If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Video Game Box Art

Moderator: X-3

ScottyMcGee

Video Game Box Art

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:50 am

What are your favorites? Which do you hate or find that it doesn't do the game justice? Ever printed out a custom box art that somebody made online?

I remember when I was a kid before I played any Zelda game, the impression that the box art gave me was, "Oh boy, this is a grown-up game." The fact that they never showed any characters - just words and symbols - gave me a lasting impression of grace and seriousness.

Probably one of my favorites is Super Mario Kart

I think that aptly describes what it feels like when playing with friends.

I'm a huge fan of classic 80's-90's artwork for fantasy novels. As such, I love older RPGs with box art that reflects this, such as Shining Force and Phantasy Star II.

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 am

My answer will surprise no one.

But it just doesn't get much better. And before anyone is like BUT MARLE USEES ICE< NOT FIRE, it's Arc Impulse.

oh, and another favorite of mine,

Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 am

I was JUST thinking of Yoshi's Island. There are so many that I'm having a mental block of sorts.

So, earlier this year, I got my hands on the original slim box of Resident Evil for PS1.

While I love collecting rare things, I'm not really fond of the box art on the front. It's strange and cluttered - overall haphazard.

I ACTUALLY just now realized that the shapes behind the guy are supposed to be zombie faces.

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am

MM3D has a few gameplay changes I don't agree with, but literally everything about the visual direction of this game except the twinmold fight, they totally failed to convey the largeness of the arena using the sand effect to blur the horizon so it just looks like Twinmold shrank rather than you growing, which was conveyed really well in the original is absolutely wonderful. The final boss room's colors are breathtaking. Clock Town is vibrant. The sky turns a deep red that colors the entire world's palette before the moon falls. Oceanside fishing pool is visually beautiful. Southern Swamp is gorgeous. And the promo art reflected these visual and artistic priorities so well.

I get defensive when MM fans say the remake was bad, because even though I really dislike some of the decisions -- 99% about the bosses
I really hate the bosses and how they turned them into SS-style expose and hit the giant eyeball bosses, which totally limits being able to beat them creatively and Zora mechanics -- they had some REAL artistic vision and put in HONEST effort to make this more than just a copy-paste port.

This box art is literally perfect.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:57 pm

^Nice. I had a phone screen-dimension version of the MM3D box art as my iPhone lock screen for like a full year.
Carthago delendum est

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 pm

I can think of a few that stand out.

[spoiler="Zero Time Dilemma"]
[/spoiler]

Both versions of 999 have pretty bad box art. VLR is decent. ZTD's is great, because they finally realized they could do more with it than just say "here are our characters." This image actually says something about said characters, and that logo is awesome.

Of course, this was probably just an accident since the box art for the 999/VLR remake is almost literally just 18 headshots covering the entire surface. Good thing they're better at games than boxes. >_>

[spoiler="Ori and the Blind Forest"]
[/spoiler]

I don't think that one needs any explanation.

[spoiler="The Banner Saga"]
[/spoiler]

This one technically doesn't have a box, but that image is approximately the "cover" on digital storefronts. I say it counts.

[spoiler="Persona 5 Steelbook"]
[/spoiler]

It's difficult to find an image that conveys how amazing this looks in person. Which is funny, because the standard box art is awful.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Man. I like how Peach looks in that 'Mario Kart' boxart.

She gets a real dopey derp-faced model sometimes (ever seen the Mario-themed Campbell's soup? She looks like she gots somethin wrong with her, man).
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

I've always thought FE: Awakening had a great cover.

It really presents the idea of what the game is as well as it should.

Also

[SPOILER="Spoilers, I guess"]The way everyone's is in some way pointing in the same direction is super stylish. I mean, Fake Marth is flying at our heroes but her sword is still aimed in the same direction as everyone else, hinting that she's on your side even if she doesn't show it initially. [/SPOILER]

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 pm

foreshadowing
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 pm

...I don't know. I really like the reversed boxart from the Borderlands games. 'Borderlands 2' in particular is a fave.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Whenever a game has reversible cover art, I reverse it when I finished the game. That's kind of my "Oh hey I beat it" mark.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm

...........It isn't my favorite box art, but it absolutely deserves a mention, because I cannot remember a time before or since when box art of a video game produced a meme as widespread as U R MR GAY:

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 am

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1637624, member: 31048"]Whenever a game has reversible cover art, I reverse it when I finished the game. That's kind of my "Oh hey I beat it" mark.[/QUOTE]

That's such a cool idea, homey! Makin it a reward, a mark of distinction!! Good on you, dude!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 am

You ready for some rootin'-tootin' space shootin'?

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

box art used to actually be good pretty often
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1638548, member: 25415"]
box art used to actually be good pretty often[/QUOTE]

I know right? Now they're kind of just. . .eh. Basic. Same thing with movie posters. AND books. Oh my god, I can't even tell you how pissed off I am with the current trend in changing book covers.

[SPOILER="Digressing but just one example"]
Robin Hobb's novel here used to have this awesome artwork:

Now they're replacing it with some Justin Bieber photoshop BS. And of course you have to plug in a quote by GRRM because HBO GAME OF THRONES OMFG

UGH.

UGH
[/SPOILER]

Maybe I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am

^ Well one is art, and clearly made by someone who knew what they were doing. And the other is a horrible awful photobash with too many fonts. The Assassin series is actually quite good, it's a shame to see it being ruined in such a way. Publishers are awful.

Classic game cover art was probably the leading inspiration for my cover art and logo for The Damning Moths

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:22 am

^I can really see the Amano influence in that book cover. Maybe it's because you just posted the FFVI box art, but I'm pretty sure it's there.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Time to be a bit salty.

The Phoenix Wright vs. Ace Attorney crossover was a fantastic game with some of the best visual and artistic direction I've seen in a 3DS game, and the concept art reflects that. The Japanese cover is just a cropped version of one of the promo art pieces and it looks really nice, I am in love with the colors by this artist:

.....but for some reason when they localized it they decided we need to just focus on our Four Heroes and who cares about those other guys right.

I'm never going to get over this? Like I get it was for marketing purposes to emphasize the familiar characters that sell, but they turned this from a coherent art piece into something that looks like a bland movie poster. There's too much white on the cover, it's so boring. Ugh.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”