Games that blew you away the first time you played them.

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

Games that blew you away the first time you played them.

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 am

Not talking about the quality of gameplay per se, but more about technical aspects like graphics, physics, level design, etc.

I don't have the same attachment to Half-Life as a lot of people do, but it was still an amazing experience the first time I played it. I had never before played a game that felt as real as this: the storyline was completely integrated in the gameplay, with no cutscenes or the like to break your immersion; there were NPCs you could talk to and interact with, and who would react dynamically to their environment; there was an impressive (for its day) physics engine; the map design was excellent and Black Mesa felt like a real-world location, unlike the repetitive stone labyrinths of Wolfenstein 3D or the implausibly-designed spaceports of Doom that I was used to. A lot of this stuff is old news now, but 20 years ago there was nothing like Half-Life and it completely blew my mind.

Then there was Super Smash Bros. Melee. When I noticed that Mario's overalls were detailed enough that you could see the seams, I thought console graphics would never be able to improve further.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: Games that blew you away the first time you played them.

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:49 am

I felt the same way about Mario's overalls lol.

Chrono Trigger, but technically not. I rented it as a little kid way back, and I didn't understand the concept of RPGs at all and thought very little of it. When I played it some years later in my early teens I just couldn't believe how perfect it was.

Final Fantasy X was similar. The opening scene and first segment were incredible, it draws you in even faster than Chrono Trigger.

Pokemon Stadium was plain awe-inspiring. It was my first N64 game, and even though I played others before that it was different to play your own system, especially Pokemon since it was at its peak then.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:34 am

I’m re-playing Mario Odyssey right now, and there are still some moments and vistas in that game that make me really appreciate the Switch and its capabilities.

I’m old enough to remember the jump from 2D to 3D, at least a little—I remember being completely mesmerized by Super Mario 64.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:23 am

I remember being really impressed by the CG, if not much else, in Final Fantasy XIII.

And Kerbal Space Program feels kind of obligatory here. If only there had been some common saying preparing me for the fact that rocket science is difficult.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 am

This might be the most uninteresting answer, but Super Mario 64. That perfect transition to 3D. My family rented a Nintendo 64 maybe 3 or 4 months before we finally bought one, and we spent the whole time taking turns flying around with the wing cap. The whole family, mind you; not just me and my sister.

They really need to bring the wing cap back.

This might be the second most uninteresting answer, but Ocarina of Time. I will never forget the night it finally came out, which will probably always be my most treasured gaming memory. From that opening scene of Navi flying through Kokiri Forest to greet Link, I knew I was in for something special. Everything about the game - the dungeons, the music, the characters - was probably the most fully developed and realized world I had seen in a video game up until that point. Interestingly enough, even though that original sense of magic and wonder has faded, I enjoyed the game more than ever replaying it on the 3DS last year.

To a lesser extent, this can also apply to playing Link to the Past a few years earlier and Breath of the Wild two decades later.

Other games:
Donkey Kong Country: even after the promotional tape Nintendo Power sent us, the pre-rendered graphics blew me away
Katamari Damacy: Such a bright and unique game with it's original concept, fun music, and quirky sense of humor.
Super Mario Bros: It was the first video game I ever played. Quite fitting, no?

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:17 pm

i also agree with mario's overalls in melee

i remember being really impressed with shantae and the pirate's curse the first time i played it (mostly how the music sounded so much richer and livelier than the MIDI-based soundtrack of risky's revenge).

i played tony hawk's underground at a friends house when i was 9 (this was my first true introduction to the tony hawk series of games) and it was so impressive to me that i asked for the game for christmas, and honestly it's still one of my favorite games for the gamecube

and the original super smash bros. because i was already a fan of so many different nintendo franchises at this point and having them all together in a crossover game was incredible to me
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Given my original username... which is still in use here, I actually have to say Sim City 2000.

See, I had played Sim City and Sim Town before (Let's not speak of Sim Town) but Sim City 2000 was such a step up from the original Sim City that I was shocked at how in-depth it was. Perhaps the most intriguing thing for me before I knew just what some of the options WERE was the ability to label things and put signs down. Yeah, I know - I was very immature and did things like put a sign that said "MOVE IT YOU IDIOTS!" on crowded roads.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:11 am

If I'm honest? Demon's Souls. It's still my favorite of the Souls series. It was awfully clunky but it had so many creative ideas that it experimented with that it enjoys as the first game in the series that other Souls games did not. Sure, this led to huge flops of ideas, like the World Tendencies, but it also made a lot of specific moments in the game really stand out and surprise the player.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:12 am

Somehow I forgot Morrowind in my first post. I didn't get to playing it until 2009, but since KotoR was the only RPG more involved than Pokemon I'd played to that point, the amount of freedom in it was absolutely incredible. I ended up getting over 200 hours out of that game and playing basically nothing else for the couple months that covered. Then I immediately went into Oblivion, which had the same effect.

Everything is kind of mind-blowing when you've spent the better part of a decade on GameBoy and Civ III. There were a lot of other examples that were more a product of my experience than their own innovation in that 2006-2010 window.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

As far as newer games, Odyssey and Breath of the Wild definitely come to mind in particular because of attention to detail. You want to explore every inch of those

will also agree that melee blew my mind as well. also the first time i played final fantasy vi wasn't until ps2/gamecube/xbox era but it blew my mind how everything was so good for its time. that's one of the old school games where you really have to stop and note about how much they were able to do with the technical limitations of the time.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night blew my **** mind the first time I played it. Everything about it from the fine tuned game play, to the amazing sprite work, to the unmatched variety of musical styles present in the ost. I played it 10 hours straight and regret nothing.

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Seiken Densetsu 2 for the epic story and ost, its poetry, its groundbreaking battles… that was pure magic.

Super Metroid (snes)

Two players games : Putty Squad (SNES) and Metal Slug…so many hours…

Last but not least : Silent Hill 2, my own epiphany… that game could really mess you up. I spent a lot of time writing and reading theory on the forums. And the haunting themes by Yamakoa… I still watch the introduction video on Youtube and I still think it’s gold.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm

^ Putty Squad? Genuinely curious what you saw in it (I only tried the Vita remake but it was kinda bad).

Adding Star Fox Adventures to what was shockingly good. The graphics were crazy--the grass had individual blades, man. Music was perfect for the game even if it may not be the type to stand on its own, and it was just insanely fun.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Not sure if its even technically a game, but Doki Doki Litearture Club was absolutely mind blowing. That was the first time I found myself truly engrossed in a story in YEARS.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm

I found Skyward Sword absolutely visually stunning when I first played it, and thought the wii sensor motion stuff was THE FUTURE OH EM GEE.

The motion sensor gameplay is actually kind of terrible going back and the swordplay is incredibly frustrating, but I still appreciate the aesthetic style even if I prefer TP's art direction now.

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:57 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm
^ Putty Squad? Genuinely curious what you saw in it (I only tried the Vita remake but it was kinda bad).
Well, I was 14 when I first played it, in 1998… and there was this killer split-screen 2 players mode. And these colourful worlds with 3D elements (very unusual for me back then) just blew our eyes. There wasn't all that real 3D stuff but it was still lotta fun even though we'd lose often to those leapts of faith...

There were jumping carrots with uzis, a cat you could knock out to jump on his belly... the main character is a ridiculous bubble that inflates itself to fly or wear a fake mustache… and those crazy worlds with their secret doors…

I just found that they made another OST but I really miss this track : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGUv9I54KsA

Also I’ll never quite understand why they removed the 2 players mode in the recent version.
Last edited by Turrican on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

'Soul Edge' in the arcade (aka 'Soul Blade' on PSX) really grabbed me. I mean, the arcade version was great, and the home version improved on it in every way.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”