AGDQ/SGDQ General

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

AGDQ/SGDQ General

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 am

Because I wanted to talk about this, but don't want to make a new thread every six months.

Anybody catch any good runs this summer? I wasn't around for the streams, but I'm working through the backlog now. Mostly watching races, but I thought the Majora's Mask 3D and Cuphead runs were really fascinating. The SMB3 race was pretty great too, and really close.
Spoiler.
A damn shame what happened at the end, though.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: AGDQ/SGDQ General

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:19 am

I missed a lot of SGDQ this year because it was simply an extremely busy week for me. I did catch a few runs, though, and I’ve been watching a few VODs.

I’d highly recommend watching the Celeste and Cuphead runs, off the top of my head. The Shantae race was also great.

The SMB3 race...
Spoiler.
was still excellent, even with the unfortunate incident. Poo felt really awful, but it was great to see those two work through it as friends and have absolutely no hard feelings. They’re both great guys, and the race was still extremely entertaining (and such a HOT category).

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I caught the Super Metroid run, along with that Samus Returns run with the elevator trick trouble. I'd never seen Axiom Verge before, so that was cool. The Mario 64 race was great, for what I was able to watch of it. I liked the Cuphead run too.

I kinda half watched the Kirby's Dreamland, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and the MM6 race.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 pm

I was fortunately able to catch a good bit while working, but still haven't watched Cuphead or Catherine yet. Everything else I wanted to watch I was able to, though!

Did me another RPG-themed beverage! It was hard coming up with a way to do FFVI justice because it's just such a heckin good game but I think I did all right:

~Aria di Mezzo~
1 small mug peppermint tea
2 oz. amaretto
juice from one lime wedge, plus part of the peel
a few drops rosewater

Brew tea.
While it's brewing, add (preferably to a shaker, but I couldn't get mine to open so I just did all this in the glass and stirred) ice, amaretto, and lime juice.
When tea has steeped, add to shaker (or glass if you're a weak scrub like me, lol).
Shake then pour through strainer (or stir, but the temperature won't be uniform) into either a larger mug or a cup (I'm using a cup--only my smaller mugs are clean and I am lazy).
Top with lime peel; float with a few drops rosewater.

For non-alcoholic version, substitute amaretto with simple syrup.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 am

Deku Tree wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm
I caught the Super Metroid run, along with that Samus Returns run with the elevator trick trouble. I'd never seen Axiom Verge before, so that was cool. The Mario 64 race was great, for what I was able to watch of it. I liked the Cuphead run too.

I kinda half watched the Kirby's Dreamland, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and the MM6 race.
Super Metroid was very entertaining this year, I loved the 100% Map Completion. I’m glad that some meme-ier categories are getting into the GDQ’s, I think that’s a lot of fun.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 pm

^I agree! Bingo% OoT was neat and I'd love to see that treatment applied to more games.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 pm

I was absolutely stoked that OoT bingo made it in this year. I follow a lot of runners who do bingo races and it’s REALLY fun as a race (especially blockout bingo - those are insane. Basically tic tac toe, where once you take a space the other party can’t). I would love to see a bingo race at a future event because then if the runners go for different bingos you see two different runs!

Also, um, I had never bothered catching the Mega Man block at GDQ before because I had never played the games, but I was around for one of them and I loved the art and music and well now I’m absolutely in love with the series and bought a **** load of X and Zero merch at anime expo, ssssssoooo that was clearly a good run. Damn speedruns getting me into new games, I’m trying to play nothing except Symphonia over here.

I really liked how many indie platformers they showcased compared to previous years, too. There was some cool stuff being showcased and I think it probably helped some of those games sell which is cool.

Being up for the 2mil mark countdown was hype as ****.

The Mario Maker race was probably one of the highlights of the event for me. It was L I T.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”