If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

VGF Speedrun Challenge: Mega Man X any%

Moderator: X-3

DarkZero
Supporter

Re: VGF Speedrun Challenge?

Post by DarkZero » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:03 pm

i'd vote sm64 but i JUST got through with a 100% run a few days ago

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:02 pm

So you're FRESH

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 pm

yeah FRESH outta patience

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm

WEll then vote MMX and let's get it on

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 am

@Jere @Apollo the Just , y'all want to break the tie? If not, I'll post a tiebreaker poll tomorrow.

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Valigarmander wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 pm
I've yet to try out that particular randomizer, so I'd be interested.
Say, what do you mean that particular randomizer? This is the first time I hear of randomizers of any kind, you're telling me there's more than one?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 pm

There's tons of them. Here's an incomplete list.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 pm

All right, let's break the tie.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14027077

For the record, I think MMX should be any% and Super Mario 64 would be 70-star. Unless people would rather do 100%/120-star.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 pm

MMX 100% would probably end up being faster for most people but I guess either works. LttP can be Master Sword Pedestal or Ganon.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:06 am

^I'd personally rather do 100%, but I already know the game extremely well. The learning curve might be too steep for someone who's less familiar with it.

So, 5 votes are in, and MMX is winning 3-2. I think that's the winner, my dudes.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:02 pm

in that case I'd prefer any% since I barely know the game at all x)
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Same here, that's a game I've never played before.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Unless anyone else has anything to say about it, I say let's do MMX any%, and then when this challenge is over, we can do some Mario 64. Yeah?

Shall we make a new thread?

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Let's consider this thread new.

X-3

Re: VGF Speedrun Challenge: Mega Man X any%

Post by X-3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 pm

This thread works.

MEGA MAN X ANY%: beat the game as fast as you can. Bonus pick-up items are optional but very helpful.

TIME STARTS: When you select 'Game Start'.
TIME ENDS: As soon Wolf-Sigma runs out of health.

SCOUT'S HONOR: If you use a platform capable of save states, you will not use them to correct mistakes or to cut corners.

BREAKS: This is kind of a casual thing so you can probably just leave the game and timer paused if you need to take a quick break. If you need to take a lengthy break, pause the timer (or record your current time) and write down your password! When you boot up the game next, time will resume when you've successfully entered your password. (this may be one of those games that remembers your last password for you, not entirely sure) If you beat the game in a single sitting, flex.

DRESS CODE: Blue shirt required. When you get the Dash, you must put on white socks. If you choose to collect the body armor upgrade, you must put on a white sweater. No wearing red, purple or green.

FAITH: Believing in yourself is illegal.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Hey, sweet. Works for me.

Hoping to do my first run tomorrow. I'll be playing on the Gamecube X collection, which gives y'all an advantage--every end-of-level has a save and load screen that'll cost me like a good 30 seconds over the course of the run.

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Oh, goodness. This won't take me less than five hours.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:27 am

All right, since a few of us are gonna be diving into this game for the first time ever, I'm gonna give a few tips and tricks to give us all a jump-start.

MMX Starter Guide and Speedrun Intro

Mega Man X is one of the most popular speedgames on the scene, and for good reason. Its movement is crisp, its levels are fast-paced and well-designed, the collectibles aren't overwhelming, and it's a beloved game from many people's childhoods. This is one of those games that a huge number of people say "it never gets old," which is good for speedrunning.

If you're familiar with Mega Man games in general, you'll be familiar with the famous "jump 'n' shoot" gameplay. MMX adds two large mechanical changes: wall climbing and dashing. Both are very easy to perform, and very necessary. To wall climb, just keep jumping at a wall. You'll notice that when X gets close to a wall, he'll slide down. No need to wait for this animation to wall climb--you can wall jump as soon as you are in range of a wall (and even a few frames before). Dashing is as easy as pressing the Dash button. You can also combine dashing and wall jumping by pressing both the jump and dash buttons at the same time while on a wall. This is crucial to speedrunning.

The boss weakness order is this:
Chill Penguin > Spark Mandrill > Armored Armadillo > Launch Octopus > Boomer Kuwanger > Sting Chameleon > Storm Eagle > Flame Mammoth > Chill Penguin

For speedrunning, it's basically necessary that you enter Chill Penguin first. You'll notice that you don't start out with the Dash; it is an upgrade found in Chill Penguin's stage. You want to go here first. After that, it's up to you.

I'd also recommend going into the Options menu to change Dash to either L or R. Dash on X makes it hard to Dash and Shoot in tandem, which is very very important. Dashing and shooting increases the power of your basic X Buster--a dash "lemon" (uncharged buster shot) is as powerful as a green charge shot. This includes dash > jump > lemon--as long as you have dash speed, your lemons are more powerful.

In the options screen, you'll also notice that there are dedicated buttons to change weapons without going into the pause menu. This should be your primary method of changing weapons. You'll rarely enter the Pause menu at all.

I think that's all I have for now. Don't be afraid to use weapons in the middle of levels, and don't be afraid to go watch some speedruns of MMX from GDQ's or on speedrun.com. Share your progress here and we'll work together to get our times down!

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 pm

I will be playing on SNES9x. As I have never beaten the game, my use of save states will be to allow me to practice individual stages, and will not be considered an official speedrun time. (in other words, segment run or bust, baby!)

re: Dress Code: oops, it's Purple Friday today! Guess it's a good thing I'm starting with casual segment :lol:

Thanks for the pointers, ML! I'd like to say I'll get started today, but I kinda doubt I'll have time. Maybe tomorrow... (I also still need to start my game for Gentleman's Challenge!)
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm

i'll probably be playing on wii virtual console. i have the anniversary collection on ps2 but who wants to drag that thing out of the closet

also i've only beat mmx one time many years ago so uh, i don't like my chances

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”