The Mystery of Missing Malaysian Flight MH370

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Re: The Mystery of Missing Malaysian Flight MH370

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I think it's the mystery of it all that brings all these interesting theories out. And, I personally think (with no information truly to go on) it's likely to be a strange set of unique occurrences/circumstances that will be discovered when the aircraft is finally located.
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:31 am

I am nobody wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm
Why would China ever rely on a foreign civilian airline to deliver "secret cargo? "What kind of cargo could Malaysia possibly have that would need to be physically transported and that China couldn't just get on their own?
Metal. . .GEAR. . .

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:29 pm

More theories... and has the location of MH370 been discovered?

‘MH370 found, with bullet holes’
IT’S the mystery that still has the world holding its breath - just what happened to missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370?

Now, an Australian mechanical engineer claims to have tracked it down near Mauritius, and says the public is being kept in the dark by authorities.

Peter McMahon, who has reportedly worked in crash investigations for more than 25 years, has been hunting for MH370 ever since it disappeared in 2014.

McMahon, 64, says he has finally found what he believes is the jet using NASA and Google Earth images and has pinpointed its location to 16 kilometres south of Round Island, north of Mauritius.

It’s an area that’s not yet been searched by investigators.

In one of the images, the outline of part of an aircraft is visible just below the surface of the water, the UK’s Daily Star reports.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 62e8029cbe
He claims to have sent his evidence over to the Australian Transport and Safety Bureau (ATSB), which has confirmed it could in fact be the missing plane.

However he alleges that US officials refused to search the area and are hiding information.

“Four Americans were sent to Australia to oversee the findings of MH370,” he said. “They have made sure that all information received has been hidden from the public, even our government - but why?

“...(they) do not want it found as it’s full of bullet holes, finding it will only open another inquiry.”

Happiest faerie of VGF.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm

So, a few things on that.

- The Daily Star is a British tabloid. They're not exactly known for going out of their way to verify sensational stories, and have been successfully sued for libel in the past. Doesn't seem like they're as bad as the Daily Mail or anything, but them being the source of a story doesn't exactly lend credibility. I think it's notable that, as all the comments there pointed out, they don't provide coordinates, which would be trivial to obtain if it was found in Google Earth.

- Google Earth is not designed for viewing pictures of the ocean. There is only a tiny patch of ocean that is ever photographed in the areas that could reasonably be considered 16 kilometers "south" of Round Island, and it's always at extraordinarily low resolution. I couldn't find the exact spot they're talking about, in no small part because the area doesn't appear to have been photographed on 4/19/14 like the image claims, but I did find numerous other shapes that could pass for aircraft just as well in different places in that tiny window in photographs from 2009 to May 2014. They're clouds and wave crests, much like that appears to be. To see a plane, even one of that size, at that scale in Google Earth, you have to zoom in *very* close, at which point the low-res image of the ocean just turns into squares. You don't get anything near that clear of an image at the zoom level required to for a plane to be that large.

- I assume he chooses to phrase it as "16 kilometers south of Round Island" because that sounds a lot better than "6 kilometers north of Mauritius", which is home to just over a million people. The area is also near a major Indian Ocean shipping lane, and all ships going through the area would have had to miss the plane despite the depth being just 150-450 feet in the area and the water apparently being so clear that you can see the floor from a satellite.

I spent entirely too much time looking at compressed images of the Mauritian coast just now.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:43 pm

And the report...

"‘Four years on, we are none the wiser’: Reason MH370 hasn’t been found
THE MH370 report exposes a series of mistakes that hampered the search — and one crucial failure which did even more damage."
THE “final report” into missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 confirms the theory that someone deliberately diverted the plane from its course before it mysteriously vanished.

It recounts a series of mistakes that delayed the search and rescue operation — and one crucial failure of a system that could have immediately located the lost MH370.

The aircraft was fitted with four Emergency Locator Transmitters, in accordance with regulation, but every one of them failed, the independent report states.

Their batteries were within their expiry dates but no search and rescue agencies or other planes in the area reported receiving a distress signal.

“There have been reported difficulties with the transmission of ELT signals if an aircraft enters the water,” reads the report released on Monday. “The ELT does not activate, or the transmission is ineffective as a result of being submerged under water.”
More: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... b5b0494214

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”