If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

S O N I C F O R C E S

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

Re: S O N I C F O R C E S

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 am

Your perspective is valid but wrong.

~~~

Okay so I've put a lot of thought into why Forces appealed so much to me but not the rest of the internet and I think it's largely due to me growing up loving certain things about the Adventure games, which have always been my favorites.

My Priorities: I like varying play styles, I like new characters, I like compelling reasons to sink hours upon hours into postgame, I like opportunities to mindlessly dick around... and that's why Forces is the first game I've legitimately loved since Adventure 2 (and its relative polish, especially in visuals, audio, and presentation - as well as the Avatar which is my new favorite thing - boost it to number 1).

I feel like my personal priorities in Sonic are the reason I loved Forces so much, and I wonder if (at least part of) the reason a lot of people disliked it is because they're looking for different things than I am in a Sonic game?

I don't care for Sonic games where you only play as Sonic; I don't care for Sonic games where the gameplay is "perfect" or whatever but there's no variety; I don't care for Sonic games that run out of reasons to play them once you beat the final boss. I grew up with the Adventures and they defined my priorities in playing a Sonic game, and Forces is the first installment to deliver on specifically what I grew up loving and now want more of. The Avatar is such a fun, creative, and endearing answer to what I've been yearning for.

That's why it's my new favorite. Finally dethroned Adventure 1. I beat it and it hasn't gotten colder for me since finishing; it's gotten BETTER because there's so much incentive to keep playing, experimenting with wispons, and gathering swag for my OC. I can spend ages just dressing up my dude. I love that aspect of being able to idly mess around between bouts of going fast... I'll be on this one for a while, folks. My dreams have been answered and I'm in love.

I personally don't have as much fun with """objectively good""" Sonic games that are just Sonic going fast and nothing outside of that. That may be what the series was founded on but it's not what *I* fell in love with, and Forces is finally giving me what I want and haven't had in ages.

(Also I found the controls fine and the levels fun as hell, but that's another discussion I think.)

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:38 am

Started watching an LP of this. Looked neat! (I lowkey loooooveeee that they have NiGHTS stuff you can dress your avatar in)

"This game is better than Sonic." -Squeege, 2017
"This game's canon???" -me, 2017
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 am

So after religiously playing this game every day since release and grinding missions and S ranks for gear I think Birb OC has reached his final form. Behold the peak of edge and anime:

....time to work on Bear OC now???

~~~

Also one thing I haven't mentioned is how good the visual storytelling and general sense of story-stage connectedness is in this game (esp. on Avatar's stages). Imperial Fortress is one of the most pure, cheesy-but-legit-hype-af moments in the series. All the peeps on the radio are like "NO...IT'S TOO DANGEROUS..." but OC donut steel drives onward and then they start cheering you on as you take on the fate of the world in the most puts-a-stupid-grin-on-your-face Big Damn Hero moment ever. Also the BGM for that level is so good. "THE SUN IS FALLING FROM THE SKY BEYOND... THE LIGHT IS FADING FROM OUR WORLD... NOW'S THE TIME OF RECKONING.... THE FINAL BATTLE HAS BEGUN"

It's so g o o d (I grinded it yesterday with Drill wispon and got 8th ranked, very proud of that)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 am

So I've been having a lot of fun with Forces's postgame (holy crap some of the timed missions are difficult). After unlocking a lot more swag and being incentivized to work on OC's of all the different animal types, I have wasted countless hours in the Dressing Room... behold the fruits of my labor:

This is such a good game you guys I've already sunk like 60 hours into it lmao

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”