Underappreciated games.

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

Underappreciated games.

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:05 am

I could've sworn AJ made a thread with this topic after Sonic Forces came out, but I either can't find it or I'm just remembering wrong. :shrug: Anyway, what are games you think don't get the love they deserve?

Doom 3 has a reputation as the black sheep of the Doom family, and for good reason. But I do think fans of the series sh*t on the game more than they should. Yeah, the shift from a high-speed running-and-gunning action shooter to a slower-paced survival horror game was jarring. Yeah, some of the enemy designs were a little bland. Yeah, the game was really f*cking dark. But looking past all that, it was still a really great game. Graphically it looked amazing for a 2004 game. The darkness was a little overbearing at times, but it contributed to a fantastically creepy atmosphere. The PDA system was divisive, but I remember really liking it and the extra layer of depth it added to the game (in a lot of ways it reminds me of Metroid Prime's scan data). Some of the new enemies (particularly the Cherubs) are great and genuinely unnerving. And Hell looks incredible in D3, better than ever before or since in the series. It actually looks, sounds, and feels like Hell in this game.

As a big fan of the Doom series as a whole, I can see why a lot of people were disappointed by Doom 3. But I think if you go into it not expecting another Doom or Doom II, but take it for what it is, you will really enjoy it.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Underappreciated games.

Post by Marilink » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:37 am

Mole Mania

In the dark days of the Game Boy, before the platform was essentially saved by Pokemon, an obscure industry visionary named...uh, *checks notes*...Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo EAD released this top-down screen-by-screen puzzle game. Similar in structure and style to Adventures of Lolo, Mole Mania is a game about solving block-pushing and enemy-squishing puzzles. The thing that sets the game apart is the ability to navigate both above and below ground, a mechanic that forces you to think outside the box and play by the game’s rules.

It’s a little crazy to me that this First Party Nintendo game gets mentioned basically never, given that it’s also very fun and creative. The Game Boy has a lot of bad and skippable games on it, but Mole Mania is certainly not one of them. Check it out, it’s not long.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 am

I second Mole Mania.

Chrono Cross is underappreciated for reasons well known. Final Fantasy VIII, because "Draw," I guess? Maybe because Squall acts kinda emo, idk. Saiyuki [PS1]. Nobody seems to mention it but it is among the best TRPGs.

First two Pokemon generations, they've got more charm and personality than the rest combined. Mario Sunshine, it sh*ts on the rest. Budokai 2 (it wasn't even in the HD Collection, wtf).

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:33 am

Fire Emblem IV Genealogy of the Holy Wars. A lot of the early Fire Emblem games feel really bare bones after playing the newer entries, this is not one of them. Almost everything that the newer games are doing was already gone here. The romance system, optional 2ND generation characters (which were done better here imo), the weapons triangle. It all came from this game. It's also got hands down the best and most intricate story in the series.

Mega Man 6, 7, and 8. 6 was ignored because people felt the series was getting stale, which is sad because this game had more variety than any of the other games in the series. 7 was out shined by the X games, which I fully understand. I don't get the hate for 8, the graphics and sound are fine and up to par with X4, X5, and X6. The music isn't my favorite in the series but has its charm. It's really soothing, Imo. The level design is great and I LOVE that you get a checkpoint half way through the level, which allows them to be much longer without feeling tedious. The actual design of the levels is really good too, minus the unnecessary snow boarding sections that the X series had in the form of speeder bike sections. The shoot em up sections were really cool, and I wish there were more of them.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 am

Mass Effect 3 is a brilliant game if you either ignore the last 10 minutes, or, like me, pretend it actually ended with the Citadel DLC. I fully appreciate that those 10 minutes are self-defeating nonsense, but it's a shame that they overshadowed everything else so much. At least until Andromeda showed everyone what an actual ME trainwreck looks like.

Can't really think of anything else that's underappreciated because people didn't like it, but there's dozens more if we're counting games that just didn't get any attention.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 am

Dragon Quest Builders would be my pick. On the surface it seems like just another Minecraft clone cashing in on the hype, but a decent amount of thought was put into making a story and goal with all that building. I don't really fully understand why I like it so much, myself, but a lot of people either hate it or plain don't care about it from what I can tell.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:39 pm

hold on let me copy-paste the essay i have saved in my phone notes about how good and underrated forces is, one sec:

Sonic Forces is hands down no contest my new favorite Sonic installment. It's the only one to have ever dethroned Adventure 1 for me, and there are quite a few reasons why I enjoy it so much:

- I love its presentation. Visually, musically; I find it so polished and amazing aesthetic-wise that it's just a satisfying piece of media to consume. (I had the same praise for Mania; they have distinctly different looks but I think they both nail what they were respectively going for here.)

- The avatar. This is the real reason it's my favorite. I have been wanting to play as someone other than Sonic for SO LONG but none of the other attempts were remotely appealing to me. I would've liked 06 if the load times didn't make it unplayable for me; Boom is... yeah; Heroes is fun but you don't really get to actually play through levels as different characters so much as you're forced to cycle through all of them. The Avatar is the first time since Adventure 2 I've been able to experience and enjoy multiple play styles, and as someone who grew up with the Dreamcast era this is a huge priority for me and they finally got it right again.

- Customization!!! This is THE biggest success and selling point of the game imo. The sheer variety is incredible and some of the options are just totally bonkers. You can make some legitimately cool looks and you can also make garbage memes, and everything in between. I have spent so many hours just on customization.

- The postgame absolutely shines. Replaying levels for missions and to collect more swag for your avatar (best incentive to replay levels since chao gardens tbh) is a lot of fun and I've had a blast experimenting with wispons to play stages more efficiently. There's a whole lot to do in each level and they play remarkably differently with different wispons.

- Learning to speedrun with the drill is SO FUN (brief bragging: I'm proud to say I started experimenting with techs before discovering that the community had independently reached similar conclusions to me. My 58 seconds Imperial Tower, worldwide 5th best rank when I got it, was 100% my own routing. Since knocked about 10 seconds off with community help.) This is such a fun speedgame to grind with lots of exploitable mechanics. I am super into Sonic speedruns so this is really exciting for me.

- Some of the level design and visual storytelling was hype as **** dude. That one Avatar level with the weird creepy distorted Infinites and gravity and **** reminded me of the gravity level in Adventure 2 except way more actually playable and interesting. Imperial Tower's atmosphere got me so pumped to be the Big Damn Hero and throw a plot stone into the sun. When Fist Bump played during Null Space I just about died from the excitement. There were some EPIC moments in this game that had me legit freaking out because I was SO into it.

- I love the cheesy cinematics, like the jumping-in-front-of-a-train one. They're stupidly over-dramatic and I eat them up, sue me

- I liked that the larger Sonic cast was involved and present and I really liked the radio system that made the plot and levels feel more interconnected. Even if I didn't get to play as them I liked that they felt involved.

Anyway this game scratched a lot of itches that no other installments have in a long ass while. Also, I didn't find the controls as egregious as others do; the game was totally playable and I felt that most deaths were my fault as a player. The game was legitimately fun and engaging to play start to finish, and it has that casual appeal of just dicking around in the fitting room or saving other people's avatars that is incredibly endearing to me.

This is the Sonic game I've personally been waiting for for a long time. Is it the best video game ever? No. But it's the most fun video game for me to play that I've tried out in ages. I really like making dumb OCs with my friends. It has heart imo and I think that aspect is under appreciated.

thereisnospoon

Post by thereisnospoon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm

I always thought Majora's Mask was underappeciated. A lot of people were really not into it, but I just loved the time travel, the masks, the end of the world scenario and that beautiful music, of course. I think I prefer Breath just a little bit more, but MM is no.2, and Ocarina 3.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 pm

^ I feel that and I'm super thankful that MM3DS kind of re-awakened a love and appreciation for that game. It's alongside Twilight Princess as the best Zelda game for me.

(I'm salty at how 3DS changed the bossfights and made them Skyward Sword-y in a very not good way imo, but I LOVE the colors and the fishing and the visuals and almost literally everything else. Zora swimming nerf was unfortunate. But, god, what an amazing game and I'm still so happy we got it.)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Drill Dozer

Look, I'm not gonna sit here and say that Drill Dozer is the best game ever made or anything, but I will sit here and tell you that it may be the best platformer originally released on the GBA. Game Freak stepped outside of their Pokemon-shaped box and made this supremely charming and well-designed game.

The levels all revolve around the mechanic of increasing the gear level of your titular Drill Dozer machine (piloted by Jill Dozer), then using the various Gears to destroy walls and enemies and, eventually, a massive boss at the end of each level. It's fast-paced, it's fun, it's tight, and nobody ever talks about it.

Thankfully, Jill did get a cameo as an Assist Trophy in Smash Bros. Brawl. I hope more people discovered this game after that.

pepsibetsy

Post by pepsibetsy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 am
Mario Sunshine, it sh*ts on the rest.
Seconded, I love Super Mario Sunshineeee
I'm the girl who's kickin' the coke machine
Image pepsibetsy

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:28 pm

I mean Sunshine is absolutely the best 3D Mario game (*disclaimer: I can only definitively state it's better than 64 or Galaxy because I haven't played more than a bit of Odyssey yet, but honestly I love FLUDD and Sunshine so much there's a good chance it'll still be my favorite even with how polished I've heard Odyssey is)

That said I thought it was appreciated? I was under the impression everyone except ML recognized it's a fantastic game. Was that just wishful thinking? Is this another thing people have bad opinions on that I need to get angry on the internet about?????

---------

Sinnoh (DPP Yo) is one of the best regions/gens. Hands down no contest. If ORAS didn't exist it would be tied with vanilla Hoenn as my favorite. The sheer amount of world-livening details in it make it an absolute **** pleasure to play. Going on walks with your Pokémon, dressing them up for photos - IT KEPT THE CONTEST SYSTEM WHICH IS THE BEST PART OF GEN 3 AND MADE IT EVEN MORE EXTRA - badge shining and poketch were little ways to make you feel more immersed as "the trainer"; it's just so fun and alive. Also it has easily the best OST in the series, I love its sound font a lot and the different day/night themes.

Sinnoh feels so alive. Honestly ORAS and Platinum are the only two Pokémon games I turn on when I just want to play something and explore a fun and calming world; I barely ever log into animal crossing because these games fill that space for me.

I still haven't started Pokémon Black which I fully concede has the potential to be up there in the favorites as well, and I've only played the beginning of Moon so that game can absolutely still enamor me, but uh.... ive only played half of Platinum and it's still my #2 right behind ORAS best most favorite Pokémon game.

I love how there are little interactive ways to catch certain Pokémon like Combee and Drifloon. God the world just feels so alive. I love Sinnoh so much. It's amazing. Why does literally everyone who isn't me have such **** opinions

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:35 pm

^That's a fair point about the innovative ways to catch Pokemon in Gen IV and not one I'd put much thought into. (thanks for making me want to play Diamond I have enough RPG madness on my plate)

That said, you should totally play B/W/B2/W2. Particularly, the postgame in both the originals and sequels is really, really strong.

Oh! I have a game I can talk about...played it way too much last fall. Torneko! People apparently didn't like it because it was the first game of its kind, really, but Pokemon Mystery Dungeon uses the exact same engine. I think the difficulty ramp is super fair and the game even tells you YO THIS DUNGEON HARD AF YOU SURE YOU WANNA DO THIS.

Of course, I just love dungeon crawlers in general (been playing Scarab of Ra since before I could even read), so there's that.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:28 pm
That said I thought it was appreciated? I was under the impression everyone except ML recognized it's a fantastic game.
Hold up, I like Sunshine, it’s just not as good as like 16 other Mario games

Edit: correction, 15 other Mario games

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Apollo the Just wrote: That said I thought it was appreciated?
Unfortunately, no. Main complaints seem to be against the tropical theme and that it has some annoying collectibles. The tropical theme is good and they're all wrong.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm

I feel like most people like Sunshine but not as much as others, so if you think it's one of the better Mario games I'd definitely count it as "underappreciated" then.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Marilink wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm
Apollo the Just wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:28 pm
That said I thought it was appreciated? I was under the impression everyone except ML recognized it's a fantastic game.
Hold up, I like Sunshine, it’s just not as good as like 16 other Mario games

Edit: correction, 15 other Mario games
I just... take personal offense to almost every Mario game you've ranked higher than it, is all. Because as we all know my opinion is objectively correct and all other opinions should be judged accordingly.

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 pm

My main complaint with Sunshine is that it was rushed, to its own detriment. Could have been a lot better if they took some more time.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm

i've always heard people didn't like it because of fludd. but maybe that was just the knee-jerk reaction at the time, like wind waker's cutesy graphics got

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Mario literally gets a heckin jetpack I honestly don't see how anyone could think Sunshine is anything less than stellar tbh

--

Twilight Princess is also criminally underrated in my experience. I myself was one of the unfortunate people with garbage opinions who thought it was trying too hard to be dark and edgy. Uh, if by that I meant "successfully has a really incredible tone, aesthetic, and atmosphere, a lush world, and one of the best interpretations of the Lost Woods in Zelda history" then yeah I guess I was right lol. Anyway. TP and MM are my two favorites (followed by OoT because it defined the series for me growing up and I still hold so many aspects of it incredibly dear) and although BotW will surely be up there when I finally play it I don't think it'll dethrone those two. The transformations and what the games do with the idea of masks/different iterations of self - and how you interact with the world in different forms - are super fascinating to me. You can talk to chickens as wolf Link and play fetch with dogs!!! Can't definitively state yet without playing BotW of course but I still have an inkling it'll be #3 tops. Anyway TP is incredible and if memory serves not credited as such

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”