If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 pm

403. Mario's burning animation (Mario vs. Donkey Kong)

Mario's charred corpse, everyone.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:41 am

Two parter, really - two moments in this edutainment game absolutely scared me as a kid.

404. Error 4-I mean the Eyes.JumpStart Adventures 4th grade: The Haunted Island

So. The entire game is... actually kinda scary for an audience of 4th graders. It's basically a defanged version of a survival horror game wherein you explore a haunted island straight outta Tim Burton and Henry Sellick's imagination trying to restore your cursed classmates. The game is divided into "missions" - you have to basically complete an actiity that Pomreeda (one of your few allies on the island - the others are neutral or hostile) assigns you.

Suppose you decide not to go accept a mission and just play a game. Completing it will bring this image

Her voice will then say "Come to Pomreeda's to accept your challenge."

Seeing it suddenly come out of nowhere made me nearly scream.

405. RepsacJumpStart 4th grade: The Haunted Island

While walking around the island, you may, on occasion, get a jump-scare by Repsac.

Here's the thing that made Repsac scary to an eight year old: He could appear anywhere on the island. In the labyrinth, he could appear THERE, too - when I wandered around the labyrinth and got lost, he appeared there.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:10 pm

406. The true antagonist (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 am

407. Just Hangin' Around (Salt and Santcuary)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

A 50ft humanoid fire-breathing robot decorated with rotting corpses that's also probably the hardest boss I've ever fought.

EDIT: Definitely didn't forget I was doing silly titles for this thread.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:28 pm

408. The Totem Pokémon (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

The Totem Pokémon are powerful Pokés who you must fight on several occasions in Pokémon Sun and Moon, replacing gym leaders for the most part. They are basically super-sized versions of regular Pokés... many of which are evolved. Nothing shows you the pure size of one than Totem Lurantis.

This is Lurantis - also the trainer who has the same "DUUUUUUUURRRRR" facial expression throughout most of the game. Note that according to the Pokédex entry, it is 2'11". That is clearly NOT 2'11".

Some are honestly just plain silly though - Totem Salazzle takes the cake. First off in tis trial, you must guess what is different than the two pictures after the Marowaks dance. First off, you get this.

....then this.

This left more people laughing.

Totem Vikavolt, however, is actually relatively scary. Mostly because the trial places you in the dark and you have to listen to sounds. Then at the very end, Vikavolt announces its presence with "HEEEEEEERE!". Kinda... freaky. The Vikavolt-cam shots before didn't help either.

Totem Mimikyu is built up as being scary... but it's so plain cliched that it comes off as more funny than this.

The next notable one is Totem Kommo-o then appears in Vast Poni Canyon. Kommo doesn't appear until you go right at the end.... and it's mentioned that it's watching you. Then all of a sudden, Fully-evolved-pseudolegendary coming RIGHT AT YOU!!

But that's not all.

[spoiler]The Ultra Beasts give the same aura as the totem Pokés... oh ****.... that leads to some weird implications that the Ultra Beasts may have mutated the totem Pokés.

And when you fight Motherbeast Lusamine... HER Pokés get that aura, too. But there is something else along with it. This image gives a very good side-by-side comparison to what ELSE Her Pokés got.

On the left are her Clefable, Lilligant, and Milotic when you first fight her.... on the right is when you fight Lusamine as the Motherbeast. Note the differences in expression?

What's more, her team also consists of a Mismagius.... and a Bewear.

Their expressions are unchanged... except Bewear looks DEAD. Its battle model looks LIFELESS. And consider that Bewear can break your back by mistake. Given that Bewear takes a LOT of abuse before going down... prepare to see a lot of it.[/spoiler]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:01 pm

409. Taking Notes (Firewatch)
[spoiler="Inherently spoilers"]
About halfway through Firewatch, you find a walky-talkie and a notebook filled with transcripts of your conversations before someone knocks you out from behind and takes both items. The sequence that follows sees you first trying (and failing) to get help from a controlled burn crew, then breaking in to a mysterious fenced area in order to figure out who is stalking you. There aren't any jump scares after the initial attack, but it's all incredibly tense.
[/spoiler]

I wasn't as big on Firewatch as a lot of people were, largely because the mystery ends with a bit of a fart, but I can't deny this part got to me. One of the only times I've had to quit a non-horror game until I could play it in daylight.

Auron

Post by Auron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:15 pm

^^If I had to pick any totem Pokemon moment that made me uncomfortable, it would be the totem Wishiwashi reveal.

Granted, that might have a little bit to do with my irrational fear of most open water areas in video games.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:29 pm

410. The Eyeball Scene (Harvester)

Harvester is already absurdly gory, but this scene in particular stands out, especially since it comes right out of the left field. Early in the game you'll witness a wasp battling a spider in your baby sister's crib; your sister will eat the spider. It later turns out that spider had wasp eggs inside it, because... well, here's a video if you're really curious.

[spoiler][MEDIA=youtube]CzNQFONW4Gg[/MEDIA][/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:07 am

411. After the Massacre (Star Wars: Dark Forces)

The game's second mission takes you to a Rebel base immediately following the unveiling of the Empire's secret Dark Trooper project. The level is littered with the charred, blackened skeletons of Rebels and civilians. Bonus: the corpse sprites appear to have been modeled off of Owen and Beru's smoldering skeletons.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:39 pm

412. JOKER (Persona 2: Eternal Punishment)

A plot point of Persona 2 (Both games) is that if you dial yourself, someone called the JOKER appears. In Eternal Punishment, JOKER functions differently. JOKER would ask who you want to see dead, and then attempt to kill them. If you had called the JOKER, you'll become one yourself - and become a lunatic with no facial features except for a smile.

Image Image Image Image

It's far more scary than in Innocent Sin, because it's baiscally an attempt to control people. In Innocent Sin, the Joker was one person, whereas it's an infection in Eternal Punishment.

HeterodoxalVoxel

Post by HeterodoxalVoxel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:18 pm

413. The Royal Conservatory Hidden Guards (Dishonored 2)
So this one mission can be scary for a multitude of reasons, but this specific part gets me every time. You've opened the gate to the Conservatory, and your first thoughts are to walk inside. From the foliage you cant see the entrance too good, but once your there you see a green tunnel and..

A skull that you couldn't see beyond the grass and greens becomes this monster dog thing called a "Gravehound". The worst part? Even after killing them, their skull remains. They will reappear in under a minute unless you smash the skull or run away in time. Throughout level (and other parts of the game) they appear and their skulls appear in such easy to miss places. Along with this, the Conservatory has such a creepy atmosphere.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm

414. Whipcracks and Whiplashes (Banjo-Kazooie)

Whipcracks are the large, wooden tendrils that writhe about and damage you on contact. Those inexplicable plants are creepy enough, but then there's Whiplashes, which are the same thing but made of flesh and found exclusively inside Clanker's belly. Nasty.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:35 pm

[QUOTE="HeterodoxalVoxel, post: 1622136, member: 40370"]413. The Royal Conservatory Hidden Guards (Dishonored 2)
So this one mission can be scary for a multitude of reasons, but this specific part gets me every time. You've opened the gate to the Conservatory, and your first thoughts are to walk inside. From the foliage you cant see the entrance too good, but once your there you see a green tunnel and..

A skull that you couldn't see beyond the grass and greens becomes this monster dog thing called a "Gravehound". The worst part? Even after killing them, their skull remains. They will reappear in under a minute unless you smash the skull or run away in time. Throughout level (and other parts of the game) they appear and their skulls appear in such easy to miss places. Along with this, the Conservatory has such a creepy atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

These things are infuriating in a no-detect run, but on the bright side, they're in the same class as hounds and don't count as kills against a pacifist run. Using them as dumping grounds for all the grenades and and bullets you're otherwise not using is fun.

415. Japan Studio Discovers Hallucinogenics (Gravity Rush 2)
Major spoilers since this is about the final boss. That said, and as you will probably guess from the below, the story is ****ing nonsense by that point, so the spoilers aren't a great loss.
[spoiler]
GR and GR2 are, for the most part, optimistic Saturday morning cartoons where everything works out okay, people either don't die or do so in completely PG ways, and the villains are amorphous blobs that basically just wait around for you to kick them to death.

GR2's is a little darker, since its first two thirds are about leading the proletariat revolution and all (seriously), but the third chapter initially seems like it's back to business. Then you find out that the mayor has somehow trapped his daughter in another dimension where time passes very slow. He reaches the perfectly natural conclusion that the only way to save her is to freeze time for the rest of the world, and that he can only accomplish this by turning his adopted daughter into a magical girl and finding her sister in yet another dimension to make her another magical girl. When you bring the sister back to her senses right before they succeed, the first sister loses her mind in a fit of jealously and transforms from an oddly dressed, but perfectly normal human into...
[spoiler]
Image[/spoiler]

That goddamn monstrosity. She's suddenly a colossal mass of screaming faces and throbbing pustules adhered to the side of a skyscraper, and you defeat her by individually dive-bombing and destroying each of the screaming face's eyes. Nothing prior to this moment suggested anyone could do this, and the game just ends immediately after the fight without acknowledging the obvious question of "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT?"

Well, it doesn't end immediately. She knocked her father's airship to the ground while transforming, and since the devs figured we'd all be dying to know what happened to him, they treat us to his final speech while the credits roll. Also a quite unexpectedly graphic view of his very lethal and bloody impalement on a bit of rubble.
[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:39 pm

416. The Eclipse (46 Okunen Monogatari: The Shinka Ron)

At the end of the game's third chapter, the Devil shrouds the world in darkness via a solar eclipse. When the light returns, most life in the Northern Hemisphere is extinct, and we're treated to this image of cute little reptiles bleeding out of their eyes and mouths.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 pm

417. The Trail of Blood (Final Fantasy VII)

At one point, your party is locked up in cells, and at one point, it goes deathly quiet, aside from this one theme.

[MEDIA=youtube]MiWV2KseKeo[/MEDIA]

And you literally see a trail of blood and dead bodies.

Artemis008

Re: 500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

Post by Artemis008 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 pm

418. The **** title screen jingle in the original Madden for PC.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xu0QLLbrVVc ... e=youtu.be

I get that it's supposed to be crowd cheering, but it sounds like screaming thanks to the limited technology.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”