AGDQ/SGDQ General

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

AGDQ/SGDQ General

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 am

Because I wanted to talk about this, but don't want to make a new thread every six months.

Anybody catch any good runs this summer? I wasn't around for the streams, but I'm working through the backlog now. Mostly watching races, but I thought the Majora's Mask 3D and Cuphead runs were really fascinating. The SMB3 race was pretty great too, and really close.
Spoiler.
A damn shame what happened at the end, though.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: AGDQ/SGDQ General

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:19 am

I missed a lot of SGDQ this year because it was simply an extremely busy week for me. I did catch a few runs, though, and I’ve been watching a few VODs.

I’d highly recommend watching the Celeste and Cuphead runs, off the top of my head. The Shantae race was also great.

The SMB3 race...
Spoiler.
was still excellent, even with the unfortunate incident. Poo felt really awful, but it was great to see those two work through it as friends and have absolutely no hard feelings. They’re both great guys, and the race was still extremely entertaining (and such a HOT category).

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I caught the Super Metroid run, along with that Samus Returns run with the elevator trick trouble. I'd never seen Axiom Verge before, so that was cool. The Mario 64 race was great, for what I was able to watch of it. I liked the Cuphead run too.

I kinda half watched the Kirby's Dreamland, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and the MM6 race.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 pm

I was fortunately able to catch a good bit while working, but still haven't watched Cuphead or Catherine yet. Everything else I wanted to watch I was able to, though!

Did me another RPG-themed beverage! It was hard coming up with a way to do FFVI justice because it's just such a heckin good game but I think I did all right:

~Aria di Mezzo~
1 small mug peppermint tea
2 oz. amaretto
juice from one lime wedge, plus part of the peel
a few drops rosewater

Brew tea.
While it's brewing, add (preferably to a shaker, but I couldn't get mine to open so I just did all this in the glass and stirred) ice, amaretto, and lime juice.
When tea has steeped, add to shaker (or glass if you're a weak scrub like me, lol).
Shake then pour through strainer (or stir, but the temperature won't be uniform) into either a larger mug or a cup (I'm using a cup--only my smaller mugs are clean and I am lazy).
Top with lime peel; float with a few drops rosewater.

For non-alcoholic version, substitute amaretto with simple syrup.
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 am

Deku Tree wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm
I caught the Super Metroid run, along with that Samus Returns run with the elevator trick trouble. I'd never seen Axiom Verge before, so that was cool. The Mario 64 race was great, for what I was able to watch of it. I liked the Cuphead run too.

I kinda half watched the Kirby's Dreamland, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and the MM6 race.
Super Metroid was very entertaining this year, I loved the 100% Map Completion. I’m glad that some meme-ier categories are getting into the GDQ’s, I think that’s a lot of fun.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 pm

^I agree! Bingo% OoT was neat and I'd love to see that treatment applied to more games.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 pm

I was absolutely stoked that OoT bingo made it in this year. I follow a lot of runners who do bingo races and it’s REALLY fun as a race (especially blockout bingo - those are insane. Basically tic tac toe, where once you take a space the other party can’t). I would love to see a bingo race at a future event because then if the runners go for different bingos you see two different runs!

Also, um, I had never bothered catching the Mega Man block at GDQ before because I had never played the games, but I was around for one of them and I loved the art and music and well now I’m absolutely in love with the series and bought a **** load of X and Zero merch at anime expo, ssssssoooo that was clearly a good run. Damn speedruns getting me into new games, I’m trying to play nothing except Symphonia over here.

I really liked how many indie platformers they showcased compared to previous years, too. There was some cool stuff being showcased and I think it probably helped some of those games sell which is cool.

Being up for the 2mil mark countdown was hype as ****.

The Mario Maker race was probably one of the highlights of the event for me. It was L I T.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:53 am

AGDQ2019 is coming up in a little over a week. You can check out the schedule if you're interested.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 pm

heck yes

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:14 pm

I find the concept of speedruns to be interesting, except I don't like actually watching them. I do like watching videos about them though, oddly, like the tricks they use. I saw one break down the intricacies of SMB speedruns, it was fascinating.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:04 pm

^Have you watched any GDQ event before? They go out of their way to provide commentary that’s informative and accessible even if you’ve never watch a speed run of that game before.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:16 pm

^ Not really, but now I might. That sounds pretty cool. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have looked into it. I saw SMB3 mentioned in this topic, I think I'll start by watching that because I really like 2D platformers.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:36 pm

They also occasionally do races or relays, which can be fun to watch even if you're not big on speedrunning.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:41 am

Sonic Forces is getting into AGDQ finally I’m really excited for TheBlueMania. Also, the MMX runs at last SGDQ are what got me into the series because I loved the aesthetic so much.

Can I take a hot second to plug RPGLimitBreak too? They are the same concept as GDQ but they are smaller and tend to run longer RPGs that generally don’t get into GDQ’s due to their length. The charity they usually fund is NAMI which is a really wonderful cause too.

.....I am plugging this because I may or may not end up on the couch if ToS gets in, as Jay promised me he’d let me if I wear my Lloyd cosplay. >____>

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 pm

hey everyone, it's on!

http://gamesdonequick.com

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Hadn't watched one of these before, but that Amazing Mirror run was cool to see.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 pm

I've been watching a good bit since decompressing from l i f e

The Sonic 1 run was really cool to watch. I meant to watch Trauma Center, too, but zonked right before it started. Now am watching octostuff bc tressa is pure and wholesome

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:07 pm

I can’t stress enough how difficult that Crypt of the Necrodancer run was. I watched it happen and I’m still not convinced it was real.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm

^that run was AMAZING. Can't wait for Cuphead!

Dunno if anyone here is in a position to donate, but if you do, I suggest putting it toward TASbot plays Scribblenauts. Funny stuff.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Man, my VOD backlog is already so big thanks to my vacation last week, and I haven't had much time to watch the stream yet.

Maybe I can make some time this weekend.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”