Bad parts in great games.

Moderator: X-3

VG_Addict

Bad parts in great games.

Post by VG_Addict » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Even the best games ever made have THAT part, whether it's a level, a boss, puzzle, whatever, that are so annoying and frustrating that it brings the rest of the game down.

For me, it's the Anor Londo Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. If you try to block the arrows, you'll get knocked back, usually falling off the ledge and to your death. You just have to get lucky and make the Knight on the right fall off the ledge.

HarkZero
Supporter

Re: Bad parts in great games.

Post by HarkZero » Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 pm

the only thing i ever groaned at in breath of the wild was the handful of shrines requiring motion controls because i was playing on the wii u with a pro controller and i hate being forced to switch to the gamepad.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm

The Boobeam Trap in Mega Man 2 is pretty annoying in large part due to how punishing it is if you waste any ammo.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Labyrinth Zone. Sonic's sluggish movement + the drowning music + the worst boss fight in the game.

And remember, "I'm-a Tails, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm

I'll also point to something in Anor Londo: the Cathedral Rafters are inexcusably bad. Nothing about fighting ranged enemies on a narrow platform with 90 degree turns over an instant-kill fall is fun.

More recently, there's a point about 2/3rds of the way through Pokemon Moon when the game decides it'd be really fun if you only fought extremely underlevelled Team Skull members for about an hour. I love that game, but I came really close to giving up on it because of how tedious that got.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 am

Rainbow Ride in Mario 64. Honestly, it wouldn’t be so bad if that game had any semblance of checkpoints. It’s intended to be the endgame challenge level. But to make one wrong move/get hit by fire/bump an enemy/mistime a walljump, get sent careening into the abyss, and then have to start all the way at the beginning with a crawling carpet ride...

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm going to bring it forward to the PlayStation 4 and Persona 5. Whenever you have to drag yourself into the jail cell and talk to Igor (or Jiraiya for the naruto fans.) There is always that terrible god awful opera dread chorus background music and it would get to the point where I would just go mute the tv when I walked in there. I'm not bashing the game's soundtrack either. I think it's awesome. It's just that one annoying room.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Sailing in The Wind Waker.

Blue coins in Super Mario Sunshine. Apart from being padding (240 coins to collect for 24 of the game's 120 shines), there's no indication whatsoever which blue coins you've collected, so if you end up with 239 coins and don't know which one you missed, good **** luck finding it.

The Chozo Artifacts from Metroid Prime (and to an even greater degree, the Sky Temple Keys from Metroid Prime 2). They weren't completely unbearable, but it did interrupt the flow of the game to have to go on an Easter egg hunt before continuing to the endgame.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

So I've been thinking about rhythm games recently and I think Guitar Hero III might be the best game in the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad but one thing sticks out: the battles.

While it's a fun little idea to have battles with Tom Morello and Slash and the Devil I don't think the execution really worked for it, and it's a shame. I just wanted to play more of the actual songs instead of dealing with the weird gimmick.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Pretty much all of Symphonia's elemental dungeons, especially Tethe'alla's. Most of them are just tolerable (Sylvarant's are pretty alright imo), but the temple of darkness specifically is just insufferable. I love that game for the story, characters, and battle system.... But I would love to meet a single person on the entire planet who plays it for the dungeons. The part of the game that comes just before the disk swap on GCN drags because it's just Tethe'alla Elemental Dungeon Hell.

(Although unpopular opinion, virtually everyone hates Ymir Forest the most but that one's among my favorites. I really like the music and concept and atmosphere. Also, thanks to speedrun skips, I don't ever have to actually do it so that helps.)

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm really fed up with my weapons breaking in Breath of the Wild.

To an extent it bothers me in Fire Emblem as well, but at least I have the number of uses I have left available.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:52 am

JUMP JUMP

SLIDE SLIDE

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Oh I hated the Cloister of Trials in Final Fantasy X. The music drove me insane too.
Last edited by ScottyMcGee on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Thinking back on every Pokemon game; I just cannot stand talking to nurse joy to heal my team.
Between the animation of the pokeballs going into individual slots, then, "dun dun duhdumdun."
How many hours of my life has been wasted just dialoguing with her? Call me impatient I guess.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:10 pm

the music club girl in persona 4 sucks and her social link is a disgrace to the Sun arcana, ESPECIALLY AFTER AKINARI WHO IS THE BEST **** PART OF PERSONA 3

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Dharma TempHELL / HELLTrades Abbey in Dragon Quest VII.

This level is NOTORIOUS for people who have played it - thankfully the 3DS version makes it a LOT better, but it's still easily the worst part of the game. See, plotwise, it's actually very interesting. Gameplaywise... you end up facing tougher enemies than before, have all your abilities removed (Sans an item that replicates Healmore for free), you can't turn back once you start, the gear is either too expensive or not that great, you have very few opportunities to save or even get to a place where you can recover. Once you make it out of one long dungeon, you get ANOTHER level and end up having to fight in a new arena you never heard of before. It goes on for awhile, easily the longest standalone scenario of the game.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 am

^^I've played finished P4 four times and never did the music club link. Pretty sure it's just a myth.

The Legend of Heroes is easily the best modern JRPG outside of Persona, and Trails of Cold Steel is probably its best subseries. Unfortunately, it's also the game that gave us Blade, which I can only explain as Falcom deciding it needed a card game because Square had some, but also not wanting to put any effort whatsoever into making a card game.

You and your opponent each get 12 cards and then draw from the deck until someone's draw is higher. The player with the lower score then plays a card to make their total higher, and so on until someone can't, in which case they lose, or makes the score even, in which case you start over without refreshing your hands. Cards range from 1 (which revives your last dead card to avoid being useless) to 8, along with special cards that flip your opponent's last card, swap played cards, or double your total. Hand makeup is entirely random.

It might not be clear from having the rules dumped at you like that, but in-game it's almost immediately obvious that the best strategy is always playing your lowest card that keeps you alive, and only playing specials or 1s when no numbered card is enough. Which could maybe still be fine if the AI didn't also know this, but it usually does, so every game is essentially a 5 minute coin flip determined by whoever's starting hand was better.

Mercifully, you're only forced to play this for maybe 30 minutes each out of games that are 50 and 80 hours long, but every one of those minutes is pointless.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:18 pm

The fact that you can't save right before the vampire fight in Eternal Darkness, so every time it combos you to death because Edward has NO EFFING HEALTH & there's no time to cast Damage Field, you have to run through the whole house saving servants all over again.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1, Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2, Marble Garden in Sonic 3, Wacky Workbench in Sonic CD, and Egg Rocket in Sonic Advance

Almost every Sonic game has that *one* zone that you just dread having to play. They all have similar weaknesses too, they constantly break your momentum, are mind numbingly long, have terrible **** enemy placement, and have an annoying boss. Every single time.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 am

The ending of Crisis Core. Don't want to give away too much. Don't know if it belongs in the good parts thread or the bad parts threads tbh. I put it in the bad parts though just because it pissed me off.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”