Getting older with technology that the previous generation didn't have

Moderator: Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds

ScottyMcGee

Getting older with technology that the previous generation didn't have

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I don't exactly know where I'm going with this other than sharing my sentiments and bringing them up.

Growing up, I sometimes sat with Mom as she showed me really old photos of people long gone from her life in Cuba. My father barely has any remaining photographs of his time in Colombia, but whatever is left feels like an ancient, delicate relic.

This made me feel like the past was something so far away. It was intangible, impossible to reach or experience, and even kind of like some "lost" or "dark" age.

I wonder how my children would view my past. Today, memories are created, recorded, and archived every second of every day. Your children may not view your past as this far away "legendary" time before them. Know what I mean? If you want to show your kids your time in college, you just log onto Facebook or Instagram and show an entire album of your debauchery. The past won't be a mystery anymore.

How do you think that would affect their view of the past? More or less respect? The same? Would generations after us have a vastly different perspective and grasp of time?

In relation to video games, I wrote a research paper - my last of my academic career actually - about video games and their effects on cognition. It was about how video games have always been stigmatized as this negative nonsensical plaything, with assumed negative effects on the mind. But psychological research has revealed the exact opposite - showing a great number of beneficial effects that video games have on our cognition. While it may not seem apparent to you or us on a daily basis, we definitely have better reaction times and faster rates of processing information than our parents' generation - all because we grew up with and still play video games. I wonder then how this will come into play when we get old - like 70 plus. Will we still retain, however less than now, a faster cognition than our parents did when they got old? If more and more people play video games throughout their entire lives - will we see less and less old people becoming senile and demented? Does this also mean that we could see more older people still doing work in the future? I don't mean in the grand work force with the young - but I mean still doing their hobbies and semi-retired activities like running their own a small business, like a store and such.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Return to “Life”