If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Games you couldn't get into.

Moderator: X-3

VG_Addict

Games you couldn't get into.

Post by VG_Addict » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 pm

What were some games that no matter how much you played, you just couldn't get into them?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:58 pm

I usually don't bother continuing to play games I don't like. The only recent exceptions I can think of (ignoring stuff like Andromeda that I was only doing out of grim curiosity) are Final Fantasy XV and Breath of the Wild.

My initial impressions of FFXV were that it had flat characters, MMO-level fetch quests, a largely nonsense story, and somewhat enjoyable combat. People kept telling me that the quests and characters were actually good, though, so I stuck with it for ten hours and, if anything, it got worse. Really would love to know what other people saw in it.

BotW was accidentally designed with almost surgical precision for me to hate it. I recognized this out of the gate, but tried to stick with it because it has some great ideas, it's Zelda, and everyone else loved it. The annoyances won out in the end, unfortunately.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm

I couldn't really get into Mount and Blade.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 pm

I really tried to like A Link Between Worlds (which I think is a great game regardless of how I felt playing it; you can respect the artistry behind a game even if you don't like it).

One thing about that game that just really bugs me is that I'm painfully aware of the perspective trick used to make it look like LttP. I can tell that i'm in a 3D space but everything is slanted so it just looks wrong and I have to retrain my brain to understand the world around me.

I'm also not super-familiar with LttP, and while I think you can enjoy the game without that, I'm pretty sure most of the people who love the game are also LttP fans and I almost feel like that familiarity is a key part of the experience.

Not to mention paralysis of choice once I got to the Dark World. Combined with not knowing my way around, just doing anything felt scary.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Famously, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

The Legend of Zelda is my favorite game series, and the 2D platformer is easily one of my favorite video game genres, so I really like the idea of Adventure of Link. But it just doesn't do it for me in its execution.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Once upon a time I tried playing FFVI. Didn't make it a full hour in.

Should try it again one of these days. I was an immature young man the first time---------------now that I'm an immature old man, no doubt it'll put down tap-roots in my very soul.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Metroid Prime.

I really wanted to like it, but at the time (probably about 8 years ago at this point) I wasn't that into environmental storytelling and I couldn't stand first person. I got a bit lost at one point and gave up, never to pick it up again.

I want to give it another try because I feel like I would like it now, but I distinctly remember at the time feeling like I wanted to like it but it was comprised entirely of gameplay elements that didn't appeal to me.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Most first person shooters I just can't get into with a few exceptions (basically Metroid Prime and I'll occasionally play Halo as well). I like third person shooters like Splatoon and Battlefront, but FPS games just don't do anything for me at all.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:32 am

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1636976, member: 30977"]Metroid Prime.

I really wanted to like it, but at the time (probably about 8 years ago at this point) I wasn't that into environmental storytelling and I couldn't stand first person. I got a bit lost at one point and gave up, never to pick it up again.

I want to give it another try because I feel like I would like it now, but I distinctly remember at the time feeling like I wanted to like it but it was comprised entirely of gameplay elements that didn't appeal to me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, my feelings were essentially the same. I'm gonna give it another shot once I finish my play through of Fusion.

Auuuuuuuuuuuugh can't resist pointing out the grammatical misuse of the word "comprised" though. "Comprise" means "is made of" or "brings together." To say "was comprised entirely of gameplay" would literally mean "was was made of entirely of gameplay." So the correct way to say that would be "entirely comprised gameplay."

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:39 am

I tried playing Klonoa because I was promised a good, early 3D-era platformer. What I got was a super boring game with voice acting that was annoying enough for me to drop it altogether.

I tried playing Okami because I was promised a Zelda game that did Zelda better than Zelda does Zelda. And honestly, the game just fell completely flat and short of that.

I still have yet to make an attempt into FFVII longer than just 2 hours or so. It never hooks me in, and I always end up going to something else.
Carthago delendum est

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1636968, member: 17381"]Once upon a time I tried playing FFVI. Didn't make it a full hour in.

Should try it again one of these days. I was an immature young man the first time---------------now that I'm an immature old man, no doubt it'll put down tap-roots in my very soul.[/QUOTE]
Man, I've started that game three times and never made it out of that first town.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:36 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1637000, member: 23215"]I tried playing Okami because I was promised a Zelda game that did Zelda better than Zelda does Zelda. And honestly, the game just fell completely flat and short of that.[/QUOTE]

Man, I feel like if I had been told that before playing Okami I wouldn't have liked it either. I was told "it's cute and fun and has a nice atmosphere and art style", and then playing it I noticed some similarities to Zelda that made it seem more familiar and therefore enjoyable to me. But if I went into it expecting Zelda I'm pretty sure it would've ruined the experience.

That said I absolutely love the game (THERES A BUTTON TO BARK AND U LEAVE CUTE FLOWERS IN UR WAKE??!!!!!!) so clearly we're coming from different places, but I still strongly disagree with whoever told you to expect "Zelda but better" because that's not fair to it imo
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 am

^Yeah, I realize that my take on Okami is very situational. I was really set up for disappointment. Still, I have no interest in returning to it anytime. =/
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:09 am

I've had a really hard time getting into "modern" FPSs like Halo and Call of Duty. For some reason I have a much better time playing source ports of shooters from the 90s.

Minecraft seems like a game I would enjoy, yet I just don't.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:16 am

Final Fantasy bored me to death, I hate having to grind the minute I start the game.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:11 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1637024, member: 30663"]I've had a really hard time getting into "modern" FPSs like Halo and Call of Duty. For some reason I have a much better time playing source ports of shooters from the 90s.

Minecraft seems like a game I would enjoy, yet I just don't.[/QUOTE]

Minecraft's another one that I can't get into at all, and considering that notch is a ****, I'm cool with that.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Totally forgot about Minecraft. That was what made me realize I don't like survival games.

^Haven't heard anything about him in ages. What'd he do?

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:34 pm

He became very vocal on Twitter, if you want the short version.

MOST recently he said that anyone that was angry about "Heterosexual Pride Day" should be shot in the head. I'm sort of paraphrasing that one, but either way he's pretty much like "I'm rich so I don't have to worry about getting in trouble" at the moment. Not that it matters because he hasn't been involved with Minecraft for years since Microsoft bought the company off him.

But that's not the topic at hand.
----------------------------------------------------
I'm not into Oblivion or Skyrim really? I mean, I'll play them and make progress, but it's really just me running in a direction and getting into fights. Fallout 3 hits that a bit as well, but taking to people and interacting with NPCs mattered more in that game. Oblivion just felt like the only purpose for NPCs was quests, and merchants... or killing. I never really cared about anything that wasn't the overarching plot.

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:45 pm

[QUOTE="The Amazing Tazy Ten, post: 1637047, member: 19345"]Not that it matters because he hasn't been involved with Minecraft for years since Microsoft bought the company off him.[/QUOTE]
Notch had nothing to do with Minecraft years before Microsoft bought Mojang. :tongue:

Anyway, I found it really hard to get into Zelda games (despite owning like 4) until recently. I'm not sure why; I usually enjoy fantasy RPGs.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:25 pm

[QUOTE="MeowMan, post: 1637050, member: 35926"]
Anyway, I found it really hard to get into Zelda games (despite owning like 4) until recently. I'm not sure why; I usually enjoy fantasy RPGs.[/QUOTE]

*twitch*

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”