the game, it emphasizes the use of speed and dealing with trouble quickly. Equipped with a jet pack and laser gun, you put out fires and are rewarded with gems. These gems are then used to save people by teleporting them out. They also keep you alive if you get hit, though you also drop your crystals so you need to pick them back up. This is important because over time a certain "Damage Limit Readout System" will go up. Each time it goes up by twenty, the nearby area will explode into flame, and if it hits one hundred you'll begin getting bombarded constantly. You're encouraged to deal with small flames and move on, making you like an extreme fire fighter. Burning Rangers has a certain control style that is unique to itself and techniques unique to itself so it will take some getting used to, as will some of its jank from the camera controls, but if you can get over all that you will be rewarded with a worthwhile experience. The future is great, so long as you remember that fire explodes in the future. Don't bring a match with you.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:59 am

^YOU'RE A YAKUZA GAME

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:32 am

I should really check out Little Samson sometime.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:32 am

...it seemed pretty rad when the Grumps tried it...

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:42 am

On the 14th day of December, the newspaper came with...

18 Strange Fish Dancing: Nezumiman

Perfect For:
- This person you know that likes mice.
- Someone really stressed out about their budget.
- If you live in the dog house of an apartment building.

What You Need- Just a computer.

Who doesn't love free stuff? Free stuff is great especially when it's pretty good free stuff. When all else fails you, and you're in a rut, free stuff will never do you wrong. Unless it's bad. But even then it could be worse because you didn't pay for it. So all hail free stuff. Like free Megaman inspired platformers! You used to enjoy stuff like that when you were a kid, so now enjoy them as an older kid. Yep. Makes perfect sense that sentence does do.

Nezumiman is out and ready to challenge Dr. Gyoniku and his eight henchmen. Going through their stages and beating the henchman unlocks Gyoniku's fortress and by extension more stages. It's a very simple Megaman clone, but it still nails just about everything in that regard while also having a basic but still unique style. It's not meant to be taken seriously and in that regard it does just about whatever it wants until the very end and even after that. It's a great game to waste an afternoon or longer on, and given the lack of a barrier to entry just about anyone can try it. Now, don't say I never give you anything. Here.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 am

God can we pump the breaks. I need the hyperbolic time chamber just to scratch my backlog. I'm still not even finished with Persona 5. Isn't that sad?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:22 pm

New! Tazy Ten wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:56 am
That doesn't mean there were no GOOD games for the system. Nights Into Dreams came out for it, and Panzer Dragoon was on it... Uh... Puyo Puyo Sun?
'Die Hard Arcade' only ever came out on Saturn, and it was hype.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:27 am

^^ If you don't have one thousand game left to play then I'm not doing my job. ;)

On the 15th day of December, I found within my couch...

17 Pathways Splitting: Confidential Mission

Perfect For:
- When someone else has rented your favorite cheesy spy movie from Red Box.
- If you really want to play the newest House of the Dead but not move to Japan to do so.
- Avoiding the cool crime of destroying ancient ruins.

What You Need- An Arcade machine or the Dreamcast

Light Gun games. Who can say no? Actually, it's not hard to say no. However, they do bring the unique experience of aiming a gun at a pile of vectors and having them spin while making an "Ahhh!" noise. But it's not all Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, or Time Crisis. Sega and Namco aren't the only companies in this ballpark. How about this spy themed light gun game published by- Sega?! God damn it! Done in by my own lack of research!!

Terrorists have taken control of a satellite and it's a very dangerous laser beam satellite too. Quick, we need to avoid that really weird scene from Resident Evil: Dead Aim! Call in Howard Gibson and Jean Clifford from the CMF to handle the situation! What follows is a three mission romp through a museum, train station and the villain's headquarters which means it's not very long but that also makes it more accessible compared to its other brethren. Which is good because it stands up to the other light gun games if you give it a chance. With two-player co-op and multiple pathways it's definitely one of those games that you won't have a problem going back to, especially with the more cheesy tone playing into it. Some may stand by House of the Dead 2 but if Confidential Mission is there instead, you won't miss out on some light gun action. Get going on your mission, operative.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 am

Man. Not even I, VGF's light-gun guy, and also VGF's Dreamcast guy, have a Dreamcast light-gun.

Talk about a niche title.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 am

I'm sure one exists... somewhere... or you can use the gamepad as a substiture.

On the 16th day of December, I obtained by mistake...

16 Nights for Demons: Yomawari: The Long Night Collection

Perfect For:
- Anyone that's seen slice of life animes and thought it'd be better if creepy monsters were in them.
- If you really like Amnesia the Dark Descent but not the monsters getting in your f- Hahahahahahahahaha.
- When you want to feel really bad.

What You Need- A Vita, the Computer, or together in a collection on the Switch (And PS4 if you only want to play the second game).

You know what? It's halloween now. F**k you. It's halloween and it's time for a cold scare. And there's nothing scarier than the fears of countries that are not your own. Zombies? Vampires? Werewolves? Ha. We want to marry those actually. Oni, however, are unknown to me and are therefore something I wish to avoid. Luckily Yomawari is there to ease me into an easy relationship, so maybe someday I might be willing to marry an oni. It's the only way for society to progress.

Yomanari as a franchise is currently two games: Yomawari: Night Alone and Yomawari: Midnight Shadows. They are very similar in themes and atmosphere: You're a kid looking for something in the dark night of a rural town. However, there are also spirits that want to harm you. In these cases you can only run or hide as you are a small child that can not fight a creature made of shadows and lips. Unfortunately, you can not run forever as your stamina is limited. You can, however, hide in places and wait for monsters to walk past you with nothing to help but a sort of radar as you hide your face. There's puzzles to solve, items to claim, and limited save options depending on how many coins you have. Also, you can be weighed down if you carry too many of these coins, so be extra cautious. Whether you're going for the collection, or buying the games separately get ready to be messed with in many different ways. The demons of Japan are mad, and they don't care who they kill tonight. What will you do?
Last edited by New! Tazy Ten on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:31 am

^Ewwww. Let's don't be gross,, here. Playing a light-gun game without a light-gun...that's just wrong. That'd be like playing 'Guitar Hero' without the guitar controller (*certainly never did that*)

...'Yomawari' sounds cool. Maybe I look into it if I pick up a Switch.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

On the 17th day of December, I treated myself to...

15 Giants with Dwarves On Them: Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder

Perfect For:
- Recapturing your significant lover's passion for Conan the Barbarian rip offs.
- When you can't wait for Streets of Rage 4 any longer.
- While you're waiting for your potion made from a melted Golden Axe to refine over the course of a hundred years

What You Need- Just Arcades (or... um... E-word.)

What:clap:Ever:clap:Happened:clap:To:clap:2:clap:D:clap:Beat:clap:Em:clap:Ups? It seems no one knows how to make one or market one these days. Or it could be that the difficulty of Beat-Em-Ups was of the quarter munching kind and no one wants to tackle a game that might have no real consequence for death. Either or. Well, Golden Axe is a good series to bet on, but all of them are either two or three player games. What about your fourth friend? Well that's why Revenge of the Death Adder exists: So your four friends can play the game and you have to watch because I mistakingly said you had four friends and not three friends. These mistakes can happen sometimes.

After a few games of people that look like Death Adder pass the Golden Axe around, Death Adder reappears from nowhere and takes the Golden Axe back returning the world to darker days. With only Gilius Thunderhead noticing that this is a bad thing, he enlists the help of Goah the Giant (that he rides around on), Sternblade the barbarian, Dora the Centaur, and Little Trix the kid with a pitchfork to reach Death Adder's castle that looks just like him and take him down. What follows is the best of the Golden Axe mechanics, with the possibility of beating up gnomes for food and magic and spells that clear the screen in a pinch. You even ride on monsters like in Golden Axe (and Dora gains human legs to do this...??). The biggest draw, aside from the great action you should be used to, is that it's four players so way more people can play than the original Golden Axe. Plus with multiple routes you'll never play the same game twice as you run over to hit Death Adder. Just make sure you bring quarters because you need one each time you die. Don't give up on me now that you've gone this far.
Last edited by New! Tazy Ten on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:41 am

New! Tazy Ten wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm
What:clap:Ever:clap:Happened:clap:To:clap:2:clap:D:clap:Beat:clap:Em:clap:Ups? It seems no one knows how to make one or market one these days.
I don't know, man. Like, there's some overlap with platformers, like 'Shovel Knight'. You get things like 'Castle Crashers' and 'Double Dragon Neon'. They rerelease old ones, the 'Final Fight's and 'Streets of Rage's and 'Chronicles of Mystara'. And 'Slaps and Beans' came out just this/last year. It's all more niche now, but it's not like nobody cares about 2D beat-em-ups no more.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:53 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:41 am
New! Tazy Ten wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm
What:clap:Ever:clap:Happened:clap:To:clap:2:clap:D:clap:Beat:clap:Em:clap:Ups? It seems no one knows how to make one or market one these days.
I don't know, man. Like, there's some overlap with platformers, like 'Shovel Knight'. You get things like 'Castle Crashers' and 'Double Dragon Neon'. They rerelease old ones, the 'Final Fight's and 'Streets of Rage's and 'Chronicles of Mystara'. And 'Slaps and Beans' came out just this year. It's more niche now, but it's not like nobody cares about beat-em-ups no more.
Outside of indies I'm pretty sure the genre has been dead a while. Last AAA beatem up I remember was The Bouncer on PS2. I think the genre didn't translate well to 3D and that's why it died.

I'd like to see a company put a budget behind a beatem up again. I think it can work in 3D if they do it right.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”