If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Pentagon ran secret multi-million dollar UFO program

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Pentagon ran secret multi-million dollar UFO program

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 am

Money well spent, I'm sure.
The Pentagon has been running a secret multi-million dollar programme to investigate Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), US media report.

Only a small number of officials were aware of the programme, which began in 2007 and was reportedly closed in 2012.

The New York Times says documents from the operation describe strange speeding aircraft and hovering objects.

But scientists were doubtful, stressing that unexplained happenings were not necessarily proof of alien life.

The Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Programme was the brainchild of Harry Reid, a retired Democratic senator who was the Senate majority leader at the time.

He told the New York Times: "I'm not embarrassed or ashamed or sorry I got this thing going. I've done something that no one has done before."

Mr Reid - former senator for Nevada, home to the mythologised "Area 51" classified US Air Force base - later tweeted that the programme was a serious effort to get to truth amid "plenty of evidence to support asking the questions".

The programme is reported to have cost the Department of Defense more than $20 million (£15m) before it was shut down in order to save costs.

Although its funding ended in 2012, officials have reportedly continued to investigate sightings of unusual aerial phenomena and suspicious objects alongside their daily duties.

One former congressional staffer told Politico the programme may have been set up to monitor the technological progress of rival foreign powers.

"Was this China or Russia trying to do something or has some propulsion system we are not familiar with?", they said.

Earlier this year, the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) released millions of pages of declassified documents online.

The records included UFO sightings and a collection of reports on flying saucers.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Re: Pentagon ran secret multi-million dollar UFO program

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:13 am

*Slowly puts on a tinfoil hat*

They're not getting my thoughts.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am

I get why so many outlets are jumping to cover this, but investigating reports of strange aircraft is part of the DoD job description. You can tell how seriously they were taking this from the fact that it's only a "multi-million dollar" project over the course of several years from an budget that runs into the hundreds of billions every year. If they actually thought there were aliens to find, a lot more effort would've gone into this.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 am

Suspicious.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”