Tetris Syndrome

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

Tetris Syndrome

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:20 am

Wikipedia:
The Tetris effect (also known as Tetris Syndrome) occurs when people devote so much time and attention to an activity that it begins to pattern their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. It takes its name from the video game Tetris.

People who played Tetris for a prolonged amount of time could find themselves thinking about ways different shapes in the real world can fit together, such as the boxes on a supermarket shelf, the buildings on a street, or hallucinating pieces being generated and falling into place on an invisible layout. In this sense, the Tetris effect is a form of habit. They might also dream about falling tetrominos when drifting off to sleep or see images of falling tetrominos at the edges of their visual fields or when they close their eyes. In this sense, the Tetris effect is a form of hypnagogic imagery.
The only game I play a whole lot of these days is Doom, and I do occasionally dream about shotgunning imps and revenants and demons (or sometimes, dream that I am the demons), or see potential Doom maps while casually observing the world around me. Apart from that, I remember having a bout of Super Mario Maker-themed dreams after that game came out.

Anyone else ever suffer from Tetris syndrome?

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Tetris Syndrome

Post by Marilink » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:29 am

I’ve definitely had his happen. True to its name, this actually happened to me when I got into Puyo Puyo Tetris last year. Most recently, I started thinking in terms of Celeste air-dashes and how to climb up tall things.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 am

I rarely have any dreams these days, let alone ones specifically about video games, but I have dreamt that I pulled a new cool card in Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle a couple times. I even woke up satisfied once, thinking "nice pull."

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am

I've had dreams involving games, but they're usually really random and have no relation to anything I've been playing recently.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:14 pm

My entire life is basically just me suffering from the Tetris Effect re: whatever thing I'm currently obsessed with.

I always know it's bad when I close my eyes and immediately, without consciously trying to, just see images of characters or scenes from the object of my affections as soon as the real world isn't there to distract.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:05 pm

For the record, I barely ever remember my dreams, and when I experience the Tetris syndrome it’s mostly with vaguely moving images when I close my eyes to go to bed or something. Tetris and puzzle games in general make it happen more than anything, though, because the pattern recognition starts to implant itself in my brain if I inundate myself with it.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:37 pm

I had that with Tetris DS for a short while and its alternate modes. It wasn't too annoying really.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 pm

It's not so much that I see in-game elements, but I do catch myself mentally playing through a game. Happens with board games/magic, too.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:43 pm

I played so much Gears of War online at one time that I started to see real-life walls and corners as places I could snap onto for cover.

Also while playing Breath of the Wild I was a little afraid that I would end up jumping off some high place in real life, thinking I could just open my paraglider.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Totally, especially with Tetris & Minesweeper.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Mushi

Post by Mushi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 pm

This is definitely me with Monster Hunter right now.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 am

i remember one time after playing a bunch of bionic commando i was sitting outside and a bird flew over my head and i tried to grapple it

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 am

^ Not sure this counts but that reminds me of being in school during the early Pokemon craze, and me and several other students literally couldn't remember certain names of a few real animals, just their Pokemon equivalents. I specifically remember "pigeons" escaping our recollection, we were calling them Pidgeys as if it were normal.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:19 pm

I used to have that problem with rhino/rhydon.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:48 am

Back when I was super into 'Assassins Creed', I'd kind of find myself looking for routes up old-timey buildings. 'Hmm. Yeah, Altair could climb that, no probsky.'
boo----------------the furious little monkey

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:09 am

I've always had this very strongly, in the sense of "rapid pseudo-hallucinations of patterns all over my visual field." Video games are very good at triggering this but plenty of other things do, like how doing a lot of math results in "seeing" written equations all over my visual field, or if I see a lot of images of a specific type, when I close my eyes my brain will be rapidly visualizing images of that type, or after drawing, say. In some cases it would be strong enough for me to get open-eye visualizations.

For me it doesn't just apply to vision but also includes kinesthesic "hallucinations." After doing certain sports and activities repeatedly, at the end of the day while laying down I'd "feel" the bodily motions of myself skating on ice or running around a field throwing a frisbee repeatedly (sometimes in addition to seeing things, if I closed my eyes.) Sort of like hallucinations my brain was using to continually practice something subconsciously. This probably sounds really weird though, I guess it's hard to explain...

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm

^I don't know how common it is overall, but a decent number of people I know (including me) get that motion hallucinations thing as well. Got audio hallucinations of the Pokemon Gold/Sapphire battle theme when I was a kid and played those games almost exclusively, too.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:44 am

oh yeah I get the motions thing after extended travel
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Hotel Security

Post by Hotel Security » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:43 pm

I haven't played Tetris in years but I STILL have the Tetris Syndrome where I'll see gaps in things and think of the proper pieces to fill them. Could be worse...

Red

Post by Red » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Every so often I'll get the sound my gameboy color used to make when it froze, in my left in ear. It's probably just my GBC haunting me in the form of tinnitus though.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”