If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

the This Game Never Got The Sequel It Deserved And I'm Fixing It thread

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

the This Game Never Got The Sequel It Deserved And I'm Fixing It thread

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 am

Have some strong opinions about how a video game totally deserved a sequel it never got, or how the one it did get ruined everything about it forever?

ME TOO!!1

Here's how Tales of Symphonia 2 should have been if they wanted it to be a good video game with any resemblance to the thematic or story content in the original whatsoever:

[spoiler= very very very long and spoilers]Main cast on the United World:
  • Lloyd. The character who is also the player's avatar to a certain extent and who has another journey he's dedicated to, alongside a trusted friend.
  • Noishe. Noishe is a protozoan who has finally evolved into his ultimate humanoid form as a being who fights evil (this was explicitly stated as canon in ToS). He has gained human consciousness and becomes a full-fledged member of the party, having vowed to overcome his fear of monsters and aid Lloyd now that his friend of millennia - Kratos - is gone.
  • Choose 1 party member from ToS. The narrative will assume that this is the person whose ending you did in ToS vanilla, which means they are the person who promised to accompany Lloyd on his journey post-game.
  • 1 other returning party member, decided based on who you chose. Genis and Raine are always paired together resulting in a narrative focus on half-elves, Zelos and Sheena are always paired together resulting in a narrative focus on Tethe'alla's new political state, and Regal and Presea are always paired together resulting in a narrative focus on the victims of exspheres.
  • Colette joins you no matter what, rounding it out to 5 party members. If you chose her ending the focus is on her and the transformations caused by Cruxis Crystals, and the game automatically chooses Genis and Raine to finish out the party.
  • Note: if at the beginning when you pick whose route you want to go for, you choose a secret option (either "none of the above" or a silhouette or an unlockable or Noishe or smth) the game assumes you are following Kratos's ending from the last game instead. He obviously can't join your party, but this changes your party designation to Colette/Genis/Raine, like Colette's route, but resulting in different interactions that involve Lloyd reminiscing with Noishe about Kratos. Also Zelos is dead RIP. This is kind of Noishe's route for the purposes of this game.
Main cast on the New World:
  • Kratos. He is the remaining leader of Cruxis trying to rebuild and heal with the surviving Desians who escaped with him on Derris-Kharlan.
  • Yuan. Rather, there is a form of long-distance communication (first developed on Derris-Kharlan) that allows Cruxis Crystal users to transmit their consciousness through a magitechnology system and observe/ communicate on the other end. Yuan feels it his duty to remain in the United World as a Renegade but also to aid Kratos as a Seraph, so he uses it at first just to speak with Kratos, but when the need arises he transmits himself into a droid body on Derris-Kharlan prepared by the system and effectively joins the party
  • CATHERINE, a humanoid doll manufactured by Cruxis to accept Martel's soul; the prototype to TABATHA. She was scrapped because her movement was deemed by Mithos too machinelike/inelegant to host his sister, but Altessa managed to save her from being torn apart and repurposed by claiming he would re-use parts for TABATHA; instead he hid her away in a storage room in the Dwarves' work chambers where Mithos would never bother to go in person. She ended up mistakenly transported to Derris-Kharlan along with a shipment from the dwarves, and stowed away hidden on Derris-Kharlan for decades before being rediscovered during Kratos's rebuilding of a New World there. (Yuan has a difficult time interacting with her due to her physical resemblance to Martel.)
  • Low-ranking previous Desian very disillusioned due to the deaths of their allies and collapse of their plans. Worked under Forcystus on Sylvarant. Still holds deep resentment toward humans and elves, initially representing a Desian rebellion against Kratos's new leadership for betraying Mithos and his ideals. Duels Kratos one-on-one and, once defeated, is offered a position by Kratos's side to help him lead this new world specifically for the remnants of Desians and Cruxis. Begrudgingly accepts because there is nothing they can do with their strength to fight Kratos, but vows to never forget what they endured as half-elves in the world they left behind.
Overarching story:

Lloyd goes on a journey to collect exspheres around the world. Colette acts as a religious ambassador calming the panic ensuing from the fall of Cruxis and the church and spreading faith in the goddess and the tree she bestowed on the world, Yggdrasill. Genis/Raine work to repair human-half-elf relations and have significant plot events in Exire and Heimdall; Zelos/Sheena work to address political unrest between Sylvarant / Tethe'alla and have significant plot events in Mizuho and Meltokio; Regal/Presea work to aid people whose lives were ruined by exspheres and have significant plot events in Sybak and Palmacosta.

Meanwhile, Kratos attempts to rebuild what little remains of Cruxis on the decaying crypt that was once a thriving civilization on Derris-Kharlan and lead them in a truer sense than the brainwashing methods of Cruxis. Works with Yuan who is able to act alongside him using magitechnology to remotely pilot a humanoid battle vessel, an abandoned doll as a rejected body for Martel, and a previously lowly Desian-now-leader of rebellion who refuses to give up Mithos's ideals until they're defeated by Kratos and offered mercy and an opportunity for their voice to be heard.

On the United World, people are reluctant to give up exspheres because they feel half-elves have whisked away all of their magitechnology and stolen it to themselves in a final act of anti-human hatred. Human-half-elf tensions are not easily appeased. Many half-elves find themselves wishing they were on the far-off haven with Cruxis' remnants, even if it is on a sad, lonely, ancient comet somewhere far off in the sky. Human society is in a crisis attempting to organize itself in a new world. Everyone, human to half elf, feels robbed of opportunity of choice in the matter of this new world and curses the false deity they had worshipped.

On the New World, what remains of the Desians and Cruxis do not easily bow to a man who led them for millennia only to betray their leader at the last second and reveal his status as a lowly human. They feel trapped and exiled. Rebellions form... Kratos and Yuan easily crush them, but refuse to kill anyone because enough blood has already been shed.

Over the course of the game, communication between the United and New Worlds is established via the Renegades such that Lloyd and Kratos are able to reconnect. A solution emerges: a dual-society, one established by Half-Elves on the homeland of their blood, one established by Humans on their homeland, between which people can move freely and - most importantly - by their own choice.

Humans are scared; reconnecting Cruxis, who attempted to enslave humanity, to the United world? Cruxis is also frightened; fearing that with their loss of power they will be executed by the humans for their crimes. The New Church of Martel arises thanks to Colette, as representative of a pact with Martel, protector of the Yggdrasill tree, that promises the connection between these worlds will be guaranteed for as long as there is good will between them, and it shall sever just as assuredly - and with finality - if these relations ever turn hostile.

Narratively that all works out but gotta have gameplay right??? I'm sure there would be antagonist characters from "opposing" groups, and the final boss could even be Martel herself testing the will of those who would seek such a powerful pact, versus a party you choose out of fighters from both worlds united on this cause.[/spoiler]

YOUR TURN
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah, it's a shame they never made a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Here's a cool guide on how to make a sequel:

Chrono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, Robo, Ayla, and Glen are playable.

Cool combination techniques, with live-battle party member switching!

A story that involves voluntary time travel and honors its heroes and explores new points in time, including the unseen future without Lavos.

Non-linear time periods! Travel backwards or forwards, coordinate efforts with yourself to solve puzzles!

Nothing else. That's it. Make it work largely the same and make it actually use the award-winning design elements of the first game. ****'s sake.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:22 am

How to make a new Paper Mario game I will buy and love guaranteed no questions asked:

- Turn based battle system with action commands

- chain chomp partner

that's literally it boom profit

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 am

^^I never want to play Chrono Cross, because I know I'll hate it. However...the music in that game, man. The music. So good.

^I've resigned myself to the fact that we will never again see a turn-based Paper Mario game. Nintendo just doesn't understand what the fans have been asking for. And I say this as someone who likes SPM and Sticker Star.

Anyway, for my answer. Yoshi's Story is a terrible game that killed 2D platformers for quite a while.It was so disappointing to play after loving Yoshi's Island so much. It gave Yoshi a really dumb voice that hasn't gone away since. It started the unfortunate tradition of having major songs in the Yoshi games sound purposefully off-key and bad. The controls don't feel good at all. And whyyyy is the point of the game to eat Melons?
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 am

As long as it has the weapons, the multiplayer, and the humor of the first game, I'll be happy.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:00 pm

I forever wait for a proper Sweet Home (NES) sequel. Don't get me wrong, Resident Evil was great but not Sweet Home great.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:09 pm

RPGs don't really need sequels unless they're written for them. Games like ToS and CT had their character's journeys begin and end already.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm

See that's just not true, though. The ending of any JRPG is going to have complexities that could be explored in a sequel. Characters' journeys as portrayed in the original are over, but there's no reason they're done growing and learning and changing for the rest of their lives. There are so many conflicts that are not fully resolved over the course of a JRPG and those open ends can absolutely be artfully addressed or expanded on in a sequel.

A bad sequel just un-does or ignores character development to give people the same arc over again. A good sequel expands on what was already there and introduces new conflict and new relationships that weren't fully explored in the original. There's always room for more if the writers are good and have a good vision.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 am

Games don't need sequels. Nothing needs a sequel. They can be good, though.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 am

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1641065, member: 27765"]RPGs don't really need sequels unless they're written for them. Games like ToS and CT had their character's journeys begin and end already.[/QUOTE]
Sweet Home wasn't much of an RPG to begin with. The battle system takes a back seat for puzzle solving most of the game.

ScottyMcGee

Re:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 am

Apollo the Just wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm
See that's just not true, though. The ending of any JRPG is going to have complexities that could be explored in a sequel. Characters' journeys as portrayed in the original are over, but there's no reason they're done growing and learning and changing for the rest of their lives. There are so many conflicts that are not fully resolved over the course of a JRPG and those open ends can absolutely be artfully addressed or expanded on in a sequel.

A bad sequel just un-does or ignores character development to give people the same arc over again. A good sequel expands on what was already there and introduces new conflict and new relationships that weren't fully explored in the original. There's always room for more if the writers are good and have a good vision.
Sometimes I think though that RPG sequels fail because the stakes aren't as high as the original. Take Final Fantasy games. Every Final Fantasy game's climax is a verifiable END OF THE WORLD scenario. They fight gods and goddesses or personifications of darkness. Then you try to make a sequel to top that and it's like. . .okay. . .Jenova has some angsty kids who want to bring back Sephiroth? Lightning gets sucked into the future by some mysterious force? The dead heroes of Final Fantasy II wander around in the afterlife? Yuna and her friends get a band started up and search for Tidus? It's so. . . dull.

It's like this comic strip I saw about Harry Potter. It was like Harry Potter and the Rest of His Life, and it's just Harry sitting down sipping tea all like "Remember that time? Yeah. . ."

Dux is not you

Re: the This Game Never Got The Sequel It Deserved And I'm Fixing It thread

Post by Dux is not you » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Metroid Maker, the sequel-to-end-all-sequels for Metroid.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”