If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Video game cliches you like/dislike.

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

Video game cliches you like/dislike.

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:25 am

Because there's a thread for this for movies and television but not for video games (at least not that I can remember).

I love it when a song/track from the game's beginning makes a triumphant return during the climax. Some choice examples are "Simon's Theme" from Castlevania IV (plays during the first level and during the second half of the final battle), "The Red Wings" from Final Fantasy IV (plays during the opening sequence and in the first part of the final dungeon), and "Enter the Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy (plays in the opening galaxy as and during the cutscene leading to the final one).

X-3

Re: Video game cliches you like/dislike.

Post by X-3 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

I hate it when you're sent through a dungeon for an important plot item to keep it out of the bad guy's hands. Then when you get to the very end it turns out the bad guy beat you to the punch and he peaces out with the item. I guess there's always next time?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:14 am

The heroes beat the bad guy to the doomsday device, and now the world is saved as long as they don't give it up! But what's this? One party member, who is probably the player character's love interest, has either wandered off on their own or lagged behind the group, and now they've been comically easily captured! The hostage taker is, of course, either the main villain or their recently omniscient-cutscene-narrator-introduced bounty hunter henchman, has appeared from nowhere despite not having any way of knowing where you were, and they're going to kill that party member unless you give them the device! Despite the fact that doing so has the potential to kill literally everyone, the hero hands over the device, and the decision to possibly sacrifice the entire world in order to possibly save one life is presented as somehow honorable.

Also, since I had a post in the other thread that was really entirely about games, I'll quote it in spoilers here:
Spoiler.
1. One girl is super feminine and either cares greatly about the appearance of her chest or has an impossible amount of her body weight situated there. Another girl is either actively masculine/androgynous or at least much less feminine, and she appears to be somewhere between average and the first percentile in that same trait. Cue a medical examination for literally no reason, and the girls compare their measurements for even less reason. Jeepers! That second girl must secretly possess the strongest spine of any human ever! How embarrassing for the first girl! (Persona 4 and Devil Survivor 2, Atlus)

2. Somewhere between 40 and 60% of the way through the story, our heroes decide to visit a hot spring, which may or may not have conveniently appeared in an otherwise western world! They'll go in by gender, and the women's conversation will be almost entirely a comparison of mammary endowment. The pervy male character will suggest spying on them regardless of whether or not that happens. One group or another will overstay their time, resulting in both being in the spring at the same time, and the women will be really angry even if it was their fault! They may even summon an implausible amount of household objects to throw! (Persona 3 and 4, and you even slightly rewrote it for P3P female)

3. One of the main female characters can't cook, and we'll be reminded of that every 5 minutes. I'm not putting any more thought into this description, because that's as far as the writers ever go. (Letting you off for this one, Atlus, because for ****'s sake, Namco Bandai. Must this be in every Tales game? Sometimes more than once?) (but seriously, Atlus, you did this in Persona 4 three times. In one game!)

4. Ladder = "don't. look. up." (P3 within the first hour)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:31 am

Amnesia is a pretty easy device, and some might call it lazy. But overall, I don't mind it. It's nice to have a character who is learning all the information at the same pace that you are. And then you have the added bonus of incrementally finding out that character's story, as well.

Overuse of amnesia as a storytelling device can be really bad, and usually if it's used once it can't be used again. But generally, I think it's fine.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:04 pm

-A character who has a lot of their character development explored in optional conversations that're easily missable, while everyone else's is basically tied into the main plot in some way. Or they have all their stuff done relatively early and later on are all along for the ride, like Beast in Divinity: Original Sin 2 or half the cast in Xenogears. (If I showed you a picture of Maria or Billy, I wouldn't be surprised if you were like "...who?")

-In order to be more familiar with our audience, expect the characters in an otherwise western society to somehow be familiar with things like curry or bento boxes. This is the same reason all our medieval stuff has potatoes and tomatoes! And we can't always change the script cause sometimes it's obvious they're eating rice balls and yeah, this isn't like Fire Emblem: Awakening where the items aren't shown so we can change all our bento boxes to pies. :P

-I like when staves are treated as a practical weapon and not "A stat stick".

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm

^Don't disagree with what you're saying on either of those, but...
like Beast in Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spoiler.
Huh? His questline doesn't get resolved until the sewers in the last area of the game, and it still has relevance to the main plot at that point. There's definitely not much for him on the Nameless Isle or some of the other areas around that time, but I wouldn't say he's just along for the ride until the very end, and basically everyone is at that point.
To be positive for a bit:

- I've always had a soft spot for the "don't give up! everyone is counting on you!" final boss intervention, especially when the content reflects the player's choices, like in several Persona games. It helps that this is usually followed by the player character becoming stupidly overpowered. Okami also did it well.

- I love me an out-of-nowhere murder mystery as seen in Skyrim or A Hat in Time. The only time it wasn't great was in Borderlands 2 which, despite having played it at least four times, I still haven't found any way of solving besides dumb luck.

- RPG heroes finding time to take a break from saving the world in order to fish, play spherical water polo, invent new card games, snowboard, or, especially, have a sudden rhythm game interlude. I might not go out of my way to see any other optional content, but if your stupid RPG mini game is remotely competent, you better believe I'm getting 100% in that.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Another one I really like: weapons/armors have skills/abilities attached to them, and by using them enough your character can permanently learn those skills/abilities. (ie: FFTA)

Oh, and I love it when lyrics kick in mid-boss. Cheesy but I can't knock it.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm
Spoiler.
Huh? His questline doesn't get resolved until the sewers in the last area of the game, and it still has relevance to the main plot at that point. There's definitely not much for him on the Nameless Isle or some of the other areas around that time, but I wouldn't say he's just along for the ride until the very end, and basically everyone is at that point.
Spoiler.
See, that's actually why I said Beast feels "along for the ride" at times - he resolves needs in Reaper's Coast within the first couple hours, while everyone else is getting leads, and he doesn't seem to have as many people who know him once all that is said and done. Meanwhile the Red Prince is getting assassins coming after him and having to find multiple dreamers at nearly every step of the journey, Lohse has the demon periodically come out, Sebille finds out there's more to her than just "I must kill the Shadow Prince" and her goal even overlaps with the Red Prince's to an extent, Fane of course reveals how important he was to the lore, and Ifan runs into people who know him. As much as I love the game, I feel Beast's plotline wasn't... that important too much aside from "oh yeah Isbeil is manipulating Justinia on the God King's Orders", partly cause of how off-screen the Dwarven Kingdom is, and the fact that act four in general is... where the game slows down.

-One thing I like is when the game characters act "self-aware" - I don't mean "looking towards the screen and going wink wink nudge nudge", I mean like where they point out the game world's logic, or sometimes even say what the player is thinking. Such as how, in Thimbleweed Park, there comes the game's obvious twist and it gives you the option for the characters to point out that they've been breaking the fourth-wall the entire time for no apparent reason, how that one shopkeeper panics and then calmly asks Squall "So what will it be?" in Final Fantasy 8, the characters in Dragon Quest VII seem to know about how "Class changing" works, or how at the end of Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spoiler.
When the cloaked figure reveals himself to be Braccus Rex and tries to play it off dramatically, you can say "This explains nothing."

It's a pretty minor form of gameplay and story integration - sure not something that makes sense in real life, but good for some comical purposes.

It's also a nice touch when some things actually make sense too in this same way - like the strange bizarre patterns of the characters in Link's Awakening or the bizarre Uncanny Valley-like appearance of the models of the characters in Star Ocean 3.

One cliche I do like is when the characters in an RPG banter about really petty/inane things. Like how in some tales games, the character skits appear based upon some things you did in the game (ie, cooking sorbet in an ice floe makes the characters complain about how cold they are in Tales of Vesperia), or zevran in Dragon Age randomly hitting on people.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 am

I get a little annoyed when characters actually talk about how to play the game.

"Snake, perform CQC by pressing O"

"Great. How do I crouch?"

"To crouch, hold--"

And it goes on for like an hour.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am

X-3 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 pm
Oh, and I love it when lyrics kick in mid-boss. Cheesy but I can't knock it.
oh i know what you mean

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 am

Long boring tutorials. God why. Also time travel because it never **** works without at least one or two huge plot holes (LOOKING AT YOU FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING).

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 am

When the lyrics to the BGM narrate what a character (usually silent protagonist but not always) is thinking/feeling. Best most cheesiest thing ever.

Notable examples:

- all of the Avatar stages in Sonic Forces
- all of Knuckles's stages in Sonic Adventure 2
- lots of location themes in Persona 3&4, although this veers more toward "mood setting" than narrating a specific character's POV in many cases. Still good, and some are def meant to inform the MC's perspective
- ....I'm starting to suspect it's mostly just Sonic games that do this bc I'm drawing a total blank otherwise but it's still A+ 10/10 good cliche would recommend to friends

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”