If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Adventure, Glory, Pain. Two of these are guaranteed. Dungeon World!

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Post Reply
User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Adventure, Glory, Pain. Two of these are guaranteed. Dungeon World!

Post by LOOT » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:57 am

Roll 2d6 for montage session!

---

For those just joining, Dungeon World is a tabletop RPG made basically to be the game that many people wished Dungeons and Dragons actually was. The basic idea is that many actions, in and out of combat, can be simplified to a dice roll of 2d6 plus stat modifier. In doing so, the focus of Dungeon World is now less on combat (I have played D&D 3.5, 4th, and 5e and combat just DRAGS ON AND IT'S EVEN ON LEVEL ONE ENCOUNTERS) and you now have more time role playing and performing feats that make you look so badass wow!

---

This is session 1, we have in our party the following:

Name: Nard (the Bard) (Played by Valigarmander)
Class: Bard
Race: Human

Alignment: Neutral
Looks: Breathtakingly handsome, exceptionally muscular, piercing eyes, gorgeous hair, sharply dressed Dumb, loser, and nerd

STR: 12
DEX: 13
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 9
CHA: 15

Starting Moves: Arcane Art, Charming & Open, Bardic Lore (A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual), A Port In The Storm
Starting Gear: Dungeon Rations, Mandolin, Leather Armor, Dueling Rapier, Halfling Pipeleaf

-

Name: Galois (Played by Microphone_Kirby)
Class: Mage
Race: 1/2 Elf 1/2 Human
Racial Ability: Whenever a Magical effect happens close by, you can feel it, and tell roughly which direction and how far it is from you.
Alignment: Neutral

Looks: Straight, 4 inch hair (3inches red from the root, 1 inch Silver from the tip); Plain, Hooded Black robe; 5feet, 5 inches tall, somewhat scrawny body; Wide, emerald eyes

STR:9
DEX:12
CON:15
INT:16
WIS:13
CHA:8

Starting Moves: Arcane Learning, Cast a Spell(INT), Black Magic(INT)
Spell Focus: The Storm
Look: Purple Skin
Aligned: Fog and Lightning, Control Wind and Rain, Move like the Wind
Opposed: Stasis and Calm, Creating Anything Solid or Permanent

Gear: Dungeon Rations(5 Uses); A Green Book (about 100 Pages thick), with an Amethyst engraved on the top of the spine; A Bag of Books(5 Uses), 3 Healing Potions, a Dagger(hand), 3 Antitoxins

-

Name: Memylir
Class: Priest
Race: Human
Racial Ability: When you Defy Danger from something related to your deity's domain, take +1.
Alignment: Good
Looks: Average build, but slightly curvy. Eyes are violet, kind yet sad. Hair is cut into an A-line bob, blue-green in color. Wears flowing robes.

Stats:
STR:
8
DEX: 12
CON: 9
INT: 15
WIS: 16
CHA: 13

Deity - Ishume
  • Controls - The Sun
  • Represents - Love
  • Worshippers - Welcomes anyone
  • Enemies - Undead and demons
  • Demands - Humility through suffering
Starting Moves
  • Invocation
  • Divine Ward
  • Lead the Flock
Starting Gear
  • Symbol of Ishume: Medallion with a green gem of sorts in it
  • Divine Weapon: A two-handed warhammer
  • Adventuring gear and dungeon Rations
  • Bag of Books and Bandages
-

Name: Ruby (Played by Random User)
Class: Thief
Race: Human

Alignment: Neutral
Looks: Lithe build and pale skin. Her shifty eyes are green and her black, matted hair falls a little bit beyond her shoulders. Typically wears a cowl and some type of dark leather armour.

STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 13
INT: 9
WIS: 8
CHA: 15

Staring Moves
Trap Expert
Tricks of the Trade
Backstab
Flexible Morals
Poisoner (Bloodweed)

Starting Gear
10 Coins
Dungeon Rations
Bloodweed (3 uses)
Leather Armour
Dagger
Short Sword
Throwing Daggers (x3)
Healing Potion

-

Name: Adder
Class: Fighter
Race: Human

Alignment: Neutral
Looks: Tall and lean, about 28 years old but with short white hair. Content disposition.

STATS
STR:
15
DEX: 16
CON: 8
INT: 12
WIS: 13
CHA: 9

Staring Moves
Signature Weapon
Bend Bars, Lift Gates
Armored

Starting Gear
Signature Weapon - Sword - "The Harbinger"
Dungeon Rations
Chainmail and adventuring gear
22 coins
Shield

---

PLOT SUMMARY: We're just starting. This is what the party is currently doing! I am going to edit this at various intervals, and if this is a success I'll change the party members to reflect the current campaign! PLEASE FULFILL MY DREAM OF HAVING A TOPIC GET MORE THAN JUST ONE TOPIC SO I CAN RUB IT IN VAL'S NOSE

---

Under this post I'll start off the actual campaign for real. And again I AM NOT COMPLETELY BEGGING but if you want to join, we can take up to two more players! I just request that if you are tagged you respond in 24 hours which I am totally good at according to the VGF Catan thread!! But I'll try to shuffle things so various members can get their turns in.

LASTLY! I said I was going to use a dice program, but I think letting you tell me the result may be better. For one, I can confirm with you if you want to do the action first by telling you to roll the dice. Second, much like the 1CC topic, we're pretty much adults here, and getting a low result is not the end of the world. Again, I need to point out you get experience for doing real bad on action rolls. Trust in honesty, and bad rolls is what makes Tabletop games so much fun!

So let's do this! Welcome... to Dungeon World!

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:12 am

Vanguard! A rustling, bustling city, and what a city that rustles and bustles! A port that connects multiple countries together, this center of commerce and communication brings forth the greatest variety of travelers. Warriors and worriers gather to discuss their future, mages and pages share knowledge, many a traveling minstrels and musicians afford their night stay with a wide variety of shows and concerts. In this city, there is no shortage of work for those willing to dirty their hands a bit, literally or figuratively and usually both at the same time. To ensure these lesser-wanted activities are kept on the down-low, there is no shortage of patrols to ensure the safety of those entering and those leaving. After all, if wind catches that you're about to embark on a job to take down a black market, your life is forfeit.

Vanguard is primarily a minotaur establishment, marking their freedom from the elves and humans of this land. Hundreds of years since alliances have been forged and past tensions have eased. Now they also welcome races of all, followers of many, with the sole rule of don't mess with people. Halflings raffle off rarities from the deserts of the south, hobgoblins offering contracts of goblin workers to fulfill large numbers of building demands. And you... you're here to find adventure and glory, are you not?

Our story begins here. Card the Bard has recently been hired by a fellow looking to clean house. Or castle if you will. The place has been empty for a short while, probably 30 years or so. A little bit of dusting here, some cobweb cleaning there, purge the unholy menace that haunts this keep, send back to their graves the armies of beyond the grave, maybe plant some flowers out front. This kind of task has been guaranteed a substantial reward to those that are willing to clean out this area so the elderly person may sell it off. Apparently the doors and rooms are quite large and suitable even for the native minotaurs of the land. Which makes sense because the gentleman's clan is apparently notorious for minotaur slavery until about 50 years ago, even though they won their freedom many many years before. Awkward.

Going around, Ward the Bard sought adventurers willing to join him in liberating the keep of these haunts and stupidly mentioning the idea of looting the place anyway. Turns out there is one wizard, Galois, who became interested when the idea of ancient treasures may sleep within. After all, if the place has stood for hundreds of years, there's a great chance that secrets reside in yet to be discovered.

Vard eventually came to the services of a young Cleric, by the name of Memylir. Hearing of these beasts that threaten the world and compelled in her holy duty, she volunteers her services not out of greed but of servitude to cleanse the land of such evils. The flamboyantly-dressed Bard may have uttered he could not believe how easy that was.

And we still have one missing who is to join. One who MAY be needed because our Bard forgot to get the door key. Way to go.

Adventurers! How are you feeling for a trek to a haunted mansion?[DOUBLEPOST=1445231570,1445231356][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah I can just tag you. [USER=35827]@Phantom User[/USER] YOU'RE ON

User avatar
Random User
Posts: 12671
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am
Location: SECRET BASE INSIDE SNAKE MOUNTAIN
Contact:

Post by Random User » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:51 am

A sigh fell from the lips of the Thief, unable to believe the Bard, Nard, managed to forget the key to the castle (and more importantly, her treasures-to-be). She was confident in this job going well, but she hopes that this setback isn't a harbinger of things to come. Uttering a complaint about Nard's competence in her frustration, Ruby set to work on the first task of the day - getting inside. Using Tricks of the Trade, she attempts to pick the lock on the front door.

User avatar
Valigarmander
Supermod
Posts: 48358
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: World -1
Contact:

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:17 am

Nard pursed his lips as he watched the thief pick at the lock. "Just as planned," he thought to himself. "By cleverly and intentionally leaving the door key behind, I'm giving the thief a chance to showcase her skills and see if she's truly worthy of my companionship." The bard couldn't help but smirk at his own genius. He flipped his hair as he began to plot ways to test the cleric's abilities, too.

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 pm

A forlorn expression writes itself across Galois' hood-obscured face. He has seen something like this twice before, and both times nothing interesting came out of them: maybe a few coins, weapons he can't lift or carry, and nothing of historic or mystical value. Here, however, he feels a sharp chill that makes this place worse that the others; actual danger worse.
"If you seen one abandoned castle, you've seen them all", he thought, nervously chuckling and gripping his staff tightly.

User avatar
ScottyMcGee
Posts: 4906
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Adder Baalum, wandering fighter, wanted to throw up a bit. His head throbbed. He tried hard not to trip over the gnarling roots on the way to the haunted mansion.
"Damn. Of course I'm late," he muttered. He shouldn't have stayed up all night with that bartendress knowing he had vowed to tag along on this job the next morning. They were probably waiting for him. Or no, probably not. Most likely not. This was a group of battle-worn warriors; not a tour group. Heck, maybe they already did the job. What then? Well, there was the bartendress back in his room at the inn. She most likely woke up by now and stormed out.
He ran over the final hill and spotted the familiar figures around the front door. Someone was trying to pick the lock.
He sighed in relief.
"Oh, good. Just in time."
Adder awkwardly stepped in line behind them, pretending as though he was always there.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:33 pm

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Right, first thing we need to do: Everyone please take a look at your character sheets under Bonds! These little tidbits are what bring the party closer (Or apparently further according to some bonds like the Cleric and Ranger). You need to select one bond and put another character in the empty space. This is your goal! You may take as many bonds as you wish but need a minimum of one. Once we hit a Reflection point, you will see if your bonds were fulfilled yet. If it's agreed you did do so, the bond is complete, you gain an XP, and well there's probably going to be some bonuses later when you interact with said member on certain actions.

Once we confirm our bonds, discuss among each other: When and how will you proceed? The keep (Also is it a Keep or Castle because apparently there is a difference in the meager guide) appears to be about, oh, a third of a day's walking away, just following the river bed. You may hire a coach for the meager price of 1 gold piece a person since it's not too difficult of a ride. Maybe you'll wait it out and rest for the night? I won't guarantee the weather will be suitable but you'll be granted a Preparation, which gives you an automatic +1 to any one roll you make. Also the people may change and while you can find more information in the span of a day you might miss people who are leaving right now. Like those dwarves over yonder about to make leave, but they might not care for your scrawny fresh-blood selves tagging along.

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:47 pm

(Obviously Out of Character)

First: I was under the assumption we were already there (considering RU's and Val's RP)... but it would make sense if the journey started in Vanguard than already at our destination since... we all technically just met (which would mean... my RP post would be for naught D': ).
Besides, el Mod-o Looto did say:
[QUOTE="Empty Loot, post: 1568089, member: 21459"]PLOT SUMMARY: We're just starting.[/QUOTE]

Second: There's a difference between Keep and Castle(to the Mod)?!? Huh...
Well... I'd say story-wise it's up to Val to choose.

Third: about Bonds:
Nard acts a bit shady... I bet he's keeping important information from me.
I have a feeling Memylir will play a important role in this quest...
Ruby will probably need my help for something... personal. The question is "Should I help?".

Fourth: No major decisions, since (see "First") and I have no Idea of the time of day.

User avatar
Valigarmander
Supermod
Posts: 48358
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: World -1
Contact:

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Bond: Loot Adder is often the butt of my jokes.

User avatar
ScottyMcGee
Posts: 4906
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Bonds:
Adder has sworn to protect Memylir (Albeit in a very awkward, clumsy manner, being that she subconsciously reminds Adder of his dead girlfriend)
Adder worries about the ability of Galois to survive in the dungeon.
Adder is cautious not to make too much of a fool of himself in front of Nard.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

User avatar
StarryPeach
Posts: 10957
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Elibe

Post by StarryPeach » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:29 am

Bond: Adder is in constant danger; I will keep him safe.

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 am

Yeah we are starting at port because actually there are mechanics for making journeys, either montage or rolling for Perilous Journey.

And the Keep/Castle difference is real! Mostly because in the price list of various goods, there is a rather large monetary difference in Keep and Castle. A keep costs 75,000 and a castle is at a whopping 250,000. I'm going to assume this is a Keep for the sake of story though (You're level 1, for goodness sake!)

I should probably start drawing up the map for the journey.

User avatar
Random User
Posts: 12671
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am
Location: SECRET BASE INSIDE SNAKE MOUNTAIN
Contact:

Post by Random User » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:45 am

Bonds:
Memylir knows incriminating things about Ruby.
Ruby has once stolen from Galois.

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:15 pm

So while Bel finishes updating from Cleric to Priest, what is the plan of attack for our foolhardy warriors?

User avatar
ScottyMcGee
Posts: 4906
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Adder toyed with the gold coins in his pocket.
Traveling over yonder with the group may be more fun being that he'd get to know more of his members. But he thought about how a couple of them may tire out on the way there, possibly Galois, being the slimest of them. It'd probably be better to arrive at the keep, possibly full of ghouls and goblins, fresh and alert.
"I have more than enough for each of us to get in a coach," Adder said, producing a coin from his pocket and twiddling it between his fingers.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

User avatar
StarryPeach
Posts: 10957
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Elibe

Post by StarryPeach » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:27 pm

[ooc: haha **** sorry for holding everyone up; I'll try to finish updating as soon as possible. work + distractions distractions]

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:28 pm

"So... what's wrong with a good walk?", Galois asks. A slight timbre of frustration is evident in his voice as he fingers through his tome, his impatience now visible to the party.
As he looks up from his tome, he closes it and notices the other party members looking at him. He nervously replies "H-hey, I have nothing against a free ride! It's just I like the feel of the wind on my body and sometimes the fall of rain on my travels. Heh, heh...".
Galois gives a nervous grin when he trails off, not that anyone would notice it under that hood of his.

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:24 pm

One for hoofin' it one for choo-choo ride. The ride would take merely a couple hours while walking may leave you there at sunset (And we know how those spooky manors are at night!). The Priest, Bard, and Thief just kinda stare at their feet while the Fighter and Mage gave the only options they could think of. An elf passing by raises an eyebrow, as if saying "goodness you have an odd number of people just put it to a vote or something".

[USER=19313]@Ringabelfry[/USER] , [USER=30663]@Hallowgarmander[/USER] , [USER=35827]@Phantom User[/USER] , What say ye silent ones except for Hard the Bard who boasts rather high charisma and is unusually quiet right now STOP PLAYING SETTLERS OF CATAN[DOUBLEPOST=1445455445,1445455391][/DOUBLEPOST]DOES ANYONE WANT A SODA OR SOMETHING

I GOT SOME FRUIT PUNCH IN THE FRIDGE TOO

VAL CAN YOU GET THE CHEEZE-ITS OUT TOO

User avatar
StarryPeach
Posts: 10957
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Elibe

Post by StarryPeach » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:36 pm

The Priest with the blue-green hair looked up from her musings at the group, who was trying to decide on a coach to ride or to walk to the manor. She weighed the pros and cons of both, taking her time about it. There was something to be said about walking there--after all, if something didn't kill someone, if usually made that someone stronger. There is something to be said about suffering, at least to this priest--but she had done much walking in her life and it wasn't considered suffering to her. Plus there's no point in making comrades suffer. Yet there was also something to be said about riding in a coach, being alert and ready for whatever the manor had in order.

Hmmm...

"I would like to say we take the coach," the priest replied, breaking out of her reverie. "And my reasoning is as such: we don't know what we'll encounter there, and a long walk may make us tired and unable to deal with whatever is in the manor."

User avatar
Valigarmander
Supermod
Posts: 48358
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: World -1
Contact:

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:46 pm

"I agree with milady," the bard said as he crossed his arms and nodded his head. "A coach is the best option. The long walk there would wear us out for our impending work, and worse, it would get our nice clothes all sweaty and dirty, and I won't stand for that."

Post Reply

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”