If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Do you believe in aliens?

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Speed

Do you believe in aliens?

Post by Speed » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Just polling. I personally believe in aliens and also that most the world is in on it but american news sources black that **** out.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:43 pm

I believe it's impossibly unlikely that Earth was the only place in the universe to develop life, and we're probably one of many in just our galaxy. Whether or not that life is developed is another question, and one I don't think we know enough to confidently answer.

But no, I don't believe that aliens have visited Earth, at least not in recorded history. No civilization intelligent enough to make a many-lightyear trip is going to be satisfied spending such a truly absurd amount of time and resources in order to probe butts or do Ancient Aliens nonsense for exactly the same reasons Francisco Pizzaro didn't make a deal with Atahualpa to kidnap random Incans instead of just conquering them, and the same reasons NASA never built Stonehenge on the moon.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Do I believe extraterrestrial life exists? Yes, and I think there's good reason to believe it's quite common, in one form or another. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we discover it elsewhere in our own solar system.

Do I believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life? Again, I think it's extremely probable, though it's not necessarily likely that we'll ever encounter or even detect another intelligent race.

Do I think intelligent aliens have ever visited Earth? Nope.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:28 pm

I believe life on other planets is an inevitability. I'm not sure the gulfs of space and time are bridgeable, though. Like, rad as it would be for us to have alien homeys, I don't see it happening without impossible tech.
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:34 pm

It's possible but currently there's no real proof that any life really exists out there. We'll see some when we see some.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:39 am

I believe that life beyond earth is also possible but I also acknowledge that it may be very rare or absurdly far away. Just because it's possible doesn't mean that it's happened, though. Or even that it's occurred in sustainable environments. We kind of exist in a perfect storm of circumstance, and that doesn't just include how our planet formed but the other objects in our solar system, etc.

I've been all over the world. Haven't seen or heard of anything so exciting as known extra terrestrials. The US media is wanky and definitely fails to provide unbiased coverage of the external world, but it's not somehow capable of suppressing that sort of information unless a very small amount of people are aware. Humans are, as a whole, not incredibly competent. Individuals accomplish very fantastic things, and through a systematic process of elimination we progress, but we can only deal with failure as it tends to occur. Often it requires a complete reconsideration of our most basic concepts. If anything were preventing knowledge of unearthly visitors, it would honestly need to be an outside source or circumstance, or simply be an incredibly rare occasion.

We're still discovering undocumented species here on Earth. God only knows if we've already found something not originally from our planet which has integrated into its local ecosystem, or if we've yet to do so. I don't fully believe that we would be able to recognise any such a creature if it were to exist.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am

Yeah, I believe other beings exist in the galaxy, universe, etc.

As to whether they have visited us - maybe.

I love reading fringe topics about ancient aliens taking the place of messianic saviors saying they will one day return. People always ask, "If that's true, where are they now?" But remember how space travel works - if you leave and come back, thousands and thousands of years would have passed on the planet. If they do come back, it would have been in the span of a year for them but thousands of years for us. Know what I mean? I don't believe aliens started our species or built the pyramids or tried to make us slaves or anything like that. People can be erroneously swayed about the possibilities of human ingenuity. I know we're stupid but we're also actually really smart. We did have a method of building the pyramids. We did have a way of putting up the heads on Easter Island. If anything - I believe that aliens did pass by here once and may have been seen as something akin of gods, but they didn't do much to influence anything other than mythological figures or stories. They were just like "Oh hi, cool place you have here, sorry, we gotta go. Maybe we'll come back later."

I don't know what to think about things like Roswell and alien abductions. It's too fantastic to think of a grand conspiracy - it just wouldn't work well. But on a lesser scale, I find it more possible that the US government has something stored but also still doesn't know what it is. It's just lying there in a box collecting dust with a big "?" on it. They don't want to say anything about it because it could still be just some confidential object or technology from another country that hasn't spoken up yet. In a universe full of infinite possibilities, it can be possible that a highly advanced species just zooms by every now and then picking things up and putting them back down. Why would they probe us? Merely cataloguing. Nothing bad. Just looking around. Maybe to them, time isn't as linear of an experience as we perceive. They could be something more or less outside of how we perceive time. They don't bother us much because there's no point in doing so - we'd be like ants or pebbles to them.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Maybe, but I doubt it. If they exist then they probably haven't visited us, or at least not in ways we common folk would be aware of. It's more likely they can't visit us IMO, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1617906, member: 31048"]
I love reading fringe topics about ancient aliens taking the place of messianic saviors saying they will one day return. People always ask, "If that's true, where are they now?" But remember how space travel works - if you leave and come back, thousands and thousands of years would have passed on the planet. If they do come back, it would have been in the span of a year for them but thousands of years for us. [/QUOTE]

Relativity goes both ways - if they're going a very significant fraction of c relative to both Earth and their home planet, and they'd have to be, then they'll experience significant time dilation relative to both planets. If 2,000+ years to us have only been one year to them, then their world is 4,000+ years older when they get back. I'm even more skeptical that a species intelligent enough to reach that speed would make promises based on 4,000 years of their own development than I am that they'd make the trip to do basically nothing.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Oh right. Drat. *snaps fingers* Darn plotholes.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

The sign of intelligent life is obvious: They've never tried to contact us.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25 pm

but in all honesty who would want to?
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Elizabeth Gamer

Post by Elizabeth Gamer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:31 am

Do I believe Alien life exists? Yes, and I think there's good reason to believe, beacuse there are lots of evidance of UFO on earth. Even if half of them are fake videos, images there is small procentage is real. I belive they are another intelligent race.
Do I think intelligent aliens have ever visited Earth? yes.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 pm

long story short it almost definitely happened and at least in our lifetimes we will most likely never know where or when

if civilizations were advanced enough to traverse the entire universe we'd have met them already. Unless we r 2 de dum, though sometimes I wonder if that truly is the case

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:36 pm

No
Carthago delendum est

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 pm

There are definitely lifeforms outside of Earth; we've found traces of dead cells on Mars already, IIRC.
Whether any of it is intelligent life--and I don't even necessarily mean sapient, but even sentient--is up for debate.
And I'm pretty dang sure that none of it has visited Earth before.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:25 pm

^As far as I know, the best we have from Mars is a few meteorites with patterns and structures that could reasonably be the result of microscopic life. The ones that had actual dead cells on them are all thought to have been contaminated.

nerofire68

Post by nerofire68 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 am

I am a strange one. I believe there is life that exists off of this planet. I would not say "aliens" though but definition is works... I believe in God. So there ya go. lol
I don't believe there are all these weird reptile people who are living somewhere else and shape-shifting into humans to hide among us... That is just too far out there for me.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Do aliens believe in us?
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:55 pm

No Scotty, you are the aliums. And then Scotty was a Klingon.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”