If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Interest in play-by-post Dungeon World or similar?

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

LOOT

Interest in play-by-post Dungeon World or similar?

Post by LOOT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:06 pm

I've been getting hooked on some Dungeon World podcasts lately, which sounds a lot like D&D if you actually want the freedom to do more heroic actions.

Dungeon World from what I understand uses loose rules for player-placement when dealing with encounters, and most dice rolls are basically 2d6+Mod, in fact I think anything that isn't damage calculation is that. Spell casting seems pretty fun too because if you roll medium you do the spell instead of "fizzling" but you choose a downside or two to make up for it. In contrast rolling really well lets you choose a benefit, or even take a downside instead to deal bonus damage in some situations.

Most important, this game encourages banter and conversation, instead of "your character doesn't know that, be realistic stop having fun dammit". If there's enough interest, I can spring for a .pdf of the DM guide, we can distribute player guides and classes, and we can be the FIRST TOPIC IN THIS SUBFORUM THAT ACTUALLY ROLEPLAYS.

(I am also looking at 13th Age, may listen into that next)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:08 pm

I put on my robe and wizard hat. :wizard:

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Maybe.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:14 pm

I'd love to do this.

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:19 pm

ANY MORE NERDS UP TO BRAVE THE DUNGEONS OF LOOT

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:09 pm

... Sure. I'm intrigued.

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:52 am

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/326 ... Sheets.pdf

Just need a bit more interest and I'll get the DM guide and we can begin a quest of GLORY

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 am

Dibs on Bard.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:18 am

Aw hell. Sign me up. I've been on the fence about this, anyway.

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:52 pm

^^ I call Wizard. :crossedarms:

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Oh my--Cleric looks amazing. Calling Cleric now. support ftw

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:32 pm

I'll call thief.

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 am

I'm buying the DM guide Wednesday, at which point I'll figure out how we're going to do this. From what I gathered on General Ironicus' sessions, it's easy to use a Pog system for characters to store the important little tidbits, and I can sketch out generic maps. I say generic because a neat thing to do is to have one player assign obstacles in a room, like tables in a room or certain rocks outside.

To keep things smooth-lined I'll use a dice program to confirm actions, just about everything is 2d6 + Mod, I think damage calculation is one of the only exceptions.

No Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin? That's pretty bold. or probably because I would have taken Fighter which seems unique in my tabletop games these days but alas

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:18 am

Okay, well, uh, I guess TECHNICALLY signups are now go? I'll just chalk everyone up so far.

Val: Bard
Bel: Cleric
MK: Wizard
RU: Thief

if you want to sign up don't be afraid to go with a class already taken, half the fun is making your strange party work

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:25 am

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:56 am

So a few things to go over even though I already said some things:

1) 2d6 + Stat mod is the basic rolls. I will use a dice program for this, just tell me what you want to do and I'll roll and apply the appropriate stat.
a) A 10+ succeeds your move with no consequence.
b) 7-9 you succeed still however you face consequences for your action. It's never anything DEADLY but you tend to take damage or are forced into a dangerous situation.
c) 6 or lower you... that's up to me to decide and it's usually not "optimal". At all. HOWEVER. This game is fair! You earn XP! That's GOOD. Sort of. If you don't die at least.

2) If a group of enemies attack, fear not. This damage is calculated that the highest damage out of the group and then +1 for each additional monster, so if it's four goblins doing 2, 3, 1, and 3, you're only taking 6 instead of 9.

3) If you die, no worries. Rezzing is less bothersome than D&D, usually you must fulfill the GM's request or take a consequence (The Lich offers to return your soul but you must take on a trait of the Lich, for example)

4) Bonds: Everyone has a bond to another character. Each major section completed you will review if you completed a bond. IE if Val wanted to make MK fear the arcane arts and did so by detonating the very ground around him with a wag of the hat, that would theoretically instill fear. Completed bonds award XP and once completed you may take a new one.

5) Stats. For all y'all already rolling, we're going by traditional stats. 16, 15, 13, 12, 9, 8. You'll be neg in a stat but that's what teamwork is about.
a) In short: 16 gives a +2 Mod. 13-15 is +1. 9-12 is neutral. 6-8 is -1 and I'll bring up if you go below that
b) I'm not sure but I think if you hit 0 in a stat you're... slightly dead. Not fully but like, braindead or completely paralyzed, something like that.

6) Defy Danger. Basically, you want to act like a hero, you can, but only if you roll very high do you escape unharmed. Still, even if you hit a bad spot, your actions may still win the day.

7) Perilous Journey: When the party starts a march through dangerous territory, members are assigned different roles to keep together and safe. These all require Wisdom rolls.

8 )Technically it's the "end of session" but at various points we will stop and reflect on the journey. This will be a great source of XP to level. To level up, you need (Current level)+7.

9) Be ready to improv. A neat thing from what I listened to on podcasts is party members may be asked to supply information, and this is something they alone will make up on the spot.

For all current players: Once you have decided, please post your character's name, race, class, and starting stats/abilities! I will figure pogs out once I get an idea of what the party of losers look like.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:02 am

[QUOTE="Empty Loot, post: 1567639, member: 21459"]For all current players: Once you have decided, please post your character's name, race, class, and starting stats/abilities! I will figure pogs out once I get an idea of what the party of losers look like.[/QUOTE]

How much time do we get to do this? also you better not take forever when it comes to hosting and having us take turns, unlike another host who has a game going right now *coughcough*

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:43 am

^ Ian?

Name:
Nard (the Bard)
Class: Bard
Race: Human

Alignment: Neutral
Looks: Breathtakingly handsome, exceptionally muscular, piercing eyes, gorgeous hair, sharply dressed

STR: 12
DEX: 13
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 9
CHA: 15

Staring Moves: Arcane Art, Charming & Open, Bardic Lore (A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual), A Port In The Storm
Starging Gear: Dungeon Rations, Mandolin, Leather Armor, Dueling Rapier, Halfling Pipeleaf

Did I miss anything important?

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Name: Galois
Class: Wizard
Race: 1/4 Elf, 3/4 Human
Looks: about 5'5'', thin, somewhat scrawny; emerald, wide eyes; 4 inch Red hair w/1 inch silver tips; wearing a black hooded robe

Str:9
Dex:12
Con:15
Int:16
Wis:13
Cha:8

Starting Moves: Cast a Spell(INT), Prepare Spells, Spellbook(Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Invisibility, Cure Moderate Wounds(Racial); MM and DetectMag Prepared, if it's legal to prep spells pre-game), Spell Defense, Ritual

Gear: Spellbook, 5 Dungeon Rations, Bag of Books(5 Uses), 3 Healing Potions, Staff, 3 Antitoxin

I assume that Cantrips are one-shot (Until I get them back via Prepare Spells)?

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:57 pm

The wording is a bit ambiguous but judging by posts reacting to D&D 5e having cantrips be unlimited yeah they're most likely one shot between preps. And prepping spells before the game is fine, I'm assuming the party is resting when they meet up.

[QUOTE="Hallowgarmander, post: 1567645, member: 30663"]^ Ian?

Name:
Nard (the Bard)
Class: Bard
Race: Human

Looks: Breathtakingly handsome, exceptionally muscular, piercing eyes, gorgeous hair, sharply dressed

STR: 12
DEX: 13
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 9
CHA: 15

Staring Moves: Arcane Art, Charming & Open, Bardic Lore (A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual), A Port In The Storm
Starging Gear: Dungeon Rations, Mandolin, Leather Armor, Dueling Rapier, Halfling Pipeleaf

Did I miss anything important?[/QUOTE]

don't make me give you thin body, poor clothes, wild hair, and fiery eyes

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”