If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Games you surprisingly got into

Moderator: X-3

Sim Kid

Games you surprisingly got into

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 am

What are some games that were kind of "Sleeper hits" for you, or games you initially didn't like but warmed up to?

For me, Warframe was one of them. I'm generally not a fan of games that do a poor job of explaining themselves - it often makes me feel overwhelmed, like if you listened to a Senior-level class and they toss all sorts of jargon and stuff at you or you try to do their assignments and think "...What do you even want me to DO?!" And let's just say... Warframe does a HORRIBLE job of explaining itself. It's gotten better, but even then, if you picked up the game it's very VERY easy to get lost or overwhelmed with mechanics the tutorial doesn't explain. And I especially get annoyed at RNG.

Yet the game has had me logging on for daily rewards and I flat out WANT to get the frames and even the primes.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Games you surprisingly got into

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm

I liked Angry Birds a lot more than I thought I would. It's not a deep game by any means, but still a fun little puzzle you can play for ten to fifteen minutes at a time.

Jere

Post by Jere » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Spintires, getting lumber through point A to B through a swamp proved to be more entertaning than it have any right to be

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 pm

I bought Dark Souls as a filler game before Skyward Sword and ended up enjoying it a lot more.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

I had never played Harvest Moon or anything like it, so I was really shocked with how much I absolutely ate up Stardew Valley. I poured a LOT of time into that game (Thanks Ian), and I might be purchasing it for the Switch when I have the opportunity.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

^Had a similar experience with Rune Factory 4, which I played after hating several of the Harvest Moon games.

Overwatch: Only played it all because of the free beta week. Now it's only behind the last three Elder Scrolls games and osu! in terms of playtime.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun: Played the demo for 10 minutes and didn't get it. Bought it because of all the praise expecting to refund, and ended up getting far and away my favorite stealth game.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 pm

...I bought 'Defiance' on a lark because it was on the cheap. It just looked like some generic sci-fi shooter----------if they'd advertised it as the MMO version of 'Borderlands' it turned out to be, I'd have snapped it up far earlier on.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Earthbound. I hate turn-based combat and I thought that would be enough to turn me off of it; plus the first time I tried playing it I got a couple hours in and then kind of got distracted by other stuff. I figured I'd never actually get around to finishing it and that it was probably a solid game but not anything I could get super into.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA I was wrong

(Also calling Earthbound's battle system purely turn based is a huge disservice to it)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am

^Do you really hate turn-based combat, though? Because you love Pokemon and the Mother series...

Edit: and Persona...and Paper Mario...

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 pm

I got really into Terraria for a little while. I usually hate open-ended crafting based games (namely, Minecraft), so this took me by surprise. Less surprising is the fact that I lost interest after about a week and haven't played it since.

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm still not really sure why or how I ended up getting into Surgeon Simulator.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Bayonetta 2. It kind of just looked like some hyper violent, over sexualized, teenage boy fantasy crap, but I actually really enjoy it. I mean, it is still hyper violent and over sexualized...
Marilink wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm
I had never played Harvest Moon or anything like it, so I was really shocked with how much I absolutely ate up Stardew Valley. I poured a LOT of time into that game (Thanks Ian), and I might be purchasing it for the Switch when I have the opportunity.
Oh my god I **** love Stardew Valley. I'm so hopelessly addicted to it right now.

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Minecraft. It looked like some BORRRRING building game to me. Then I played it. It was surprisingly fun for a while.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Bomby wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:03 pm
Bayonetta 2. It kind of just looked like some hyper violent, over sexualized, teenage boy fantasy crap, but I actually really enjoy it. I mean, it is still hyper violent and over sexualized...
Marilink wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Oh my god I **** love Stardew Valley. I'm so hopelessly addicted to it right now.
I've seen you hop on that Stardew Valley probably as often as you've seen me hop on that Mario Odyssey

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

I bought Terraria because I saw it on YouTube and it looked good when the developer or whoever it was played it. Then I tried playing it, and it was not at all interesting or like what I saw.

I remember really enjoying the SNES Harvest Moon. I still like the farming genre, but most of that is heavy on the clicking. I'm not sure I have played another Harvest Moon since, though. I do have one on Gamecube (two, but GameStop sells dud games) and one on PSN. Stardew Valley is the first game similar to what I remember of that. I was really into that for about 60 hours and then lost interest, but that's a nice amount of play time.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 am

Marilink wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am
^Do you really hate turn-based combat, though? Because you love Pokemon and the Mother series...

Edit: and Persona...and Paper Mario...
I like turn-based combat with realtime elements, and before getting into Earthbound I had no idea how much that would factor in. MOTHER and Paper Mario are prime examples of what I do most definitely like

and if I'm being honest Pokemon battles are legit my least favorite thing about pokemon. I just spam strong attacks with over leveled pokemon to win; I like exploring and catching and raising pokemon and taking down bad guys/rivals narratively way more than I derive enjoyment from its battle system.

(You've got me on Persona tho. Music too good can't hate)

Anyway realtime >>>> turn based is what I'm saying #DEMONFANG

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am

I get what you're saying. What other turn-based games do you have experience with that turned you off from the style?

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 pm

For the sake of posting something here, I will admit that this was the case with The Plutonia Experiment. Mostly because until that point I was sort of disappointed in Doom 2's level designs and TNT Evilution was even worse that that. Plutonia Experiment, meanwhile, has great levels and while they are extremely challenging, it's not impossible to overcome if you're careful. It helped me see how good the changes were to Doom 2 and I ended up loving the games all the more for this.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”