Obscure Monster Appreciation Thread

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Obscure Monster Appreciation Thread

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Everyone knows what a vampire or a werewolf or a zombie is. But there are more fascinating (and frightening) creatures that aren't as famous in modern culture. What are your favorite examples of lesser-known monsters from mythology, folklore, urban legend or pop culture around the world?

The penanggalan is a vampire-like creature from the Malay peninsula, a woman either corrupted through use of black magic or the victim of a curse. She lives as a normal woman during the day, but at nighttime her head detaches from her body, floating through the air as its entrails trail beneath it, glistening in the night sky like fireflies. They feed on human blood and flesh, preferring the blood of newborns and women who have recently given birth. They're said to have sharp fangs and a long tongue to aid in their feeding, and according to some traditions are capable of oozing up through the floorboards of a house into the room where a newborn and mother are sleeping.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Are kappa obscure? They're neat.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:02 am

^^"Best of the Worst" covered a movie ('Mystics in Bali') with one of them in a couple years back. Movie looks completely bonkers----------should check it out some time.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am

The book of Revelation gets a lot of attention for its imagery, but people always forget to talk about Daniel and how cool those visions are, too. My personal favorite vision in Daniel is the 4-headed flying leopard:

Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 am

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:19 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1626721, member: 30663"]Image[/QUOTE]
Many obscure monsters like this, especially eastern ones, have been depicted in some fashion by the later Castlevania games. Which is why I love them.

Here's a ghibli film based heavily on the same folklore:

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:59 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1626653, member: 23215"]The book of Revelation gets a lot of attention for its imagery, but people always forget to talk about Daniel and how cool those visions are, too. My personal favorite vision in Daniel is the 4-headed flying leopard:

Image[/QUOTE]

I need to read the Bible more often.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:07 am

Me too.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 am

I like Ezekiel's description of cherubim:
In appearance their form was human, but each of them had four faces and four wings. Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved. Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a human being, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. Such were their faces. They each had two wings spreading out upward, each wing touching that of the creature on either side; and each had two other wings covering its body.

That's a lot cooler than "winged, naked infant".

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:23 pm

^^ + ^^^ Me three!

^Yeah, Cherubim and Seraphim are totally badass. The modern usage has really done a disservice to their awesomeness.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:20 pm

I tried really hard to avoid weebing up this topic but in the end I failed to resist the urge.

Pulled out my P3 art book and rifled through it because this game's persona and shadow designs are some of my favorite monster designs in modern fiction (mostly bc of how much they pull from Tarot symbolically). I particularly like how the Magician appears in concept art. Its design looked kind of stupid 3D animated in P3P, but I LOVE it here (and in P3 vanilla's 2D cutscene) --

I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”