If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Files on JFK assassination to be released on Oct 26

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Files on JFK assassination to be released on Oct 26

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:43 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41708854
Donald Trump has said he plans to allow the opening of a trove of long-classified files on the assassination of former president John F Kennedy.

The president tweeted to say he would allow the release "subject to receipt of further information".

The files are scheduled to be opened by the US National Archives on 26 October, but the president is entitled to extend their classified status.

Kennedy was shot dead by a sniper on 22 November 1963 in Dallas, Texas.

The National Archives has already released most documents related to the assassination but a final batch remains under lock and key.

"Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened," Trump said in a tweet.

Congress ruled in 1992 that all JFK documents should be released within 25 years, unless the president decided the release would harm national security.

The archive contains more than 3,000 previously unreleased documents, and more than 30,000 that have been released before but with redactions.

It is unclear whether Mr Trump intends to allow the release in full or with redactions.
lizardmen did it

Spoiler.
We're not going to learn anything mind-blowing from these files, and I'm sure they'll do nothing to satisfy the conspiracy theorists. But nonetheless I'm still interested about what's in there that we don't already know, however insignificant it may be.

I am nobody

Re: Files on JFK assassination to be released on Oct 26

Post by I am nobody » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 am

I'm sure they'll at least come up with a few new ones from this stuff. Sure, we've got one about JFK being killed by Jesuit wizards, but what if the Roswell Alien was involved, too?

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:17 am

Something something adjustable limo seat.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:25 am

Top 10 Pranks Gone Horribly Wrong

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Oh, it is a straight-up allowance for the files? I just thought he was going to not continue to block their release. My opinion on this is roughly the same as yours, Val, and I don't really care about this one way or the other but I have heard multiple different wordings regarding what was going to happen so it's nice to see some clarification.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 am

Some of the things revealed in the documents:
  • FBI director J. Edgar Hoover was worried the public wouldn't believe Oswald was the assassin and that conspiracy theories would proliferate (good thing that didn't happen).
  • Oswald spoke to a KGB officer at the Russian embassy in Mexico City about two months prior to the assassination.
  • The FBI had warned Dallas police of a death threat made against Oswald and recommended heavier protection of the suspect.
  • A few Soviet officials were worried that with the commander-in-chief dead, the USSR would be blamed and some irresponsible general would take matters into his own hands by launching a missile at Russia. The Soviets were also convinced the assassination was not committed by a lone wolf, but by a conspiracy of multiple people.
  • Not exactly related to the assassination, but in 1964 the FBI warned Bobby Kennedy that an upcoming book would expose an alleged affair between him and Marilyn Monroe, and that he had her murdered and made her death look like a suicide.
  • Prior to his presidency, private investigators were hired to dig up dirt on then-Senator Kennedy.
  • 25 minutes before the assassination, The Cambridge News, a British local paper, received an anonymous call about "some big news" that suggested they contact the American embassy.
  • More plans to kill Fidel Castro.
  • Some members of the KKK allegedly had proof that Lyndon Johnson was a member of the Klan early in his political career.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”