Back of the box trivia: ROUND 2!

Moderator: X-3

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: Back of the box trivia: ROUND 2!

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Me too, now I've watched it as a mature adult. Didn't stop me going to see it seven times in-theatre as a stupid-ass high-schooler.

In any event. Still better by a long damn line of chalk than the other prequels.
boo---------------he sold his soul for rocky road

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm
I don't buy it. We see many people refusing to take the Ring (Gandalf, Elrond, that vicious mean-spirited little stinko Galadriel). Anything that people can willingly turn down can't be as all-corrupting as it's cracked up to be. Unless you have a different hot take on 'all-corrupting' than what I got.

I'm willing to come to the table and acknowledge 'Phantom Menace' is better than 'The Last Jedi', but you must concede what a bad look it is to claim something you 'won't even watch' is inherently bad. Not remotely fair, is it.
Turning it down is one thing, keeping it... well, look at Bilbo and Gollum, for reference.

As for the Star Wars sequels, I mean, there's lots of stuff you know sucks, either by way of research or total lack of interest. I don't think that one needs to subject one's own palat to the distinct taste of fresh dog **** to form a proper understanding of its lack of value. Speaking of value, it's just a total inversion of values from my perspective. Luke and Anakin weren't defined by being male but by their character and journeys, so what's with the whole "the force is female" thing now? It's cheap feminism, real lazy.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm
Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm
I don't buy it. We see many people refusing to take the Ring (Gandalf, Elrond, that vicious mean-spirited little stinko Galadriel). Anything that people can willingly turn down can't be as all-corrupting as it's cracked up to be. Unless you have a different hot take on 'all-corrupting' than what I got.

I'm willing to come to the table and acknowledge 'Phantom Menace' is better than 'The Last Jedi', but you must concede what a bad look it is to claim something you 'won't even watch' is inherently bad. Not remotely fair, is it.
Turning it down is one thing, keeping it... well, look at Bilbo and Gollum, for reference.
Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel turn it down specifically because they are aware they won't be able to resist the power and darkness that ultimately corrupts each person who puts it on. They say in the beginning that the ring was only meant to be worn by one person and Gandalf tells Frodo that the ring and Sauron are one and the same. Bilbo forks over the ring on his 111th birthday to Frodo and by now 60 years have passed and Sauron is finally regaining his power. That's probably why Bilbo was able to avoid being fully corrupted. Sauron didn't know where to look for the ring and didn't possess enough power to call out to it until they torture Smeagol and find out it's in the Shire.

I think it's worthy to mention that Frodo walks into his crib only to have Gandalf grab him from behind a coatrack scaring the living sh*t out of him in the middle of the night, out of the blue, SEVENTEEN YEARS after his cousins party, just to ask for some jewelry that he told Frodo to keep hidden away which Frodo can probably barely doing remember because he was getting hammered the whole party. He then proceeds to throw his old ass cousins ring into the fireplace and then drops it in his hand after Bilbo just straight up left years ago without saying anything to him. Then Gandalf tells him that this crazy lunatic evil demon found out where he lives and the ring belongs to it. Which is essentially a secret weapon that will allow him to take over the world. Naturally, Frodo's like wtf dude you have to take this back and Gandalf dead-ass tells him that he won't even touch it to keep it safe, let alone try and go destroy it himself.

But don't worry take your fat gardener and head on over to the hotel bar a few towns over. Then on the way Frodo, who's probably already sh***ing his pants from last nights ghost story, gets chased by some scary ass hooded ghosts through the woods at night while they're swinging swords at him.They try to run over him with hell horses while shrieking this scary ass high pitched netherworld scream from ahead of him, behind him and next to him. Frodo was literally forced to clean up Bilbo's sh**ty mess and work with a guy who gave him a 6-hour headstart on ghost bounty hunters after 17 years of anticipating a threat. He might be a whiner but he had a big ol pair of balls. I would have just thrown that thing up onto the road when the first Nasguul was standing three feet away from me making the bugs start frantically coming out of the ground. F**K that.

All while barefoot.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Still not buying it.

Frodo gets to go on a rad adventure. One of the raddest adventures ever. And does he take a moment's joy in any of it? No. Do we see him smile at all the entire saga? No. He spends the entirety of it looking like someone just tolt him Santy Claus ain't real. What the hell is his deal, man.

Luke smiles and jokes around, despite the horrors that happen to him. Indiana Jones, Willow and Westley all have fun on their fun adventures, even though their fun adventures suck sometimes. Spider-Man takes the time to crack wise as he's getting merry hell kicked out of him. Detective Pikachu fights child slavers, loses an eye and two fingers to a Yakuza hit-squad, and even he manages to get a couple laughs out of it all. Frodo? Frodo spends three movies crying, and then has to go live forever in magic fruity elf land to cope, no matter that nobody he really cared about died and all the real hard work was done for him. It isn't inspiring to me to see a rich, fortunate man go on an incredible journey where everything works out pretty okay, being miserable and feeling sorry for himself the whole time. Frodo ain't no Little Orphan Annie. He's no Jubilee, no Steven Universe. He dun't even try making no lemonade out of the situation. Wanker.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Oh crap. We're doing second guesses, and IRHP just second-guessed. (Second-guessed wrong, incidentally, though I will never not think 'Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts' is one of the best games ever made. 'Hey, Boo, you know how you really like 'Banjo-Kazooie', and also GTA, and also 'Top Gear' and 'Mythbusters', and also playing with Legos as though you were five, and also playing with Hot Wheels, making stupid engine noises with your mouth also as though you were five? Well, we combined them all into a single experience for you. Try not to go peepee in your pants out of sheer delight.') (Tried not to. Failed. Not ashamed.)

...'Nuts and Bolts' rules.
I CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!

In a not so distant future...desperate to find a way to save the earth from pollution, mankind created a gigantic supercomputer and named it Noah. Noah's solution, however, was to exterminate its creators.

As the years passed, the number of surviving humans grew, slowly but steadily. They lived off of the technology that they were able to salvage from the piles of wreckage left after the Great Destruction.

And now...a young Hunter is abour to embark on an epic journey through a post-apocalyptic wasteland to fulfill his destiny...

"...deep and totally likable..." - Newtype USA

"...uniquely spectacular..." - VGO Network

A FULL-SCALE RPG THAT OFFERS UNPRECEDENTED FREEDOM!
There's a clue.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:49 pm

And while I'm on the subject of Frodo, may I remind everyone of the scene in 'Two or More Towers' when Frodo has his sword to Sam's throat?

Finally has the evil little ratso fatso son-of-a-bitch-and-bastard at his mercy, and then he completely wimps out. Absolute coward prat, Frodo. No stick-to-it-iveness, not an ounce of gumption. I could frankly carve a better man out of a banana.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I don't like Frodo either, don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying, can't blame him for losing it with the ring. It was an impossible mission.

I've got no **** idea what that game is.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Hell yes I can blame Frodo, the poxy little frog's bollock. He failed because he didn't have an ounce of moral fibre. George Bailey would have hucked the ring in without a second thought or a backwards glance. He stood up to temptation and threw it right back in Potter's warped frustrated little face. George Bailey was a boss champ.

Back on-topic-----------you might not know it, but you could have an educated guess, at least.

There've been some incredibly close guesses already.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Wait, killer computer named Noah? Is it Yugioh season 3?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Fallout?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:24 pm

It is akin to 'Fallout', and 'A Boy and His Dog', as it is akin to IHNMAIMS, but is unfortunately none of those. It is also not Yugioh, which ^^you knew perfectly well, you silly sausage.

In a not so distant future...desperate to find a way to save the earth from pollution, mankind created a gigantic supercomputer and named it Noah. Noah's solution, however, was to exterminate its creators.

As the years passed, the number of surviving humans grew, slowly but steadily. They lived off of the technology that they were able to salvage from the piles of wreckage left after the Great Destruction.

And now...a young Hunter is abour to embark on an epic journey through a post-apocalyptic wasteland to fulfill his destiny...

Travel across a war-torn world with over 800 events and quests with over 40 hours of gameplay.
Much more than forty, as I recall.

@CaptHayfever, you can have a proper second guess if you want, as long as you're not going to guess a TV DVD boxset or commercial jingle. It's a game. It really is a game, I promise you. There's a game in my hand, and I'm looking at the back of it. (Never you mind what I'm doing with the other hand.)

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:47 am

I believe you; I just have absolutely no clue what game it is.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:47 am

...Battletoads.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:38 am

It's not 'Battletoads', or any other Rareware game. I know I like Rareware lots, but guessing Rareware games isn't always a surefire tactic for success.

Travel across a war-torn world with over 800 events and quests with over 40 hours of gameplay.

UNIQUE COMBAT SYSTEM!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 am

You Hobbit racist, Boo, I'm ashamed.

Is it Power Stone...? Fat Princess?!

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 am

Racist my figs. There are maybe ten characters in the entirety of LotR that I actually like, and three of them are hobbits (Merry, Pippin and good old Fatty Bolger). Add in Tom Bombadil and Gimli as another pair of shortarses. Boromir and Faramir. Wormtongue. Saruman (solely because he was played by Christopher Lee. Lee was the best ever, man, I'd listen to him read the phone book). Yuri Sakazaki and Dan Hibiki. Theoden, Eomer and Eowyn...

...that's all that spring to mind. The rest of them can frankly go away off and drink mare's piss, far as I'm concerned.

Neither guess correct, incidentally. Stop thinking 'games Boo likes' and start thinking 'games Boo likes that also correspond to the text in question'. Neither 'Power Stone' nor 'Fat Princess' is a post-apocalyptic RPG. Nor is 'Nuts & Bolts', come to that. You guessed twice, so I'll supply two more lines.

UNIQUE COMBAT SYSTEM!
Use your personal arsenal, unleash the dogs of war or jump in a customized machine of destruction!

TEST YOUR LUCK AND SKILL IN 12 MINI-GAMES!
Somebody must be able to get this. There's only one more line-------then I have to start dropping more hints, lest you all be without success.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 am

Armored Core

I have no idea what that game is about.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 am

Le sigh.

UNIQUE COMBAT SYSTEM!
Use your personal arsenal, unleash the dogs of war or jump in a customized machine of destruction!

TEST YOUR LUCK AND SKILL IN 12 MINI-GAMES!
Earn valuable money and items!
So. That's all she wrote. It's now 'anything goes' time. Guess as much as you like. I'll dispense more hints if I feel like it. Truly hate to see this round end without any of the players achieving success.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 am

Metal Arms? It has machines, right? Do you always pick such obscure games? I can't imagine what this open world mech RPG could possibly be.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:25 am

Incorrect, friend.

My picks are always at least fair. You might not know them, but I know you all know I know them, and have mentioned them often enough in passing.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”