John Titor - Supposed Time Traveler

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

ScottyMcGee

John Titor - Supposed Time Traveler

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 pm

This section has been quiet so here's this.

John Titor appeared on the Internet back in November 2, 2000
. He claimed to be a time traveler from the year 2036 who needed to fetch an IBM 5100 because of its hidden function to debug and emulate code between various programming languages. He was a soldier who was tasked with obtaining necessary equipment from the past. He went back to 1975 to get an IBM 5100 and then stopped by 2000 for "personal reasons".

He claimed that time travel would be achieved by CERN around 2034 by the creation of "microsingularities" - or mini black holes, alluding to the Large Hadron Collider. He explained time travel as being able to jump into parallel timelines, thus no paradoxes would occur. Our timeline may not see all his predictions because, as he claimed, differences between timelines can range from 1% - 2.5%

He stopped posting in March 2001 and was never heard from again.

Predictions that never came to be:

Claimed that the United States would see a second Civil War in 2004
Claimed that 2015 would see a nuclear war
Claimed that 2008 Olympics would be cancelled (However, in our "timeline" there was a vague possibility of that happening due to the Tibetan riots)
Claimed that mad cow disease would become a rampant pandemic

Predictions that turned out to be true:

Said that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq (This was before 9/11 even happened)
Alluded to the Columbia disaster of 2003 (though not by name, referred to the overheating issue that made the shuttle crash - so half a point?)
Claimed that China was close to putting a man into orbit (They did so in 2003)
Knew about hidden functions of the IBM 5100. No consumer at the time knew about its hidden functions. IBM kept it a secret fearing that competitors would abuse its ability to debug and emulate programming languages. Titor claimed he needed one in the future because of the 2038 UNIX timeout - which is a real thing.
Titor's explanation of how time travel works first contradicted Hawking's interpretation of Hawking's Radiation and the nature of black holes. But after Titor vanished, Hawking changed his theories in 2004, which became more in line with Titor's explanation.

Lastly, he posted schematics of his time travel device, which he called a C204 Gravity Distortion Time Displacement Unit

He posted color pictures of said device - which reminds me of that ghost trap thing in Ghostbusters:

Other links:

John Titor's original post explaining time travel

John Titor and the IBM 5100
John Titor Predictions

Most people believe he was simply a well-informed individual, either a computer science expert or IBM employee, who went out of his way for an elaborate hoax. Others, of course, believe there's credence to his tale.

There also seems to be some confusion as to whether John Titor was the same unknown self-proclaimed time traveler who faxed Art Bell on his radio show back in 1998. Art Bell was a broadcaster who hosted a radio show late at night about paranormal events and conspiracy theories. These Internet posts by John Titor in 2000 - 2001 were on an Art Bell forum.

I am nobody

Re: John Titor - Supposed Time Traveler

Post by I am nobody » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I'll believe it when someone makes an unambiguous and specific prediction that comes exactly true. Bonus points for actually preventing a disaster no one saw coming instead of just vaguely hinting at them.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

^That one has to be difficult.

Heroic Guy: I prevented the apocalypse!
Rando: What apocalypse?
Heroic Guy: You know, the apocalypse?
Rando #2: Is there supposed to be an apocalypse? Because I don't see any apocalypse here, fella. This is a Dairy Queen. I came here for a Blizzard.
Heroic Guy: No, no, there was going to be an apocalypse, but then I prevented it.
Rando: Well, that was nice of you, but you must realise that that is an extraordinarily easy thing to claim, and a difficult thing to prove.
Heroic Guy: I did do it, I swear! There was a crazy 'Mad Max' apocalypse, I mean it! I mean it.
(*a beat*)
Rando #2:...you know, if you want a Blizzard, or a Mr. Misty, or something, you could just ask. I'll buy you one, friend. And I tell you what, just oncet I'll listen to whatever bullcrap you want to try and peddle in the meantime. I don't got any plans this afternoon. Noosir.
Heroic Guy:...I want a Strawberry Cheesequake. (*cough*) l I mean, do those even exist in this crazy non-apocalyptic timeline?
Rando #2: Sure. Say, you're the Petersen boy, aren't you? Would you mind taking your ma the bulletin? I noticed she wasn't at mass on sunday, and I got an extra in the car--------me and the wife both grabbed one by mistake, yah. What can ya do.

...and thus the anarchic dystopia never came to Sheboygan, the way 'Fallout' said it would.

Scahnsin.........Scahnsin never changes.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Red

Post by Red » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:18 am

You'd think he'd a have a decent quality camera.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 am

Hmmm. I don't remember making ^^this post at all.

Having all these nine/ten-hours right in a row is making me fray a little, man.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:15 am

Maybe your future self made that post and sent it back in time.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:28 am

If I thought my future self was going to be the exact same kind of insufferable bloviating moron that I am now, I would get out the old fastback and vivisect myself, in an heroic effort to prevent the most horrible future imaginable to man.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:11 am

I found all the John Titor stuff fascinating to read some time back... and it's just a cool story until there's some tangible evidence that we can time travel... only 16 years (or so) to go... :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am

I wish I actually believed this kind of stuff. Time Travel just seems out of reach. You can slap a bunch of computer parts and rubber hoses in a metal box all you want but it just makes for some good reading. Ah, the older I get the more skepticism I experience. Where did the child within go :l

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”