MEGAMAN RECS: help a guy out?

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

MEGAMAN RECS: help a guy out?

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:04 am

Confessions:

1. I have never in my life played a Mega Man game

2. I think the designs are adorable though and I love the OSTs

3. After the SGDQ block out of pure curiosity I got about 10 pages deep on the fan wiki and now know more about the Maverick Wars and MegaMan lore than I ever expected to know

4. I AM OFFICIALLY INTRIGUED AND I WANT IN.

Here's the thing: I know it's a platformer series at its core, but I'm also a **** weeb and the anime ass stories going on in the X and Zero series intrigued the **** out of me. I ALSO know there appear to be twenty bajillion installments. So I wanna know where the heckie to start.

Can some fellow nerds point a nerd in the general direction of a good game to start? Preferably one of the installments with the whole anime ass story thing going on but I literally have no direction atm. I'm assuming even the X and Zero series are more focused on gameplay than story WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE but are there any that have a better balance of the two, or a better story, than others? If not, what makes you like whatever game you like best above the others?

Thank you for your time.

New! Tazy Ten

Re: MEGAMAN RECS: help a guy out?

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:32 am

Megaman as a franchise is very light on scenes, but as with anything, I'd say start at "1" depending on what you're looking for.

Megaman 1-10 (11?) cover a lighthearted world that is mostly a backdrop for the levels (Given that it started in the NES days and all, this is obvious).

Megaman X1-X8... I'm a little hesitant to recommend these because, while this is the franchise you seem to be interested in it's... spotty in terms of quality? It gets a lot harder as the games go on. X6 and X7 especially aren't all that great. More enjoyable to watch than play. At least X8 is much better so if you're that willing to invest yourself it doesn't END on a bad note.

Megaman Battle Network 1-6 (and 4.5) is an RPG series entirely on the GBA. It's real time random encounters with its own unique style and like the original megaman series it's got a more whimsical story to it with a lot of character that you might recognize as cliches in Anime to a point. Not a bad thing, but aside from a small cast don't expect more than a game or two for most of the characters. Also, expect any gimmick you can think of for video games because this series has all of them. It also has an ending if you need that in your life.

Megaman Zero is more plot heavy mmx but it also expects a lot out of you. It can be a little hard to wrap one's head around when they're just starting and it doesn't really let up on you either. It's a much darker story than even MMX too so if that's not your thing then there's nothing to be done about it. Not certain on if it tugs the heartstrings unless you play MMX first...

Megaman Legends would probably be your jam, if it didn't end on a cliffhanger that's never getting resolved. It's a 3d adventure game about treasure hunting and you go around helping people moreso than any other game. You get zenny and upgrades and you can kick a can. There's 2 games and "Misadventures of Tron Bonne" but, again, there's probably not going to be another game any time soon.

Megaman ZX and ZX Advent are DS upgrades to the Zero formula but I wouldn't say it has that great a story. Most of the two games were set up for something else coming down the line but that's never going to happen anyway.

So, what I'm getting at is you should play XOver and none of the other games. ;)

For the classic series, X, and Zero you can just look up "collection" after the name of that particular franchise and you're good to go. For anything else, you'll just have to start searching around for them and get what you can.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:09 am

You know me, and you know I'm a sucker for classic games and the history of games in general. I'm much more well-versed in the 8- and 16-bit MM games than anything else in the series. With that in mind, here's my proposed strategy:

Games 1 and 2: Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3

I think it would be very important to begin at the beginning...but not the very beginning because the first Mega Man is very much a product of its time and has some serious flaws that are hard to get over. Mega Man 2 and 3, though, are possibly the brightest spots in the entire classic series. Most importantly, I'm recommending you start with the classic series because I think it's important to see where these games came from. It provides a historical context for jumping into the various sequel series. I'd start here even though MM Classic is light on the story.

If you end up loving 2 and 3, I'd recommend eventually playing 4, 6, and 9.

Games 3 and 4: Mega Man X and Mega Man X2

In a vacuum, MMX is still an amazing game. However, I think that if you start with the Classic series and then jump into MMX, you'll really see what made this jump so significant from a mechanical and story standpoint. In my humble opinion, MMX is close to being a perfect video game. I'd follow that up with X2 so you can see the direction of the X story, and just get a feel for whether or not you'd want to explore any other games in this series.

I'll admit that I've only played X1-3, and I know there are others here who could recommend X games to follow up on. The thing is, even though the games are of varying quality, I think that you would absolutely love the anime ridiculousness in this series as it goes on. I'll let you decide.

Games 5 and 6: Mega Man Legends and Mega Man Legends 2

Full disclosure: I do not really like Mega Man Legends. However, I think you will love Mega Man Legends. If any game in the Mega Man series can be heavily compared to Sonic Adventure series, it's Legends. The era of gaming history in which it was developed, the storytelling, the plot, the characters, the overall feel...I know your taste, and I don't want to state this too strongly, but I can almost guarantee that you will love the Legends series. And you have experience in being a jilted fan, so you'll have even more essay-writing material to work with when you're done.

I've never played the Misadventures of Tron Bonne, but if you like Legends, you might as well go for it as well.

--

These are what I would consider the "must-plays" for you personally. Past this, you can explore other series--Battle Network, Zero, ZX, whatever. And of course, feel free to take or leave anything I've said here. If you end up really disliking how Mega Man 2 feels, you might not want to play 3. You might fall so in love with the X series that you'd want to play 1-8 straight through (I would not be surprised if this happens). Maybe you won't like Legends as much as I think. But whatever happens, report back, because I want to follow your Mega Man journey.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:14 am

Bless y'all both. From here and what some of my IRL friends are saying, I will start with MegaMan 2, probably go straight to X and X2 from there, and definitely check out Zero, Legends, and Battle Network because pretty much everyone who knows my tastes has recommended those for me even if they don't love them as much themselves. And then there are about a million other games to follow up in each series on depending on what I like and don't.

I am excited. The nice thing about being 30 years late to a series is there's so much to catch up on!!! (And thanks for the deets on the collections/rereleases Tazy)

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I think the first game is still worth playing, especially since it's usually included with the other Classic games.

X4 has anime cutscenes and drama so you'd probably be into that. It's also probably one of the easiest games in the series.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm

The original Mega Man games are a good place to start. It's nothing really to do with chronological order but more so thematically; you would appreciate the evolution into X.

I'd say play Mega Man 1, 2 and 3 first. If you're itching to explore X after that, go for it. 4, 5 and 6 are basically the same good old classic Mega Man fun. But I find 1, 2, and 3 necessary.

The first Mega Man is like the Terminator. Awesome stuff. But you know what's even better than Terminator? TERMINATOR 2 - that's what Mega Man 2 is like. Mega Man 2 is the Terminator 2 of the original series.

Mega Man 3 introduces Rush and Proto Man, so that's quintessential.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:30 pm

X-3 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 pm
X4 has anime cutscenes and drama
Say no more I'm sold.

Also NOW THAT I KNOW MEGAMAN 3 INTRODUCES NEW CHARACTERS I clearly need to get in on that too... that explains why everyone recs playing (1) 2 and 3 to start off. I would be missing out on the PROTO MAN LORE otherwise :0

--

Knowing me I'll prob do what I did with the Mother series: start with 2 and then go back to 1 later if I like it enough to get a feel for its origins

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:47 pm

^I think that’s the best way to treat Mega Man 1 in your shoes.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Having just played them for the first time myself, MM1-3 are like almost everything from that era in that they have essentially no story in-game. Outside of the opening crawl and anything in the manual, you get a few lines of text at best. Proto Man is just a boss that shows up repeatedly with no context until they have a sentence about him right at the end, and Rush is just a tool in your inventory.

They're obviously worth playing if you enjoy the gameplay or just want to appreciate their historical significance, but you're probably not going to get anything out of actually playing them if you're here for lore.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:35 pm

I kinda figured I should expect about that much (that for the NES installments I would have better luck looking up the single paragraph of lore from the game manuals lmao) - but thanks for clarifying!

I'll jump into MM2 after work today and once I finish it I can decide whether I want more like it, or if I want to jump into one of the other subseries. I got charmed by the aesthetic watching runs so maybe I'll want more Mega Man before dumping him for X and Zero? one way to find out is to play.

I appreciate the nerd hivemind helping me out here, I had NO idea where to start lmao. All the input has been great. I hope you're all ready for endless liveblogging and 30 paragraph essays on why Dr. Light is a bad dad

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 am

Update, I played about 5 minutes of Mega Man 2 before I remembered that I am bad at video games and old games demand you get very good at them in order to progress. So I was like "eh I'll just watch more speedruns," dumped it, booted up Mega Man X, and I AM APPROXIMATELY 5 MINUTES IN AND IT'S ALREADY 10000000% MY ****

Beat the first level, get rekt by an OP boss and have your robot boyfriend save you? 100/10; my brand.

(also hel-LO, broken wall jumping, this is so fun wtf)

talk about a killer OST for the opening level. and Zero's theme is badass. as is his ponytail. too bad he just said "I'll see you later!" and in anime that means he probably won't see you until like the end of the game.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:49 am

if you ever wanna get back into the classic series i would recommend mega man 9 or 10. they're still challenging but a lot more fair than mm2 and they're basically the best in the classic series imo. mm10 even has bass, who more or less controls like an mmx character.

but you cant go wrong with mmx1, its fantastic in almost every way
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 am

I'm glad you tried out MM2, at least. But I'm even more glad that MMX has grabbed you right away. I think you'll love those games.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 am

I haven't played many Mega Man games, but I highly recommend the Ruby-Spears cartoon. It's animation of the highest quality.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:24 am

Captain N has some good Mega Man stuff too.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:03 am

It was a lie to imply I went into the series knowing nothing, because you have all reminded me that I had this important piece of background knowledge:

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:57 am

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm

The X in Megaman X stands for "Megaman X Abraham Lincoln"

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 am
I haven't played many Mega Man games, but I highly recommend the Ruby-Spears cartoon. It's animation of the highest quality.

It didn't occur to me until now how Cutman's voice is bordering on Mexican caricature.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 am

I thought it was a crappy Peter Lorre impression.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”