The Best Games of 2017

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

The Best Games of 2017

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 pm

2017 had loads of great games, but everyone knows that no year is complete without announcing your personal favorites in list form. And it goes without saying that, despite being personal opinions, only your list is right and everyone that disagrees is a Soviet sleeper agent trying to ruin games. Upstanding citizens wouldn't choose anything except Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back for GotY, after all.

Seriously, though, it was a ridiculous year. I bolded my Persona 5 review back in May thinking that was it for the GotY race, and then four more games came along and joined it.

10. Night in the Woods - I wish it hadn't gone off the rails at the end, but it's still a remarkably affecting portrayal of life in a "left behind" town.
9. Super Mario Odyssey - The New Donk City festival was one of the highlights of the year, and being a tank is awesome.
8. A Hat in TIme - Almost dead even with SMO. Gave it the edge on the OST and boss fights.
7. Pyre - A strong contender for the most beautiful game ever, but it also has a strong story, great music, and ritual basketball.
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn - Brilliant combat in a stunning and surprisingly creative post-apocalypse. Just wish the side activities were better.
5. Finding Paradise - It's an iterative improvement on To The Moon, sure, but an iterative improvement on a masterpiece is still a masterpiece.
4. What Remains of Edith Finch - Put half a decade of walking simulators to shame in two hours. There's no excuse for sacrificing gameplay now.
3. Persona 5 - I had very high expectations, but it exceeded all of them. It's so much more than the sum of minor improvements on Persona.
2. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - A seven hour game that took seven sittings to finish because it was so unrelentingly emotionally intense that I kept needing breaks. Not perfect, and certainly not for everyone, but definitely unforgettable.
1. NieR: Automata - A game that plays you as much as the other way around. It's best gone into blind, and there's really nothing else remotely like it.

OST of the Year: Tokyo Dark. It might not have standout singles like P5, Pyre, or NieR, but it does an extremely impressive job of conveying the game's uncanny horror atmosphere even in upbeat tracks. Alas, nobody put the OST on Youtube, so have this instead: Pyre

Honorable mention to Yakuza 0, which totally would've made the list, but it's taking me forever to finish and I didn't want to be posting this in March.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd do a disappointment of the year, but I think that's best summed up by saying that, despite finishing it for some godforsaken reason, I've still had to be reminded every few weeks that a new Mass Effect game came out this year. It wasn't very good.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: The Best Games of 2017

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Outside of dabbling in some Nintendo games like BotW & SMO, I've mostly been sticking to some retro games and a couple mobile & fighting games, so I'm unfamiliar with at least half of the games on your list. The ones I am familiar with I haven't played much of or beat, so I can't really comment on your list much, but I'm kinda surprised AHiT ranked above SMO even if only by a bit. It seems cool and it's up against a weaker 3D Mario game but that's still interesting.

I do want to try Tokyo Dark though, I love detective games a lot. Maybe you can post a spoiler-free review some time.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Nier: Automata

That's it. Oh, and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age if a remaster of a 10+ year old game counts for 2017.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 pm

I think my top 5 is:

5.) Metroid: Samus Returns
4.) Hollow Knight
3.) Nier Automata
2.) Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1.) Super Mario Odyssey

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 pm

1. Odyssey
2. BotW
3. Sonic Mania
4. Golf Story
5. Sonic Forces

those are the five games i played. i also got shadow of war for christmas but i haven't touched it yet since i'm still playing through odyssey

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:21 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm
I do want to try Tokyo Dark though, I love detective games a lot. Maybe you can post a spoiler-free review some time.

Got you covered. Second half of that post. The others are in that thread as well.
Note that TD is primarily a horror CYOA - there is a mystery and you're playing a detective, but it isn't trying to challenge your deductive skills.

I am definitely an outlier on HiT. Probably because I'm not usually a fan of 3D platformers and got different things out of it (and SMO, for that matter) than most people. The definitely hit-or-miss humor was mostly a hit for me, too.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 am

1. Metroid: Samus Returns

That's the only game from 2017 I played in its entirety. I played a little bit of Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, but not enough to give them a proper ranking.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 am

^^ Thanks, your reviews are always cool. The lack of detective work isn't off-putting at all, I just like the theme. I'm actually a bit surprised it is a horror game though, but not in a bad way.

The humor of HiT seems strange so I think I can see where you're coming from.

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:49 am

For me personally: Doki Doki Literature Club. Had a ton of impact on my interests and my emotions. I've definitely never been so affected by a game.

Of course: I haven't had any consoles since the Wii and don't have a gaming PC, so I basically don't play modern/mainstream games ever. I don't play too many games at all any more, generally.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am

Games I wish I played: Cuphead, NieR:Automata, Night in the Woods, Pyre, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

10. Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch Port)
This game was a really great diversion, and I still play a match online every now and again. Its main role for me, though, was to be additional software on my brand-new Nintendo Switch, so that I could play my new system but still take the occasional break from BotW. Still, had a lot of fun with it, and I'm glad I downloaded it digitally so I can bust it out when I feel like it.

9. Pokemon Edicion Plata (3DS Port, Spanish Pokemon Silver)
I have no particular love for Gen 2, but I was happy to see them re-release GSC and I wanted to support that with my wallet. I play it when I have a few minutes to spare here and there. It's good, and I'm practicing Spanish when I play it.

8. Rocket League (Switch Port)
Still having a great time playing this, recognizing how ridiculously late I am to the party. I'm very bad, but I still have a lot of fun when I play. I think that's a testament to how good the game is.

7. Golf Story
It hurt me a little bit to put Golf Story this far down the list, considering just how much I enjoyed it. I loved it enough to get a gold medal or better on every single hole in the game. It contains all the best parts of Mario Tennis for GBA, along with being a good (if flawed) 3-press-meter golf game in its own right. And yet, of the exactly 10 games released in 2017 that I played, it's the one I have to put this low. This is really more a testament to how great of a year this was, rather than an indictment on Golf Story which I thought was brilliant.

6. Metroid: Samus Returns
I really enjoyed Samus Returns while I played it. I went for 100% completion and had a good time. But the longer it sat, the more I realized that it didn't have the impact on me that I thought it might. The game was very same-y from beginning to end, with very little difference in pacing and feel. The areas weren't too different, the enemy types weren't varied, and the bosses didn't switch it up until close to the end. I still liked SR quite a lot, and I'll play it again for sure, but especially after re-playing Metroid Fusion I realized that SR wasn't quite as good as I initially felt. But that initial feeling counts for a lot. I would love to see Mercury Steam take another crack at the franchise, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

5. Sonic Mania
I'm one of those guys that would posit the question, "What if Sonic was never actually good?" However, Sonic Mania reminded me that Sonic at its best is very much worth playing. Sonic Mania did the exact right thing: it didn't play exactly like Sonic 1/2/3, but it invoked the feeling of playing Sonic 1/2/3. And it executed perfectly.

4. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
I will count this as its own game, since it is very much an independent campaign in the Shovel Knight universe. I think that this might be the best Shovel Knight campaign yet, even surpassing the first one. Yacht Club is just hitting home runs left and right, and they're pulling out new tricks of mechanics and game design that I'm really digging. Can't wait for King of Cards.

3. SteamWorld Dig: 2
This game was just so tight. An awesome 6-or-so-hour experience, a very smooth progression, an addictive gameplay loop, meaningful power-ups and nonlinear exploration...SWD2 is probably the best "Metroidvania" game released since Ori and the Blind Forest. Honestly, the hookshot mechanic alone makes this game fantastic.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I've really been struggling to decide between BotW and Odyssey, but I've been consistently siding with BotW in second place. This game is fantastic, and I poured over 100 hours into it this year. The DLC was fresh and exciting. I kept coming back to it. I loved exploring the world and seeing what every nook and cranny had to offer. But the reason I think I'm giving it 2nd place is because while this game is fantastic in its own right, to me it more represents a direction of Zelda for the foreseeable future, a paradigm shift similar to Ocarina of Time. I think there's unbound potential for the followup to Breath of the Wild (which I wrote about at length earlier this year) and I'm more excited for that currently-imaginary game than anything else.

1. Super Mario Odyssey
While Breath of the Wild represents a sea change in the Zelda franchise, the reason Odyssey gets the top spot is that I view it more as a pinnacle of everything up to which Mario as a series has been leading. I don't think Breath of the Wild is the perfect 3D Zelda game, but I certainly think that Odyssey is the perfect 3D Mario game. There wasn't a second I spent playing this game where I didn't enjoy it. The whole game is a joy. It's mechanically rich, and those mechanics jibe with the world/level design in such a meaningful way. In the next few weeks I plan on re-starting, perhaps speedrunning it. I'm not willing to say this game is better than Super Mario World...yet. But I may get there. That's how much I love it.

Auron

Post by Auron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Just a quick ranking of the games that I played (which is admittedly not as many as usual this year). I also may be forgetting some that I played. Whoops.

7) Fire Emblem Warriors
As with most Warriors style games, its a pretty enjoyable but decidedly repetitive romp. The story is bad and the roster is a bit too focused on Fates and Awakening, but its still a good stress relief when all you want to do is beat things to a pulp.

6) NieR: Automata
The gameplay was nice and varied, the controls were tight, and I played it non-stop until I finished it (all of the main 4 endings). So why is it so low? The story left a pretty sour taste in my mouth after it was all said and done. People liked it because it was different, some people called it artistic, but I just didn't feel good about it. Someone told me before I went into the game that it would make me hate my life. I thought they were kidding. They were not.

5) Super Mario Odyssey
I am going to disagree slightly with Marilink on this one. While I thoroughly enjoyed this game, it never really felt to me like they reached a height they never had before with this one. Aside from New Donk City, which I thought was an amazing stage and radically different than everything that's been in Mario to this point, the game never quite matched the feeling I got from playing Super Mario galaxy for the first time. Now don't get me wrong here, I thought it was fantastic, but I can't say it was better to me than Super Mario Galaxy 2.

4) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
I loved the original Shovel Knight. Plague of Shadows was really good, but it also felt to me like it had a level of artificial difficulty by making Plague Knight harder to use in maps mostly designed for Shovel knight. Spector of Torment fixes that by redesigning each and every level from the ground up to suit Specter Knight's play style. The way he controls is just so silky smooth and god damn satisfying. And they redone soundtrack breaths new life into one of my favorite video game scores of all time.

3) Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
So it's an expansion for a game that is (at the time of Stormblood's release) 4 years old. Its also the game I put the most time into this past year so I'm going to count it. As far as MMO's go, FFXIV's story and presentation is still second to none. And I will buy every damn soundtrack this game ever releases.

2) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
This game single handedly reignited my love for this series. It was admittedly starting to dwindle a little bit, partially due to me not liking the control scheme of Skyward Sword and partially due to the lack of any new console games in this series since, well, Skyward Sword. But not only did Nintendo decide to reinvent the wheel, they just decided that they don't even need roads. Nothing quite beats the feeling of wandering off of the beaten path and discovering things that make you feel like you are the only person to ever discover them. Wandering around the frozen plains of Hebra at night only for the weather to clear and give a full view of Northern Lights you never knew existed has no impact on the game, but it gave the world one moment of true awe in a game with many. I have not got to the DLC yet, but I have no doubt that I will at some point. This is probably closer to a 1b than a 2 on this list, but I'm docking half a point for the music being the one lackluster part of the game. Outside of small references to past games, such as the Dragon Roost Island theme in the Rito village, there were very, very few themes that I can recall even hearing. For a series with such an outstanding history of music, it was definitely a surprise to have such an incredibly subtle and often times forgettable score.

1) Persona 5
This was the first new game of 2017 that I played, and man was it a good one. Surprisingly (even to me), when I looked back at my play times for each of these games before I came up with my list, this was the one that had the most hours played (outside of FFXIV). Its also the game from this past year that I find myself thinking about most often. The story starts off hitting hard, and going after subject matter that is almost entirely unheard of in a game, and it doesn't ever really let up from there. Being the fifth iteration of the Persona series, the gameplay is superbly polished at this point. The turn based combat system has always been a favorite of mine, and its probably about as good as its going to get here. Gone (kind of) are the drab and boring random dungeons of the last two games, replaced by fully designed and completely unique dungeons. The cast of characters are also top notch, giving Persona 4's crew some good competition for best characters in the series. I also give the soundtrack really high grade. I find myself listening to from time to time even when not playing the game. The only better one this year was the aforementioned Stormblood soundtrack (yes, I even liked it better than Specter of Torment's). All that being said, this is my game of the year.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:42 pm

I played three games that came out this past year (namely, 'A Hat in Time', 'Super Lucky's Tale' and 'Cuphead'). I thought they were good.
boo------------------------------he can cause a riot in sunday school

SmackDownPete

Post by SmackDownPete » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 pm

1. Nioh
2. Sonic Mania
3. For Honor
4. Everspace

That's all the best games that I played that came out in 2017. I still need to get around to playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:58 am

'Cuphead' is ridiculously fun in couch co-op, by the way. Like, if you've got a friend and a sense of humour, that's a good afternoon, right there.
boo------------------------------he can cause a riot in sunday school

GamerMom

Post by GamerMom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am

1. Mario Odyssey
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Zelda

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am

5. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (inferior iteration to the previous release but still very serviceable)
4. Pokemon Duel (i hate this game but i am addicted and i guess it is fun)
3. Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (inferior to Yoshi's Island but better than the rest in the series)
2. Batman: The Telltale Series (it is TellTale, it has to be good)
1. The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - A New Frontier (it is TWD and TT, it can't go wrong)

Street Fighter and Woolly World are technically ports of older games but they're different enough to warrant inclusion here, imo. And TWD released its first episode in 2016 so it may also technically not count.

thereisnospoon

Post by thereisnospoon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Probably the same as most people but this is my top 5 of 2017:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Destiny 2
4. Dirt 4
5. Nier

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Game of the Year: Sonic Forces

OST of the Year: also Sonic Forces

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Top game is going to be Persona 5. It's just dripping with personality and charm, it really optimizes all the mechanics from previous games, and introduces some great new stuff. I'm glad that the dungeons weren't randomly-generated this time around, it gives them so much more personality, too. Tokyo felt like a delight to explore, and all the characters and their struggles were interesting and engaging. Including the main character! He's so dry I love it, especially compared to the blank slates that Makoto and Yu were. Definitely my favorite game this year.

Runner up is gonna be Super Mario Odyssey. Another game dripping with style and charm, that captures the core of what you expect from a 3D Mario game. The collect-a-thon style works a lot better with 3D Mario, it cuts out all of the lengthy leaving and re-entering of stages and brings back the open-ness that has been missing since Galaxy, and arguably Sunshine. Coins finally matter beyond collecting lives, everything feels fun and fluid and fresh. You can tell that the Switch was made specifically for Odyssey - and yes, really, the Switch was designed specifically with Mario Odyssey in mind.

Number 3 is HALO 3 IN 4K, THE ONLY GOOD VIDEO GAME SINCE 2007

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:47 am

The best thing I played last year that actually came out last year is Fire Emblem Heroes. No, I haven't been keeping up with new titles, but Heroes really is that good a game.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”