If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Games you couldn't get into.

Moderator: X-3

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:40 pm

I understand your point, Ian, but the series has enough RPG elements in it that they should impact my enjoyment of it.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and Turok Evolution - more the latter.

I'd always be like "Okay, I'm going to finish this game"

Then I give into entering cheats and then I screw around and call it a day and turn it off, putting it on the shelf for the next 4 to 5 years.

The first Turok always captivated me. The second one sort of not really.Turok Evolution is a travesty.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:46 pm

^ I like the idea of the Turok games (playing as a Native American warrior with a huge arsenal of insane weapons and fighting dinosaurs, aliens, cyborgs, and undead) more than I like any of the actual Turok games.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 pm

I have tried to get into Zelda II multiple times. There are things about it I enjoy, and I think the idea of a side-scrolling Zelda is an interesting one, but I cannot for the life of me get invested enough to get past the first or maybe second temple. There are things about it that didn't age well for me and make it frustrating to play, and while I wanted to finish it to get the full experience, it was never quite worth it for me.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 am

SpyHunter , the remake/sequel for GC and PS2 and etc, was a fun idea but I could never seriously actually finish the game. I enjoyed the opening FMV though. I'll actually watch it now.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 am

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1637274, member: 30977"]I have tried to get into Zelda II multiple times. There are things about it I enjoy, and I think the idea of a side-scrolling Zelda is an interesting one, but I cannot for the life of me get invested enough to get past the first or maybe second temple. There are things about it that didn't age well for me and make it frustrating to play, and while I wanted to finish it to get the full experience, it was never quite worth it for me.[/QUOTE]
It's the odd duck of the hardmode Nintendo Exploration Platformers of the day. The weapon range and the magic management are both very unforgiving, and so on. To get much out of it, you'd probably have to play games like Metroid and Kid Icarus to the point that they're second nature. I think Zelda II has a mystique to it that draws people to playing it, but it's definitely a game that suffered from programmer-testing. Once you've worked out the mechanics of a game and planned all the challenges as the designer, you're usually too blind to make decent choices as the player about what is a reasonable challenge, so it's pretty critical to observe and document playtesters' early attempts to see what they get stuck on.

Personally, I like the risk-reward to playing such an unforgiving title, but I also am a pretty exemplary gamer from the time in terms of what you could expect someone to accomplish, and **** - I'm ADHD so of course the hyperfocus stops me from actually giving much of a **** about the pain. That and I'm the kind of guy who plays an online game just long enough to figure out how to work the numbers in my favor, and then it doesn't matter if I'm dying because I actually plan how often to die, not how not to die.

If we get to hang again, maybe I can do a run of the game and you can provide the commentary?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1637376, member: 25415"]If we get to hang again, maybe I can do a run of the game and you can provide the commentary?[/QUOTE]
oh I'd watch the hell out of that. And I'd get in on it if at all possible.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 am

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1637262, member: 30663"]^ I like the idea of the Turok games (playing as a Native American warrior with a huge arsenal of insane weapons and fighting dinosaurs, aliens, cyborgs, and undead) more than I like any of the actual Turok games.[/QUOTE]
I just remember the first Turok basically having a draw distance of 9 feet.[DOUBLEPOST=1500389303,1500389224][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1637378, member: 23215"]oh I'd watch the hell out of that. And I'd get in on it if at all possible.[/QUOTE]
TBF I think you're one of the few folks I know who I'd tag in to play ZII, sounds good
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:50 am

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1637379, member: 25415"]
TBF I think you're one of the few folks I know who I'd tag in to play ZII[/QUOTE]
I'm honored.

That could actually be primo content, though. Two guys who love Zelda II and have beaten it multiple times doing a casual run while everone's favorite AJ is on the couch just like "wtf you have to use the HAMMER in the FOREST that doesnt even maakeee seennnssee,,,,ff"
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:18 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1637382, member: 23215"]I'm honored.

That could actually be primo content, though. Two guys who love Zelda II and have beaten it multiple times doing a casual run while everone's favorite AJ is on the couch just like "wtf you have to use the HAMMER in the FOREST that doesnt even maakeee seennnssee,,,,ff"[/QUOTE]
you have to cast magic missile at THE DARKNESS

I'd like to think I'm competent at ZII but it's been awhile. I have the FDS disk now, too. Wish you were here to help break that in. I have just gotten an analogue capture device too, so I suppose I could stream the system proper sometime if you're down.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 am

Time to start prepping horse puns and godfather jokes for the horsehead guy fight. We're making this Hapen guys
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Bomby

Re: Games you couldn't get into.

Post by Bomby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 am

Rayman. No idea why. I know it's supposed to be one of the best platformer series, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

^Which Rayman games have you played? Because early Rayman and recent Rayman are vastly different.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Dark Souls.

Everyone holds this game up like it's some kind of messiah and the bosses were super intelligent...yet most bosses to me seemed to be "Dodge-roll until you're behind their legs. Slash slash slash". I found more difficulty in "Where the heck do I go next?".

That said I do find it a little funny when one of my friends, who can recite the Dark Souls lore from heart (and even said "Oh, you had a difficult time with that boss? Oh just get that piece of equipment from this very specific part that the game gives no indication is even available" in the "DUH!" tone of voice like it was so obvious.) said, around Gen VI, that Pokémon is getting too overcomplicated. Pokémon. His reasoning was even "I attacked a tree with fire and it resisted it, come on how was I supposed to know that?"

Uh... same way you were supposed to know that particular monster is weak to this item? Through experimentation or wiki magic?

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Donkey Kong Country, which is weird because I love platformers and sprite art.

Sim Kid

Re:

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm
^Haven't heard anything about him in ages. What'd he do?

And not only did he get vocal on twitter, he basically revealed how much of a ****bottle he really was.

You don't need to worry about giving any more money to him - Microsoft owns Minecraft.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Marilink wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am
^Which Rayman games have you played? Because early Rayman and recent Rayman are vastly different.
The first GBC one and Rayman Legends. So both an old and a new one. Though I keep meaning to give Legends another shot.

Somewhat related: I've also never been able to get into the Bonk games.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm

^looks like you read my mind, because I was going to suggest trying out Origins or Legends if you hadn't.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Ditto for Dark Souls. I got it when I had PS Plus, and my thought even for free was it wasn't worth the bandwidth.

Terraria. I don't get it.

Age of Empires II. Big fan of the rest of the AOE series and any of the Big Huge Games/Ensemble titles. I remember not liking the second one, and I still didn't like it when it came out on Steam. I think I found out why when I did re-buy it. Even on the easiest difficulty, either I suck, or it's still too hard.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 am

I've tried to get into MMOs... WoW, LOTRO, LoL.... but I just can't. I don't like that my newbie phase is broadcasted around experienced players; I prefer to play on my own and become proficient before interacting with other players. I feel super awkward learning the mechanics and fumbling around finding my pace in what feels like a public and exposed space. Not for me and probably never will be

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”